myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Obnoxious kiters at/near Hatchery
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
30knotwind

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seaaiken wrote:

Sure was fun out there!!!

I had so much fun on that Sunday session!
Chris

CUSalin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta say I think it's just plain inappropriate (fucking dumb, stupid, irresponsible, & dangerous jackassery) for a kiter to enter into an area like The Hatchery or Swell at peak season and jam packed full windsurfers. WTF are they thinking?

Think about it, the nearest kite launch is at least 1/2 mile away so they'd have to travel there with a distinct intent to show off, or disrupt matters.

I just don't get it.

trenthightower

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are they thinking? They are thinking that they are going to enjoy some of the best swell in the river....same as you. Most kiters aren't there to disrupt you or any other windsurfer. Most kiters aren't there to show off either. They are there for the exact same reason that you are there. They have every right to be there as well. Deal with it.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hightower 1, CUSalin 0.
But IMO the minute that kiter's antics or huge footprint threaten or impede others, CUSalin scores a touchdown.
CUSalin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trenthightower wrote:
What are they thinking? They are thinking that they are going to enjoy some of the best swell in the river....same as you. Most kiters aren't there to disrupt you or any other windsurfer. Most kiters aren't there to show off either. They are there for the exact same reason that you are there. They have every right to be there as well. Deal with it.

Hmmmm.... Do I detect a belligerent kiter response here?

I do "deal" with it Trent. I have to. But, it doesn't mean I have to approve of it. I don't dispute anybody's "right" to foolishly kite into a packed crowd of windsurfers. Just because someone has "the right," doesn't make it right.
I'm just stating that, in my opinion, it's inappropriate, disrespectful, obnoxious, unwise, dangerous, and if they are going to do it, they should be fully prepared to "deal" with the many they will piss-off.

trenthightower

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. Not a belligerent kiter. I do happen to kite, though. Also happen to windsurf. And I stand corrected. You are indeed "Dealing with it." You're just not dealing with like an adult. Most folks around the hatch abandoned this bullshit attitude 10 years ago. Kiters and windsurfers can and do enjoy the hatchery together on the best of days safely and courteously.
ericandholly

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<<Gotta say I think it's just plain inappropriate (fucking dumb, stupid, irresponsible, & dangerous jackassery) for a kiter to enter into an area like The Hatchery or Swell at peak season and jam packed full windsurfers. WTF are they thinking?

Think about it, the nearest kite launch is at least 1/2 mile away so they'd have to travel there with a distinct intent to show off, or disrupt matters."

I just don't get it.>>

Many of us travel from the Event Site to get the goods. We would be happy to launch from Kodak Point at the Hatchery if that would make you feel better, thereby avoiding the 1 mile upwinder?

Alternatively, you can head head up, or downwind to alleviate some of the congestion. You are also free to launch from the Wundarbar. Nice group of folks there. Very few folks above Swell, and some open slots near Cheap.

Eric
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericandholly wrote:
We would be happy to launch from Kodak Point at the Hatchery if that would make you feel better, thereby avoiding the 1 mile upwinder?

Last time I tried to come in at Kodak, a selfish kiter had the landing and the shoreline tied up by his carcass, lines, and kite for a long time. I gave up and came in at the geriatric cove. (I fit in better there anyway.)

Does anyone seriously object to a 1-mile upwinder, especially on a kite? I do many of them each session, in zero perceptible current, on a wave board w/small wave fin, simply because the downwinders in between are so much fun.
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear kiters,

Go ahead and enjoy the swell, wherever. Because you have every right to do so. But please, don't be stupid about it. Luffing-up/pinching windsurfers (just because you can point higher than a windsurfer) isn't funny to anybody except maybe yourselves. And it can be even more dangerous in a crowd.

Don't be daft; I think you know exactly what you're doing when you luff up. And remember, kiters: you don't really have a craft, and I rarely see a life jacket and only some helmets anymore on kiters. (I guess it's uncool now.) Plus, windsurfers have more tonnage. So that makes you much more at risk if a collision does happen. Or if a windsurfer loses grip on the boom as you are luffing up and the windsurfer stalls into irons. Think about it a little. Don't be daft.

Most kiters are very respectful and safety conscious. But there are obviously a few who are antagonists and incompetents (the ones that drop their kites) at the Hatchery. None of it is funny.

And now I copy the "feelgood"...
The late session tonight was great, punctuated by a nice glassing-out of medium size swell about 6pm. I love it when it does that.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

biffmalibu wrote:
Or if a windsurfer loses grip on the boom as you are luffing up and the windsurfer stalls into irons. Think about it a little.

Laughing

Just reading between the lines ...

But how does a kiter pinch a WSer into irons? Is any self-respecting human going to just roll over and die (or go into irons and jump into the water) just because some ass thumps the IYRU SANCTIONED EVENT rulebook at him and demands that said human simply abandon his path and place to suit said ass's whim?

I don't think so. I think said human's grip strength is going to fail him at that point.

um, Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: