myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Port of Redwood City

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject: Port of Redwood City Reply with quote

A question for anyone who has sailed this spot:
where do you launch?
What conditions or wind readings (i.e 3rd Ave?) do you look for good sailing.
What effect does the tide have?
What kind of gear works best?

Thanks, bert
mark

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do an author search for sailwave. He has posted information on this site along with some windsurfing videos.
SwellRipper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject: RWC Reply with quote

Hi Bert,

Yes, nice sailing at Dumbo channel marker 14 on July 4th. Nice waves up there and some side-off like wind - good fun.

In regards to Redwood City, I like launching at the end of Seaport Blvd into the Westpoint Slough, but it's not for everyone. The sailor has to be proficient at backwind sailing and tacking to get full benefit and for safe sailing. Bert you have the requisite sailing skill and adventurous spirit to make it work. Your average sailor, however, could become frustrated there and possibly endanger themselves.

There's a large grassy area for rigging. The launch is off crappy broken concrete rocks. Watch out for rebar and other crap. I've launched with as little as 2 feet of tide. It may be a bit easier at higher tides to launch and land because less rock to scramble.

Once in the Westpoint Slough you may have to make many short reaches and tacks to access Redwood Creek. The water is very flat in these side channels. Once into Redwood Creek you can sail out towards the open Bay. Once in the open Bay the inside is generally flat. Sailing further out, approximately a mile plus, you can encounter very good, clean, organized swell in the channel, even further out you get into large bumps. This extremely fun, but remote sailing, best to sail with a radio and buddy. There is a fair amount of sailboat traffic so can be a leg of safety in case of emergency.

As far as gear, I'm 195#, and generally use 5.3 to 5.8 there with a 106L. I recently got a 100L board, but I think at my weight it's too small to safely sail there if the wind drops.

On a west wind you can sail the inside channels but not reach the Bay because it would be too far downwind. On a northwest wind you can make it out to the open Bay. We generally get out there have some fun and try to get back before the wind drops. And it drops! I've ghosted in on glass water while be passed by paddle craft. The worst scenario, is the wind turns west when you're trying to return, this will test your mettle as a sailor because many short reaches and tacks would be required to get back home. And it's like Palo Alto, in that there's marshland all around so there's no last chance anywhere to bailout. Although shell beaches expose at lower tide, they're on isolated marshland island so there's no walking home.

There are other launches deeper in the main harbor, that formula sailors and others may use. I don't sail there so will leave for others to detail.

In conclusion, if you can get out to the open Bay in Redwood City, it offers great windsurfing conditions. However, my big caveat- it's truly an expert sailor's only launch if used for accessing the open Bay. Bert you can handle it you have the gear selection and skill. But WARNING- your typical plug and play 3rd Ave shortboarder may not have the light wind skill to get out, and more importantly- make it back in!

https://youtu.be/oFDN5POUj-c

https://www.flickr.com/photos/93351417@N06/albums/72157669667373661

c3m4

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been sailing there quite a bit lately. I launch at the Marine Science Institute - nice artificial turf rigging area and a small beach - really nice beginner spot that no one seems to know about.

I'm usually on an old Equipe longboard with and 8.5 sail (205lbs). You need a daggerboard or formula board to make it out to the bay unless the wind direction is just right. I see a few other people occasionally on RSX or formula boards.

There is a wind sensor (on iWindsurf) in the port that tends to read a little high for most of the rest of the harbor. Tides don't seem to matter much unless you have a deep fin - but still plenty of space
-Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: