myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Speeding Tickets on a Windsurfer?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

based on recent events ....

i empathise with ALL police (regardless of age) and their families !!
NOT easy times - too much violence and intolerance of "others" Embarassed
Goodwind

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a new one. Windsurfing in Illinois back in the late 90's, I was asked by a water cop to get off the water because I didn't have light on my watercraft passed 6 or 7PM. That was in early July with the sun still pretty high up in the sky. Rolling Eyes
RickCronk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rye, NY eh? Did you have your life vest on board, and your whistle or horn? As per NYS boating regs?
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the time to bash the brave people that risk their life to keep us safe. If you think they are wrong, be armed with enough knowledge of the local rules to politely inform them. Be rude to them and you are going to get it back twice. Walk a mile in their shoes and you might understand what its like to do that job.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thought. Yes sir and no sir goes a long way when dealing with these issues. show respect..
J64TWB

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got stopped in a “slow, no wake zone” before 10am. Deferent than just a no wake zone. I treated them with respect, played dumb, “you mean I can’t windsurf”? They thought about it, and decided to leave me alone. Not sure they had ever seen one move so fast and were confused as what to do. I wasn't leaving a wake, but I wasn’t going slow. The rule in my opinion was designed for power boats on our lake, but our rule is not specific about that. It’s all going to depend on they type of cops they are and the situation. Always best to try and make friends.

If it happens again and they are more stubborn, I will probably remind them I have the right of way over the dozens of powerboats in non no-wake hours and they better defend me to all the violations I have received.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you're able to say, "Yessir, yessir, three bags full" while thinking, "What a total ass! Go catch a terrorist, your numbskull. So I was doing 63 in a rural 60 zone. Get a damned life. Why, I've been driving 68 on this road for 15 years and none of your buddies ever gave a damn. Did your wife catch you with her sister last night?"

Oh, shit; did I say that out loud?
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Class display...

Evil or Very Mad

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
windnutter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the key is to educate the police in the politest possible way so we can all enjoy the water and shed a positive light on our sport. The more 10 year olds that see us lit up on slalom gear while in their dinghy the more windsurfers we will have in the future. The first time I saw a guy in the late 80s on a short board I wanted to be that person as it looked crazy fun.
From a police point of view you can see how a windsurfer doing close on 35mph is a hazard, as to them whats the difference between that and a jetski-they have no idea how hard it is.
I think the key is to go see them on the dock say hi, educate them on the sport and explain you are adhering to the rules if speed limits only apply to motor powered vessels. The more positive we are able to convey the sport in every way with local authorities the better access and fun we will all be able to have now and in the future.
lrrry

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's almost a lost cause anymore. The cops are totally out of control and spend too much time NOT doing their job at our expense.

Personally, I'd be totally happy with absolutely none. The don't care about safety, it's all about control and revenue. The ones on the water are just as bad as the street ones are. And they are NOT here to protect you (like they were hired for).

Now, if stopped, the best plan is to be polite but hold firm to the law. They certainly should be accountable for the law.

Fortunately the Coast Guard is not as bad, but a PITA... they do "safety" inspections at random (even though against our constitution), but are very polite about it.

I've been lucky, with few altercations, but I also will avoid them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: