myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Obnoxious kiters at/near Hatchery
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject: Obnoxious kiters at/near Hatchery Reply with quote

The past two days, I have witnessed kiters 1) luffing-up/pinching windsurfers and 2) dropping kites down into the water at the Hatchery. One of those pinches resulted in a near-miss for myself and another windsurfer; I chose to eject before impact (which never happened, fortunately) even though I had right of way (on starboard AND swell).

Some reminders: starboard has right of way. And downwind sailor has right of way. Nevertheless, all sailors are obligated to avoid collision, if possible.

I support Pink Car Bob and others that speak out who can plainly see kiters abusing right of way (via pinching) to cause a problem. It's not funny, and it's dumb. If you can't keep your kite in the air, stay away from other sailors. You obviously don't have what it takes to be safe in a crowded zone. It's dumb to do so. I suppose I should post similar in a kite forum.
ericandholly

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn kiters!

oh wait...
http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=31515
Seaaiken

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's crowded out there and tensions are high. This is peak season and all will pass soon. But we don't need to support the Pink Car way of yelling at people. Seriously, that's the last thing we need. Just spread out a bit more folks, there is lots of room out there if you go up or down wind a bit. If a kiter or another sailor is getting on your nerves, just sail away from them. I find good swell all over the place out there.
Smile more, wave and have fun out there. It's been a killer summer so far. Very Happy

Last edited by Seaaiken on Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
windoggi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody goes there anymore...its too crowded

Yogi Berra

Seaaiken

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear Swell city is a lot less crowded and everyone follows the rules up there.
Wink
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Obnoxious kiters at/near Hatchery Reply with quote

biffmalibu wrote:
The past two days, I have witnessed kiters 1) luffing-up/pinching windsurfers

If you're addressing kites pinching up beneath and from behind WSers, both on the same tack*, here ya go:
1. If the WSer is already pinching as high as he can go, he is the least maneuverable vessel and THUS HAS THE ROW (unless collision is the only alternative), IMO.

2. If the kiter is simply abusing his superior upwind ability and expects the WSer to jump in the water and let the kiter have his way with him, I say "F.Y." After all, IYRU Rule 313, para B, bullet (d) clearly states, "Don't be an asshole". The kiter should bear off 10 degrees, go on by, and resume his upwind trek .... just as I do when I'm the pincher.

3. At the very least, the overtaker/pincher --- whether he's on a kite, a WSer, or one hell of a kayak -- should take these three vital steps:
a. Make sure the sailor he's threatening is much smaller. I suggest he starts with girls ... and be very careful even then.
b. MAKE SURE HIS TARGET KNOWS HE'S COMING. World champ racerhead Byron Marsh forgot that unstated rule decades ago and looked pretty damned silly bailing at top upwind speed three feet before ramming me (on a beam reach) from behind and below. If he had been smart enough to simply yell "Outta my way", or "Hey; I'm BYRON MARSH", or worse, I MIGHT have accommodated him, but my first hint of his existence was this explosion just under my lee armpit. (I felt sorta bad until I learned that he was well known for that kind of attitude and behavior; I hope he never forgot losing out to a turrist on a five-finned, 65-liter Gorge Animal Bonzer wave board on port.)
c. Make sure the intended victim isn't on a $50 board he's willing to sacrifice to teach bullies to go pick on someone else.

* If instead, the pincher is on port and coming at a WSer who's on a steady starboard course:
The first time, ya take the next swell downwind and give him tons of room. Win/win; he can jump, you can slash the swells of your choosing.

The second time, you bear off enough to avoid collision, but not enough to give him room to play. You win because you can take any swell you wish, while he is concerned more with getting his lines clear.

The third time, you get your sail between him and you and stare on your fixed course so he thinks you don't see him, and just ride your starboard railroad track upwind (with one hand on your kite line knife).

In any case, if this is a common occurrence, put a bigger NRA logo on your sail. Very Happy

I've only had one kiter in all these years expect me to jump in the water so he could outpinch me from behind. I simply did my best to pinch 2 degrees higher and/or go 1 mph faster, gazed into his eyes from 10 feet away, then looked back upwind and ignored him. We were the only craft on the river in that 10-mile stretch of the Columbia, so I trusted him to think of a better solution than ramming me.

All by himself, he figgered it out.

GOOD kiter. Smile
30knotwind

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A woman kiter today, Sunday 7/18/16 ~5:30 at Hatch, was not competent enough to be the only kiter out there when the wind ramped up--just saying. It got REALLY crowded and was REALLY fun, but too tight for a sketchy kiter in the mix, IMHO.

I was waiting for a chance to sail close enough to her--upwind of her--and say something, e.g., kindly asking her to move on, but she left without incident after too many reaches.

To me, it is scary when a kiter is at the Hatch and does not show skills to be there. I share the river all the time with kiters, surf-skiers, SUPs, etc, and LOVE to share the stoke with anyone, smiling and whooping to all, but safety should be the first priority for all of us.

Enjoy! Stay safe!!
Chris

biffmalibu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dislike apathy and see far too much of it these days. People get their feelings hurt by even the nicest and kindest communiques. Therefore, I support saying SOMETHING rather than doing NOTHING, especially when the issue relates to safety. Short of threats of violence, even yelling is something I support. I leave it up to the individual what they say and how they say it. It's better than saying/doing NOTHING for fear of hurting somebody's feelings.

P.S. LOVE Yogi. Great player too.
Seaaiken

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

30knotwind wrote:
A woman kiter today, Sunday 7/18/16 ~5:30 at Hatch, was not competent enough to be the only kiter out there when the wind ramped up--just saying. It got REALLY crowded and was REALLY fun, but too tight for a sketchy kiter in the mix, IMHO.

I was waiting for a chance to sail close enough to her--upwind of her--and say something, e.g., kindly asking her to move on, but she left without incident after too many reaches.

To me, it is scary when a kiter is at the Hatch and does not show skills to be there. I share the river all the time with kiters, surf-skiers, SUPs, etc, and LOVE to share the stoke with anyone, smiling and whooping to all, but safety should be the first priority for all of us.

Enjoy! Stay safe!!
Chris

I noticed her too. I think she realized it wasn't that fun for her to be at the hatch and moved on. She looked nervous and a bit uncomfortable. I kept an eye out and some distance too.
Sure was fun out there!!!
h2olm

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all,
I agree with Mr. Seaaiken, it has been an awesome summer so far.
I do go both ways. I kite and sail. Have been sailing the Hatch sine mid 90's. I just wanted to point out that a LOT of kiters do not come from a sailing background so they have absolutely no idea what ROW even means. This is really bad in a crowed kite setting much less mixed in with windsurfers. I am not making excuses for irresponsible kiters, but it is just an observation I thought should be noted. I like the idea of turning and sailing away from any potential danger when possible.
Hope the rest of the season is just as good as it has been.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: