myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
How do we get longboarding back ??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rollerrider wrote:
Comparing old long boards to new ones is like classic cars to modern ones. They both get from A to B and they are pretty fast. But the old ones are not as efficient or easy to use. Sure looking cool and just slogging around on the old will be fun but not better.

Sound like you have not been on a decent old longboard in a while. Just slogging around is much more fun on a longboard - it's an entirely different feeling from a shortboard or even a SUP. Once you can rail up on the daggerboard, which is possible earlier than planing (unless you are willing to use 10+ m sails), it's an entirely different (and fun) game.

Sure, the Starboard Phantom may be even better at doing that, and weighs less ... if you got almost $4K to spend, and don't mind having to deal with repairs.

Carrying the gear to the water takes about 5 minutes. Once on the water, they weight does not matter. Well worth the effort for hours of fun. The $125 I spent on my Mistral Pandera was my second-best investment in windsurfing ever (right after ABK camps).

If you want to compare cars, a new shortboard in 10 mph wind is like a family van on a nice summer day; the longboard is an old VW Beetle cabriolet.
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awalkspoiled wrote:
Another thing which would really help is if we encouraged sailmakers to build longboard-optimized sails - longer booms, tighter leeches and fuller shapes. I recently picked up a used Ezzy Zephyr (7.5) which is just such a sail. To some extent it duplicates the windrange of my Cheetah 8.5 but in subplaning conditions or up and down marginal planing conditions it’s a lot more fun than that sail and way less work than my 10.0. Easy to pump, easy to rig, and very grunty for its size. Reminds me a lot of sails from the ‘80s when 7.5 was considered a big rig!

The Kona sails are just about that and they are decently priced. They can be rigged either with tight or loose leech, making them quite versatile. Sizes are from 5.8 to 9.8.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Longboarding is very much alive and well, and I think we are beginning to see a resurgence. I just got back from the East Coast Windsurfing Festival at Kalmus Beach in Hyannis Ma. and I was surprised to see so many longboards, at least a few dozen, mostly older Mistral Equipes, Fanatic Ultra Cats, F2 Lightning Race, a few windsups, and one Starboard Phantom 377. Conditions were quite good for a wide variety of boards, 13 - 19 mph most of the time.

One guy, who was a very good sailor used the Phantom Race with a 9.5 the whole time and really rocked, doing light wind freestyle, speed sailing and course racing and no one could touch him in course racing.

Life is so much simpler when you only have a few boards to choose from. A longboard for 5- 20+ and a sinker for when it's windy is what I used 25 years ago. What more does the average person need?

It would be nice if there were more open class races for longboards, so that people could just get together and have fun. Not everyone can afford a Kona one, or a Phantom Race, but there are lots of old Ultra Cats, Equipes, Alpha Race, F2 Lightnings out there in good condition for little coin that are competitive with the Kona One.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slinky wrote:
What more does the average person need?

Fortunately, the sport isn't about need. It's about WANT. Very Happy
scottybda

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took part in the Bart's Bash on Sunday on my Phantom 377.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j9Q9h7Foac

Was great to see how much quicker the moths and kites would be on the up and downwind course, almost half my time on the Phantom 377. I was thinking to use the slalom kit, but the sheltered course layout with many islands and almost exactly up and downwind wind angle put me off doing so.

They staggered the start with the keel boats, we got lighter wind for the first part so I imagine the windsurfers times would have shaved 5 mins off what we got if it was as it was a bit later.
scottybda

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me to make longboarding return as such would to do long distance events that are not buoy to buoy sort of run. Can't do everywhere but an event that runs between islands and zig zags here or there would be fun.

Could stagger the start based on a handicap system so slower boards / riders start first.
konajoe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I see. Take a guy who's biggest setup is a 5.5 and 100ltr board. And let's say he's got 9 buddies with the same setup, and they all go to the beach, and there's not enough wind for any of them. Now, let's say I guy shows up with a Kona and a big sail, and goes blasting. All of those guys look at each other, and nod "we cool", and that guy is some kind of geek. As long as they're in that group, they would never consider a longboard.

Now switch it around, where there are 10 Konas blasting, and that same 1 guy is sitting on the beach with his 5.5. NOW, he's thinking about a longboard.

It's so hard to break out of the mold, and do something others consider uncool.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, schmool. Some of you guys are overlooking the very real, substantive, visceral reason countless thousands of WSers are not interested in longboarding or big gear in general. Once again and altogether now:
the water's (normally) flat. i.e., it's not about the sail and board size, but the terrain that goes with it.

I'd be trying what Ingerbritsen's doing with a Kona in a heartbeat if I had easier access to it, but I -- and another few hundred thousand other WSers -- don't.
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am hooked on a long board. I have a Kona CarbOne and the Ezzy 7.5 Zephyr.

It is a great combination that handles 95% of the wind I encounter. On a really windy day I use a smaller sail, but the CarbOne handles great in all conditions.

This setup offers really early planing with a 50cm racing fin, excellent speed in choppy conditions, it is easy to catch swells, and really lets me go all over the bay with confidence that I can always get back.

I have to admit it is a lot more fun than all other boards and sails I have used.

I am going faster than most kiters and windsurfers and kept up with a fast iSonic 90L board too, which surprised me.

There are two reasons it is very fast. My location is choppy, and this board cuts through the chop easily and gives one a lot of confidence to keep pushing faster.

The other reason is the Ezzy 7.5 has a lot of pull, even in light winds, and it has a wide range, so you do not have to change to a smaller sail when the wind picks up, and you can put everything it puts out into this board with confidence.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it's a numbers thing. You need to grab 19 or your buddies with
long boards, and hit the water in front of those guys.

One of the last times I was rigging my 9.5 Retro and Angulo Sumo (in
12MPH winds) a lady came over to me and asked what I was rigging.
When I told her, her somewhat disdainful response was " I only have a 5.5.
My response as I beach started right off to a plane was " then you won't be
sailing today" ;*)

-Craig

p.s. cool is what I do.

konajoe wrote:
This is what I see. Take a guy who's biggest setup is a 5.5 and 100ltr board. And let's say he's got 9 buddies with the same setup, and they all go to the beach, and there's not enough wind for any of them. Now, let's say I guy shows up with a Kona and a big sail, and goes blasting. All of those guys look at each other, and nod "we cool", and that guy is some kind of geek. As long as they're in that group, they would never consider a longboard.

Now switch it around, where there are 10 Konas blasting, and that same 1 guy is sitting on the beach with his 5.5. NOW, he's thinking about a longboard.

It's so hard to break out of the mold, and do something others consider uncool.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: