myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Fin too big ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think isobars may have a point
rather than changing things - learn to work with them
if i am not mistaken , Ittiandro has changed his board five times since 2009
SB RIO 195 -> Rocket 145 -> BIC 293 -> Mistral Competition -> BIC WindSUP
that's almost once a year
as he says ... this WindSUP is "better than any shortboard yet"
then make the $10 change U2U2U2 offers ... or learn to ride it

these changes apply not only to Franco's boards, but also to his sails
the SailWorks sail is just a sample
on other sails, the battens were shortened (?huh?)

too many changes just confuses the issue

this post went from "fins too big"
to "is my boom too low"
to ittiandro's WindSUP Smile
Brian.bigfella@gmail.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you aren't planing the only way a fin can really be too big is if it's dragging on the bottom. Yes, bigger/more fins will create drag, but if you cruising along at a happy 5 knots, who cares?

Once the board starts planing it's a whole different ball game. The fins at that point aren't just providing stability and pointing ability. They provide lift, which is why race boards have the straps WAY on the outside rail, so that you can hold down the fin. The faster you go, the more lift you have. The advantages of a longer fin is they give you a platform to work against to get on a plane and the can go much further up wind.

One of the worst wipeouts I ever had was when I went out from the Event Site on a 95cm lightwind board with a 70cm formula fin in 13-16. I went up to the Hook and started back and the wind came up. On my last reach back into the Event Site my fin decided to show my 280 pounds who was boss and launched me right into my boom. How much force does it take to snap a carbon boom clean in half? Whatever force 280 pounds going 30mph is does it.

My fin was too big, I was holding down an 8.5 fine.

If you aren't doing things that a mentally deficient person does (like I do) you'll probably never have "too much fin". Your fin will become uncomfortable before it decides you're going to fast. If you aren't planing a larger fin will give you more pointing ability with the drawback of limiting you to deep water.

I like the centerboard and thrusters. That would allow you to take the board out in waves easy with onshore wind and then have fun on the waves. The only drawback is extra drag, and that doesn't sound like an issue. Stick with your current setup.

That's my attempt to tie this all together.
ittiandro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joethewindsufa wrote:

rather than changing things - learn to work with them
if i am not mistaken , Ittiandro has changed his board five times since 2009
SB RIO 195 -> Rocket 145 -> BIC 293 -> Mistral Competition -> BIC WindSUP
that's almost once a year

these changes apply not only to Franco's boards, but also to his sails
the SailWorks sail is just a sample
on other sails, the battens were shortened (?huh?)

too many changes just confuses the issue

this post went from "fins too big"
to "is my boom too low"
to ittiandro's WindSUP Smile

Joe

The fact that I have changed the board five times in probably 7 or 8 years ( not 5 ) is less an indication of an ongoing problem ( supposedly because I don’t want to learn how to work with the boards), than with my failure to understand for such a long tome that there is not one windsurfing( and one type of board) but two: shortboarding/planing and longboarding, each with its own learning curve and degree of complexity in the technique.

I really regret that I didn’t come to the WindSup earlier! It would have saved me a lot of money and frustration too!

Indeed, I have to say that on a 1-10 satisfaction scale , with the WindSup, I’m now at 8 or 9, because with it I have finally been able to achieve my goal , however modest for some: to hop on the board and sail away in 10-12 knts, perhaps even planing if the winds are good.
IN such winds, this has always been impossible for me with the shortboards, because they are simply not made for this.

My recent discussion only regarded some small problems,after all, which call for only minor adjustments both in the equipment ( better fin) and, to a lesser degree, my technique.

As to my modification of the sails by shortening battens, removing cams or doing…. Frankenstein-like experiments in order to improve the light-winds performance, ( essentially removing the planing bias and tighten the leech), sure, most “ conventional” sailors will frown upon me ...
To me, on the contrary, these modifications , far from being a part of the problem, as you say, have been beneficial: with a modified, old, 5.6 m2 , I can now sail in 12 knts winds, whereas before even a 7.5 or an 8. 5 was insufficient, without counting that by modifying the sail, I didn't have to buy a new ( or used) mid-range sail.

As a matter of fact, I sold both the Ezzy 7.5 and the Severne Focus 8.5.

Now my quiver is reduced to the N.P. Garda 6.2 for light winds and the Sailworks Race 5.6 ( modified) ,for more robust winds, both OLD, but fully adequate.

If I am able, as I am, to sail up and down the huge Taureau Lake round here, (without falling and and at a satisfactory speed) I must not be lacking that much in the technique fundamentals and don't need any additional equipment, certainly not a new board!
All I need at this point is perhaps a better rear fin( and, of course, polish my technique, according to the suggestions made in this Forum) .

In the end, if shortboards and their sails were the only option, it would stand to reason to make an effort to learn how to work with them.
Now that I have my WindSup, this has become a moot issue, anyway, except for some minor adjustments like the rear fin or the mast position.

Those who go for shortboards are just as right in their choice, but for me, why bother with shortboards, when things are so much easier with a WindSup and I can achieve the SAME end-result(SAILING ) without sacrificing my T.O.W., falling off and with a comfortable speed ?
But, to each his own.

If I change my rear fin, Ill post the results here.

Ittiandro
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Series II of winged fins, used to have a slot where the carbon is,
Wing and winglets cut. Need further shape then attached to the fin.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.windance.com/FCS-M3-Green-Flex-Tri-Set-SM.-SUSF00010/

U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another way to bake the cake

joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, but can it do this ?? Confused

U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difference between a FIN and a foil

joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know, but your fin looks "foilish" Smile

first time I have seen that !!
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary, I love that you take chances. No one can't say that you don't push the envelope, and you've got the goods to prove it.

Another guy, Wolfgang Lessacher, thinks out of the box. Actually, some years ago, Wolfgang was adding horizontal foils to windsurfing fins, to include holes in the nose of boards to channel air flow and reduce nose lift.

Today, I used a Lessacher 28cm asymmetrical carbon Duo Weed fin on my Mike's Lab at Leadbetter Beach in Santa Barbara. With my 7.0 Sailworks Retro, I was styling through the weeds like they weren't there. Lessacher's weedfins are incredible, and nothing is lighter. Super trick fins like no one else.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: