myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Land Surfing... Anyone have any tips on Boards?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Derikthin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:35 am    Post subject: Land Surfing... Anyone have any tips on Boards? Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG6V-gN0olo

I have a crappy old boom and 2 crappy old sails and 2 crappy old single piece masts.... I've also been watching some pretty interesting land windsurfing videos.

So I was wondering if anyone out there has some tips on land boards? I'm enjoying the water right now, but thought maybe this would be fun if the winter time show's up with no snow.

Thanks again gang.

I have far to much time on my hands at work =(

Derik
gorgesurfshop

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the latest issue of Windsurfing Now. Dana Miller has a great article on skate sailing.
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Derik,

For most windsurfers the nearest sailable parking lot (about 200' x 200' for beginners) is closer than the nearest lake and is also open & lighted at night.

When you step off while still moving, front foot first or you'll be practicing a split.

For the deck, longer is better, wider is better.

Inflatable tires (6 to 8 inches) are much better than skateboard wheels (quieter, smoother and very much safer ride.) Skateboard wheels are much more dangerous at slow speeds, such as when turning, stopping, or starting. At less than 5 mph a quarter inch pebble or a half inch bump or crevice can stop a skateboard wheel while a 6 inch diameter tire would just roll over it.

The rider weight limitations for mountain boards that might be jumped doesn't apply to parking lot sailing.

Use older already beat-up booms & sails. But avoid really old cloth sails which flop too much for good balance.

Protect yourself. While parking lot sailing yesterday with the temperature at 88 F, my protection was a motorcycle helmet, elbow pads, knee pads, wrist guards, and sweatpants & a long sleeved sweatshirt.

Mountain boards with 6 to 8 inch inflatable tires such as from MBS, or a Streetsailing board with 12 inch tires, or other similar products that have tires that are much larger than skateboards are what you want. Note the sailor in the video you linked is on a mountain board with inflatable tires 6 to 8 inches in diameter. (He also has an adapter added to the nose to put the mast base out further.)

For parking lots I would have said a Carveboard is the best, but sometime in the past year they dropped the "Dragon Paw" tires from their line and now use skateboard style wheels. Search "Carveboard" on YouTube. Most of those videos clearly show Carveboards with the inflatable tires. "Carveboard Sailing" is a short video of parking lot sailing without a closeup of the tires. The fat tire model can still be found as a used board. (3 old style Carveboards on eBay now.)

I believe (without any personal experience on sand) the best board for sailing hard packed sand is available from www.streetsailing.net with 8, 10, or 12" tires. Streetsailing has a Facebook page.

I've found most of my boards for parking lot sailing through Craigslist. EBay also works. If enough of us get into land sailing we'll eventually be listing them on iWindsurf.com.

I now have two Carveboards, an MBS Blade and I'm selling a skateboard with a 44 inch deck (shorter wheelbase). I've had 6 other sizes of mountain board for parking lot sailing.
fishinator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at Guy Trudeau's website: http://pages.infinit.net/gtj101/aw.htm
Good information there and he is making his own windskate tailored boards based on his long term experience with windskating.

Back in the day I did a bit too. I notice that Guy has the mast track behind the front truck, which I think most other models do too. When I did it, I just took an everyday skateboard, drilled a hole in the nose (in front of the front truck) for the universal, and was happy enough with that. I used to skateboard a ton so it felt find and I could manage some tricks, boardslides, etc.. The problem with the mast attachment in front of the mast though is that things go wrong quick if you unweight the board -takes an immediate nose dive due to the weight of the rig.
fox

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Norblan speedsails were very popular up here with our large flat low tide beaches. There were well attended races back in the day.

Great for learning and practice, without too many consequences. Like ice sailing you need to adjust to transitions appropriate for outrunning the wind.

https://www.facebook.com/128280257191921/photos/ms.c.eJw9zskJADEQA8GMljk8h~;JPbMHCehY0SF7uQJhXdyM~;p8~;1Qj4wswh5IzOrnov9yuxdZn~_em~;3I7E1mrz~;Dvp~;39q69Za89sNce2M8PquIwXQ~-~-.bps.a.151199034900043.26245.128280257191921/151199241566689/?type=3&theater
iamjnelson

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit I sail more on the land than the water due to time constraints.

I have 3 skateboards and a mountain board, why let the snow stop you I even have a ski board but not done yet I recently got ice skates for one of the boards (though have not tried them yet).

My favorite is a pin tail long board with Paris trucks. Great for double gybe 360s to slow down and some freestyle. The short board for "fake" flaka type moves.

if a reverse monkey gybe is your thing you need more real estate. The Kahuna Creations Bombera is 5ft! Now you can move around for back to backs, sail throw etc.

I can't do most of this on the water. Land sailing makes you feel like a pro!

I don't use the mountain board made by Terrasail so pm me if interested in it. Works on hard packed sand like Nahant, grass and dirt. Takes more wind and for me travel at which point I go to the water.

Jason
neverboard

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photos of the boards
https://goo.gl/photos/gRGSJfMKjh4PokuY8
Derikthin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow ton's of great input!

Going to have to do some more looking around and such.

Protection I think is really important. Falling off the surfboard in the water has not been to bad, and borderline fun. I don't imagine it would be that way on pavement lol.
iceratz@comcast.net

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WEAR A HELMET!
Shall we need to remind everyone of Craig Stretzel ,famous board maker, who died from concussion while skate sailing?

I sail ICE. We wear motorcycle helmets.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iceratz has a GREAT point
when i go out in winds over 20 knots, I wear a helmet on water
on large bodies of water I wear a life jacket

on ice i ALWAYS wear a helmet and started wearing knee pads after falling
buddy wears rib protection after an incident

when you fall on ice you can slide
when you fall on water, it is fairly soft - depending on speed
when you fall on asphalt #$%^&*^&*(
safety first please Embarassed
why do we ALWAYS have to get hurt BEFORE wearing protective gear ??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: