myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
How do we get longboarding back ??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian_S

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For just the fun factor, there's always the Original Windsurfer:
http://www.originalwindsurfer.com/site/index.html

Ted Schweitzer holds some fun regattas and I've heard that they are still a lot of fun.

techno900

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg said:
Quote:
I left out the rider & focused on the board for obvious reasons. One man's bliss is another's bordum.

You nailed it. I raced longboards beginning in 1984 and it lasted until course-slalom and formula came into being. I still have my 1985 Superlight and have raced it a few times in the last 5-8 years.

Racing a longboard is a kick, but cruising on one is just as coachg said: boredom. I think the lack of racing hampers the growth of longboards. In some areas of the country, there are enough longboards and regattas to help keep it alive.

My last racing longboard (other than the Superlight) was a Mistral Equipe II XR, but if not racing, I didn't sail it. I preferred planing on smaller stuff. Once Formula came into being, there just wasn't a need to keep the Equipe II.

For me, it takes planing and speed to get me on the water. And YES, I know that longboards are fast, since I could pass most novice & intermediate shortboard sailors on my Equipe, but it was more fun to be on a smaller board.

I would rather drive 3.5 hours (each way) to the Outer Banks for a day sail than drive 20 minutes to a nearby lake to get on my Superlight. I did that recently for a few hours on my 5.2 sail and 96 liter board.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what if you drive 3.5 hours and conditions change ??

isobars says don't wait for wind nor chase wind - move to where there is wind more often ...

drove 20 minutes with 20-40 kph winds predicted and schlogged about on JP SLW92 and TR-4 10-oh
Marc told me there were sections where people were planing, but i just never found them

told myself this would not happen again
next time 20-40 kph SW was predicted, I brought the Equipe and 8.x sails along in case
again , winds were less than 16 knots and had a blast on the Equipe
was out more than the kites

NOT saying smaller boards n sails, speed and planing are not fun
am bringing the Equipe along JUST IN CASE
can't go when the wind calls and so gotta go have TOW and FUN when we can
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there was a perfect long board to increase one's windsurfing experience, everyone would agree, and most would have one. The original Windsurf was a fine board, given the times and the technology. The Mistral Superlight was even better in every way - upwind, downwind, planing.

It would seem that there is no such consensus anymore.

The Kona comes pretty darn close, it would seem, to an all-around great long board.

The Kona Carbone comes closer, as it is lighter and has a mast track, and better dagger board. But it is darn expensive.

I am saving up to buy a Carbone. I wish that it were less expensive, and more people could experience one. It would be fun to do some non-serious racing on Carbones where I sail, but most of my fellow sailors cannot afford one.

Should I buy a Kona when the Carbone is lighter, has a mast track, and might be more fun? That is a serious question, with all kinds of implications.
acalhounguy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Longboards are good for learning windsurfing and for racing and probably for riding surf (which I haven't had opportunities to do). The last time I tried to really go out in wind and waves at my local spot I caught the board on a wave and nearly broke my ankle. A smaller / lighter short board can be moved more quickly to react to changing water conditions / gusts etc.

I think the Kona One will survive. WindSups will survive because SUP is big. The inflatable windSup is the thing and is going to be the entry point for windsurfing going forward, i.e. people will want to buy a short board after planing on an inflatable windSup. Long-boarding as a destination has limited appeal, nothing wrong with that, but I don't think it will be big on its own again. I learned to windsurf on an old mistral longboard and boy am I glad I had it to learn on. I will never sail it again. My Exocet windSup might not get used this whole season unless I am teaching with it but it is a good board to leave in the garage for that purpose. As for me, if the wind is down I'll be reading a book or pulling my kids wakeboarding, if I can plane I'll be out there. If I lived on the coast I'd probably be out with the windSup a lot more in surf which sounds like a lot of fun.
Awalkspoiled

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cruising a longboard is a really different event than driving a slalom board to its limit or hammering a wave board around in the surf, but if I could only ever do one, it would be cruising, given a real cruising location. The most pleasurable times on the water for me have always been out on a big board in conditions where nothing else would have really worked - working upwind from Eastham to Duxbury and flying back down past whales and tuna and who knows what else, tooling around in Newport Harbor while the Aussies celebrated their first America’s Cup, coasting into New London from Block Island when a huge nuke surfaced 200 yards away, racing the ferry from Woods Hole to the Vineyard (OK, you could do that on a Formula board but could you slog back through those currents when the wind dropped?).

My iffy health won’t let me do those things solo anymore, but I really believe they will come back, and that there will be a reverse migration from kites and foils, to the point where crossings will be a group activity even more popular than racing or wearing out the zipperline across the wind.
coachg

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gvogelsang wrote:
Should I buy a Kona when the Carbone is lighter, has a mast track, and might be more fun? That is a serious question, with all kinds of implications.

Use my list to help figure it out. High on my list was family friendly, teaching ability & being able to race in Kona events. Low on my list was glide as my local lake is small so no place to glide to. The regular Kona was the choice. Not teaching, racing or having kids climb & ride on the board, get the Carbon. It is well worth the money & I noticed used ones have popped up since the olympics decided to renew the useless RSX again.

Coachg
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spot on, awalkspoiled. You clearly see the point.

The sea, and location, is everything! Islands, tide races, swell, variable winds and mountain and cliff wind shadows, unsuspected reefs (sudden breaking swells) to skirt, abundant wildlife, thunderstorms (scary), and the ever present squawking gull colonies who resent your presence, and give us a headache.

In short, the sea is wonderful, and we who are able to tickle its surface on our go anywhere longboards ( when it's not too angry) are truly blessed. All it requires is a vision! And, of course, we are still able to enjoy the adrenalin fuelled wave board surfing when we feel like it. It doesn't HAVE to be either, or! (Which some seem to believe.)
scottybda

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still love my Equipe and IMCO boards. I haven't pulled out the Phantom 377 this year, but still had fun on the pink IMCO!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEld5OY8uK4
Brian.bigfella@gmail.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've mostly decided to get a Kona Hula this year. Not a classic long board, but I think it will match really well with my 9.5 Lion. I'm going to have to retrain myself to use a centerboard.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: