myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
clearing the clew on a 7.5
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J64TWB

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject: clearing the clew on a 7.5 Reply with quote

Any tips on water starting a 7.5? I am 140lbs and it’s a beast with my 130 liter board. Takes a huge effort to try and position it, clear the clew or walk down from the tip. Mostly I just uphaul it, but when overpowered that’s a nightmare as well. If there is not enough wind, another nightmare.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turn your board in the direction you need to water start. Its doesn't matter what way you want to go. What ever direction that will make it easy to position your sail. Have the leading edge of the sail on the leeward side of the board with the clue pointing down wind. Pull the sail to the board and push the tail under the boom as near to the center of the boom as you can.
let the float of the board lift the sail out of the water. Keep a hand on the leading edge of the sail for two reasons. First to not allow to much wind under the sail. This will cause the sail to flip over. Second, if you have the board tail under the center of the boom you can pull down of the leading edge of the sail to help free the clue. Try this in waist deep water in order to get the idea. Happy sailing
coachg

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much as NOVAAN described with a few differences. Your boom may be too high or your board too short to rest the boom on the tail.

https://vimeo.com/176803590

This is water starting a 6.6 but I use the same technique on a 7.5 or 8.2. I get the mast & board perpendicular to the wind then swim them upwind until the clew is floating near the surface. I grab the rear footstrap with my trailing arm & push the tail of the board under the water. I use my forearm as a lever to pop the clew out of the water. At 3 seconds you can see the tail of the board under water with the boom resting on my forearm. As I let the tail float back up I pull the rig into the wind-do not lift the rig up as you will bury the clew. Once the clew is flying it is pretty easy to water start.

Another option is to get an Easy Uphaul.

Coachg
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluefish,

Water starting a big sail is all about placement. The mast needs to be close to perpendicular to the wind direction.

it also helps if you are wearing a pdf flotation. That will help you get the leading edge out of the water, and get some wind underneath the sail when you are trying to clear it.

You are 140, I am 200. When I try to clear my 8.5, I often need to submerge myself to lift the mast out of the water. It is a bummer to have to be under the water myself in order to lift the leading edge up, but that is just what I have to do. Perhaps at 140, a 6.5 would be a more effective sail in most marginal wind conditions for you?

IN very marginal wind conditions with my 8.5, I am on an old Formula board. In those conditions, I can uphaul, no problem.
justall

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the above. If still having trouble and desperate, here are a few other tips that help if you are not a purest and/or are OK applying some non-ideal habits:

1). If you are using a cambered sail, push the cams up, using your hand or foot, when you are in the water. This makes it easier for the wind to get under the sail as you position it.

2). If you are unable to practice as much as you'd like and just want to make the waterstart easier, a "waterstarter" (which is basically half a foam pool noodle velcroed around the clew) wrapped around the clew does make things easier.

3). Having your boom a bit lower so that you can position it so that it can rest on the tail of the board, helps the wind get under the sail, too, with less energy from you. But this generally means your boom will be non-optimal (too low) when sailing.

Again, not great habits, but they do help in the short term. Fyi ... Given most common winds in my area, my most used package is a 7.5 cammed sail with a 125L board.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar problems myself.
I think I'm larger than you , but not much. Due in part I no longer use 7.5, but 7.0.. The boom length effects my short arms..in clearing.
I wish I had a magic cure, somewhat the
Position is more critical, if the wind is not marginal things usuall work for me.
I wear a helmet and push up if close to fly the clew.

All the normal things one does just must be done with more precision.

Resting the clew on the tail helps

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Ugly_Bird

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: clearing the clew on a 7.5 Reply with quote

bluefish1 wrote:
Any tips on water starting a 7.5? I am 140lbs and it’s a beast with my 130 liter board. Takes a huge effort to try and position it, clear the clew or walk down from the tip. Mostly I just uphaul it, but when overpowered that’s a nightmare as well. If there is not enough wind, another nightmare.

I'm 145 lb sailing mostly cammed 7.5 on the lakes. For me, waterstarting a big sail morphed into a different sequence comparing to small sails. With the small sail it is easy to position sail first, sweep it aside (clear off the water), fly it and then position the board.
It is harder to sweep heavier sails. You need a support. The board plays the perfect one. So, it is better to position the board first, then take care of the sail.
Position the board perpendicular to the wind pointing in the direction you want to go. Grab the board by the rear footstrap with your "rear" arm. Now, grab the mast with your "front" arm and kind of sweep the sail but also pivot the boom against your "rear" arm. Sometimes it even requires to pull down with your "front arm" to help clear the clew off water.
It doesn't require popping the cams, but sometimes I do it anyway when the sail is already flown. If the wind is not strong enough to do it, I pop the top cam with my head and the bottom with the "front" foot. Smile
Also, sometimes while getting the boom on the "rear" arm and pivoting it there has to be further tuned with the position of the board depending on the wind strength.

Good luck!

Andrei.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Life jacket is a big help and really reduces the swimming effort while positioning your gear in deep water. I wear a two buckle short water ski vest
. Works well with a seat harness.
coachg

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point on the PFD. I'm wearing a water ski vest in the video.

Coachg
alap

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. floaty pfd and the helmet
2. all the above works but also: board perpendicular to the wind, mast pointing upwind (a tad towards the tail). Lift the tip of the mast (this is the most physical, and in your case may require full submersion for couple seconds, this is where pfd helps the most).

When tip is cleared walk along the mast towards the boom paying attention to the clew. As you walk the mast may start pointing less upwind and the board may start pointing upwind - not a big deal. Important is to keep clew flying all the time. Staying under the sail as you walk is important (keeping your body on the side of the mast closer to the boom)

The moment you reach the boom and still fly the sail you can push on the mast and correct the board and sail position
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: