myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
2016 Ezzy Elite 6.4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:52 am    Post subject: 2016 Ezzy Elite 6.4 Reply with quote

I got a few sessions on the 5.7 Elite. I think its everything a sail should be.
Good power and incredible range with proper tuning. Any of you guys ride the new 6.4? I like the 5.7 a bunch and was thinking about the 6.4 for a back and fourth lite wind lake sail. I have the 6.5 Cheetah and thinks its a great sail. Just wondering how that new 6.4 compares. It would be nice to have all Elites instead of a mixed bag so to speak...
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That should be a great addition to your quiver.
Me, I'm stoked to pick up an almost new 1997 North IQ 6.5. Rigged it yesterday, no wind, and it rigged up great on a PX 460 mast, although "max" downhaul would take 500 lbs of downhaul pressure, and probably flatten out the draft too much for any useful sailing.
Had a long time North sailor look at it, he's been using them since '92, and he thinks it's fine until I try it. He's on '16 WARP's, although small ones, since he's a foiler now.
My aspirations are a little below the norm.
boneskate81

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:18 am    Post subject: Re: 2016 Ezzy Elite 6.4 Reply with quote

NOVAAN wrote:
I got a few sessions on the 5.7 Elite. I think its everything a sail should be.
Good power and incredible range with proper tuning. Any of you guys ride the new 6.4? I like the 5.7 a bunch and was thinking about the 6.4 for a back and fourth lite wind lake sail. I have the 6.5 Cheetah and thinks its a great sail. Just wondering how that new 6.4 compares. It would be nice to have all Elites instead of a mixed bag so to speak...

I'm using Elite 6.4. I love it. I switched from North IQ 6.5. And don't want to change Very Happy It's powerful and very stable!

U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had both 5.7 and 6.1ELITE. NO experience with 6.4.

My thoughts are still that a 4 batten sail in over 6.0 is not the best concept, 6.1 ..6.0.. Being the sameIMO. Obvious David Ezzy has different thoughts.
I read somewhere the Tiger for 2017 is 4 batten..?

The 6.1 was a great sail, it worked well for me. Rigging on a 430/430, where most of the smaller sizes use a combo RX, 400/430.

I had a 5.9 custom made, so I sold the 6.1, otherwise it would be in the van.

My feeling on battens is for best range 5 are needed, the newer Cheetahs have 5 instead of 6 in smaller sizes, leads me to surmise 6 is too many.

I find that if you have a closely spaced quiver, like 5.7 ..6.1, then 6.4
That the range is covered not so much by each sail but the closeness of the gap, and be prepared to rig down.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:

My thoughts are still that a 4 batten sail in over 6.0 is not the best concept, 6.1 ..6.0.. Being the sameIMO. Obvious David Ezzy has different thoughts.

The 6.1 was a great sail, it worked well for me. Rigging on a 430/430, where most of the smaller sizes use a combo RX, 400/430.

My feeling on battens is for best range 5 are needed, the newer Cheetahs have 5 instead of 6 in smaller sizes, leads me to surmise 6 is too many.

That the range is covered not so much by each sail but the closeness of the gap, and be prepared to rig down.

The new Cheetahs have 6 battens instead of 7 in the smaller sizes. The Elite in 6.4 has 5 battens, not 4.

I have the new Cheetah in 6.5, and have sailed it way overpowered in 22 gusting over 30. It wasn't ideal, but it was stable. My preferred wind range for that sail would be 16 - 18 gusting 25.

I also have last year's Elite 5.7, which I sailed in 24 gusting well over 30. I could have easily been on a 5.3, but the 5.7 is currently my smallest sail. It was also stable, and worked over powered.

I will have more to say about both sails later this year.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gvogelsang wrote:
U2U2U2 wrote:

The new Cheetahs have 6 battens instead of 7 in the smaller sizes. The Elite in 6.4 has 5 battens, not 4.

I have the new Cheetah in 6.5, and have sailed it way overpowered in 22 gusting over 30. It wasn't ideal, but it was stable. My preferred wind range for that sail would be 16 - 18 gusting 25.

I also have last year's Elite 5.7, which I sailed in 24 gusting well over 30. I could have easily been on a 5.3, but the 5.7 is currently my smallest sail. It was also stable, and worked over powered.

I will have more to say about both sails later this year.

Your are correct, sorry for my misinformation.
The 5 battens in the Elite 6.4 and6.8, leads some credibility to my feelings, on number of battens over 6.0.
Since the Elite started as a 4B, I may have changed the name to reflect a difference. Change for next year...?

The cheetahs yes have 6, one less batten below the boom, on 7.0 and down,
Larger are still 7, like you said.

The Taka 4.5 with 3 battens is on of favorites.

NOVAAN

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been on Ezzy Sails since he started his own company. I know what has what for battens. I was hoping to get impressions from someone that has sailed the 2016 five batten 6.4 Elite
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or the 6.8
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVAAN wrote:
I have been on Ezzy Sails since he started his own company. I know what has what for battens. I was hoping to get impressions from someone that has sailed the 2016 five batten 6.4 Elite

Not having ridden the 6.4 or 6.8
And thinking they were similar to the 6.1 w/ 4 battens..
I will bow out .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: