myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Waist Harness - How do you keep yours at belly button?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ctuna

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:15 pm    Post subject: I the first picture you are you have a C shaped stance Reply with quote

In the first picture you have a C shaped stance

This is more of a seat harness stance since you are sitting down
which induces harness creep unless you are wearing a seat harness.

The classic 7 stance wear you are pushing the boom away and
standing straight should help. There is next to no upward force
on the harness if you do this . Look at pictures of good freestylers.

Best stay in place waist harness I have found it the pro limit team wave.
Also super easy to get in and out of.
The dakines wouldn't work at all. They do have a good seat harness though.
I think your body shape is going to dictate which one works for you best.

Last edited by ctuna on Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: I the first picture you are you have a C shaped stance Reply with quote

ctuna wrote:
I think your body shape is going to dictate which one works for you best.

And your sailing style. How many sailors go down the line (or even fake it in big lake swell) in a 7 stance?
scargo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have to wonder at the stated rationale: "I feel like [a seat harness] locks the pelvis too much restricting stance adjustment range."

I feel like I could run a 5k in my seat harness, interspersing sets of burpees and jumping jacks. In other words, it "locks" my pelvis not at all. The only thing the crotch straps do is keep the harness from riding up, which is precisely the problem you're trying to remedy.

Whenever this topic comes up, a consensus seems to form around, "use whatever works for you." And here the waist harness isn't working for you, and the problem you identify would be a non-issue with a seat harness.
ctuna

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject: The thing is is you ever hope to do freestyle or surf Reply with quote

The thing is is you ever hope to do freestyle or surf
a seat harness is very restrictive .
I used seat harnesses when I started and went through
a lot of different types also had to search for awhile
to find the best waist harness .
A seat harness allows you to sit and trainers actually used
to say this was a correct technique. But that is not a good
technique for a waist harness or some would argue a good
technique at all.
coachg

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try on of these. A couple of weeks on this could solve your problem.

https://prosourcefit.com/products/doorway-pull-up-bar?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&variant=5946704323&gclid=CND5xs2cy80CFUWTfgodOeQCng

Coachg
scargo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to needlessly prolong this, but I have to take issue with the statement that the "figure 7" stance is necessarily the best. To be sure, it's a nice visual cue for someone who is squatting down too much. But here's a nice blog entry detailing a lesson in which none other than Matt Prichard teaches a "figure 6" stance.

http://boardsurfr.blogspot.com/2011/07/lessons-from-matt-pritchard.html

As for the pullup bar, I do pullups every day, can easily do a set of 25 (of the honest, non-kipping variety), and have the lats to prove it. But I still prefer the seat harness because large back musculature only prevents the harness from riding way too high, whereas the crotch straps keep it exactly where I want it.
manuel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I appreciate all of the feedback. Still, I was hoping for a little more feedback from low-waist riders (such as pictured), meaning people wearing their waist harness low. When I see women riding with their harness so high, I cannot imagine how they are able to put any weight in it without having their back scream no more!

Anyway, yesterday I tried tightening the belts a lot on my M and the bar fairly firm. Well on the water, it got really tight, settled maybe a touch lower than usual but when I looked at the bar it's still was a couple of inches away from my body. So I tightened the bar some more. Wasn't great really.

Today I'll try tightening the belts normally but the bar as much as I can. It does seem to loosen a bit when wet or maybe from settling in a narrower spot on the waist I don't know.

It could be that the Dakine T-series isn't a good candidate for low riders? My friend Franzi runs a different Dakine and has his set loose but low (not sliding bar).

isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scargo wrote:
I do pullups every day, can easily do a set of 25 (of the honest, non-kipping variety), and have the lats to prove it.

Try the Superslow approach: 10 seconds up, 10 seconds down, repeat until you cannot budge, repeat every 10 days to two weeks ... longer if losing ground due to incomplete recovery. MUCH better results, MUCH less time spent, zero injury rate. (25 pullups every day is aerobics, not resistance training.)

A waist harness being stopped by one's lats is already impeding lateral/thoracic breathing, at the expense of maximal oxygen exchange and core engagement. The latter also compromises physical performance and exposes our spine to external forces we'd rather protect it from. Maybe that partly explains the large number of people who experience lower back pain with waist harnesses.
scargo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learn to read, Iso. I said I could easily do a set of 25. I said nothing about how I train, whether that includes slow reps, negatives, pyramids, weighted pullups, or anything else (which it does). I only mentioned one-set max because it's a yardstick that the SEALs and others use, so if you have a problem with it, take it up with them. And also please add me back to your killfile, if it exists.
manuel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to mention that harness in the photo is from Mystic.
ION Radium models are getting great reviews.

I believe CAN-9 who has a thread here, rides his waist for slalom, maybe you can share your experience? It does look higher than belly button on this photo...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: