myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
G2Wing soft wing sail
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:56 am    Post subject: G2Wing soft wing sail Reply with quote

Has anyone tried this sail. Sounds interesting?

http://www.challengersails.com/it/windsurf/vele-2015/gt2wing
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as it is new out of Europe, the tests found are from there
(originally wrote new concept, but that is NOT true)

example: https://translate.google.ca/translate?hl=en&sl=nl&u=http://forum.windsurfing.nl/viewtopic.php%3Ff%3D16%26t%3D13893281&prev=search

this is a double luff sail where the luff extends out
http://forum.windsurfing.nl/download/file.php?id=2376&t=1&sid=38d37d85dd277c8d5cb783c030098732

weight and uphauling are bound to be issues
in the videos I looked at, I could not easily see the wider profile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sitpGHyyxxs
8.4 GT2WING is 988 Euros
plus shipping ?
will be surprised to see or hear about one here
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is supposed to be the advantage?
AeroForce came out with white double foils in 1984. Some racer's used them and they were OK.
Around 2006, almost all the slalom and race sails started out with big wide sleeves, then shrank down so the top 4 battens were almost RAF, no wide sleeve at all.
I"m sure you have seen them on the water. What is the advantage over narrow sleeves and RAF?
I have early generation wide sleeve WARP North's. I find the older narrower sleeves every bit as fast, and much easier to rig and sail.
Most design guys think about 1/3 is enough span for the double sleeve, and only to just above the boom.
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to understand the advantages too.

They are making some pretty bold claims including "No other windsurf sail on earth can compete with ours in terms of lightness and steadiness."

If this is true then it sounds like a sail I would be interested in.
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"No other sail on earth can compete with our's in terms of complication, fragileness, YOU do the R&D, need for constant maintainance and development, and adaptation, for an minute gain in stability accompanied by a huge gain in headache's and problems".
Why not just buy a race/slalom sail that has been under development for 12 year's already, sold to the public, and proven to be somewhat useful for the very top end of professional racer's?
Yet still, the very top end of amateur expert level sailors DO NOT use this kind of sail even for go fast sailing, or if they did, they found fellow sailors just as fast as them using narrow sleeve sails.
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, your message is a bit different than what they are saying, LOL
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My message should be different.
It's based on 33 year's of shortboarding experience, Team Seatrend, Haut, and National Gaastra rider since 1985, worked at windsurf shops since 1983 until 2003, went to almost all the AWIA conventions, know most of the industry player's, bought new complete gear from 1985 until 1993 EACH year, and have been shortboarding at least 80 days a year since '84 to last year, with one year off for whitewater kayaking in the foothills.
I"m just sick and tired of all the hoopla CLAIMS that their new products are superior in ANY way than what is currently offered on the market.
You want state of the art race/slalom gear? Buy a 2016 or '17 Neil Pryde race or slalom sail, everyone else does, around now, and then modifies their current prototypes to resemble what NP offers.
whitevan01

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I"ve still got a couple of old Freedom Maui double luff sails from the late 80's. they were good in their day, but a bear to uphaul/waterstart.

not much new under the sun, it seems.
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, those Whidden Freedom wide luff sails were really light, made of super light thin material, and lasted just fine.
We stayed at one of his rentals just NE of Paia, past the cemetary, and he let us use some of those wide luff sails.
Only thing was, I"d sail up to Hookipa/Mama's most days from there, so used wave sails, the the rest of the crew sailed down to Kanaha or just drove down from there, so also only used the wave sails we brought.
nw30

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
What is supposed to be the advantage?
AeroForce came out with white double foils in 1984. Some racer's used them and they were OK.
Around 2006, almost all the slalom and race sails started out with big wide sleeves, then shrank down so the top 4 battens were almost RAF, no wide sleeve at all.
I"m sure you have seen them on the water. What is the advantage over narrow sleeves and RAF?
I have early generation wide sleeve WARP North's. I find the older narrower sleeves every bit as fast, and much easier to rig and sail.
Most design guys think about 1/3 is enough span for the double sleeve, and only to just above the boom.

Those Aeroforce sails were pretty popular in the mid-late 80's at Lopez lake in Ca., rode several different sizes myself. They'd go fast, lock into a cruising position to where you could just fly across the lake with hardly holding onto the booms at all. We all thought that there could be nothing faster, but then George Greenough would show up with his homemade RAF sail and blow us all away. He tried those sails also but would always go back to his RAFs.
They fell out of favor pretty quickly. Fun while it lasted, but were a major pain to water start if you couldn't keep it from sinking after a crash.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: