myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
"Instant Uphaul" may become the new waterstart?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justall

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: "Instant Uphaul" may become the new waterstart? Reply with quote

... at least at Cape Cod sites. Just say'n there is a new motivation for leaping back on the board and instantly uphauling, rather than going through the underwater leg-dangling maneuvers of waterstarts: http://m.capecodtimes.com/news/20160310/essentials-great-white-sharks-in-wellfleet-harbor
Derikthin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, with that image in the back of mind I might want to try to stay out with my dangling legs.

I'm sure the chance of an attack is slim.
justall

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derikthin wrote:
I'm sure the chance of an attack is slim.

Yeah, absolutely ... Just the drive to the launch is more dangerous.

That said, I am definitely going to nail a higher percentage of my jibes this year.
shreddbob

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justall wrote:
... Just the drive to the launch is more dangerous.

Yes, the probability among the general population of getting in a car accident is much higher. But I think windsurfers, surfers, swimmers who frequent a "great white highway" like Chatham/Orleans have to apply rules of "conditional probability". They are a small subset of the population that is at much greater risk. And your behavior certainly factors into your individual risk. So if your "presupposing conditions" are you're in a major shark zone, and you're stupidly in the water in the midst of a group of seals, or are spear fishing, with a stringer of bleeding fish on your belt, or are nearby to spear fishing, I'd say your probability goes way up Shocked

We have to think of our human behavior, as it relates to nearby sharks. We can't hide behind the "extremely unlikely" old adage, regardless of our behavior. Here's an article from 2013, a year when Maui was experiencing a spike in shark attacks.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/12/131203-science-shark-attack-hawaii-maui-fisherman-surfer-tiger-australia-bite-ocean/

Some preliminary research I've seen from Hawaii suggests spear fishing, and food scraps disposal in the water (by hotels or from tour ships) may be why certain areas see a spike in shark attacks on humans. If you are unwittingly in one of these hot zones by yourself, watch out.
Derikthin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,
I think you have yet again dropped some serious knowledge on me. =). I'm going to keep an eye out for people fishing and other bait related sports.

That line about the bait made me chuckle though. I know I shouldn't have, but I did.

My 5 year old son was telling me at dinner tonight that reason he doesn't like to go in the water is sharks (my father in law has watched a lot of nature shows with him I guess). So I was telling him there are no sharks where we go. I don't want him to worry about it, or have to go into the reasons that he doesn't have to worry about it.
justall

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shreddbob wrote:
rules of "conditional probability"

I hear ya. Last year, when seals were popping up in the bay during a session, and my cut knee was dripping blood (I think the technical term for that is chumming?), I was thinking the odds of an issue were likely orders of magnitude higher than that of the the average wading-joe.
shreddbob

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windchumming...funny Very Happy
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The Outer Cape ocean is still shark highway". Damn.

Yeah the thing with the odds for the general population of being attacked by a shark have little to do with us. I spent a long minute with a shark eyeing me several years ago when a huge lull left me gagging on the outside...it sucked.

http://www.peconicpuffin.com/the_peconic_puffin/2009/06/windsurfing-shark-encounter.html

shreddbob

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael, yikes! You and I are in the small club of windsurfers who've observed a large shark stalking us. Perhaps they are near us all the time but just not detected by us...but to know it's right there next to you and taking interest is a uniquely spooky experience. At least no chewing was involved in our cases Shocked If I'd ever lived through that I don't know if I'd go back in.

Here's my story that occurred in September 2007:

http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=224728

Bob
justall

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, Peconic and Shredd, those are remarkable stories. Here's hoping my bright orange board and big sail make my neoprene-covered body look unappetizing. Yep ... Don't look bacK, rather, as the song say ... Sail!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: