myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
footstrap positions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J64TWB

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:10 pm    Post subject: footstrap positions Reply with quote

After watching a Jem Hall video on fins and footstrap position on his 102 Freemove, I noticed he changes them from inbound to outbound depending on conditions. It allows him incredible fin range as well.

How many of you change footstrap setups on the same board? I’m afraid of stripping the holes by moving them too much so I have always just left them in the out position on my 105 L freemove, but thinking maybe try inbound in strong conditions to use a 4.7?

Should I be afraid of stripping the holes by moving them too much?
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a bit of advice. Trying to make a board a jack of trades has its shortcomings, particularly when it comes to footstrap positions. This is particularly true using wider higher volume boards outside their sweet spot, like in high wind conditions.

Speaking for myself, I tend to like the outboard positioning for those boards that might have a choice. I have to say though, that most of my custom boards have little or no choice when it comes to footstrap positioning.

Usually, when it comes to wave sailing or a higher wind B & J environment, the general rule is a more inboard three strap arrangement for maneuverability and control in more challenging water conditions. The downside is that speed can suffer, and you can lose some fin and power advantages. especially with larger sails.

The ideal is having a quiver of boards to address the conditions.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My lite wind board is set up with 4 straps outboard and back. Its a JP Magic Ride 104. My Tabou 3S 96 liter is setup with 3 straps for medium winds. The back strap is up one and the front straps are still set back. Gives just a bit of control but can still pressure the fin and blast up wind. My 3S 86 Is 3 straps almost all the way forward. At that point its about board control in high wind , not top speed. This works well for me and I never move them.
What is a comfortable placement for your size, stance and sailing style is the best place to leave them once you get it right....
coachg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluefish,
I would guess not many people change their footstrap positions because most will have more than one board. Far easier to change boards than change footstraps. Jem travels a lot so he probably doesn't carry many boards.

If you only have one board, say a 90-110 liter freeride and you sail in multiple conditions, than you would likely be not only changing not only footstrap positions, but the number of straps. Inboard, three strap for rougher water/smaller sails, outboard, four strap for flat water larger sails.

I wouldn't worry too much about stripping the holes.

Coachg
rswabsin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be fine moving and experimenting with different strap positions from time to time. Just remove & install the screws by hand with a conventional screw driver - not a battery powered one which may exert too much force or torque. As others have said, you'll likely find a position that suits your sailing conditions best and stick with it over time.

Rob
J64TWB

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it guys, thanks. Just trying to extend the range of this board a little. So many ways it gets confusing. Adjust footstraps , lower boom, crank downhaul, outhaul, move mast track forward, change fins. Which gives most bang for buck? Definitely need a smaller fin than 36, so let me know if you think 34cm is enough to start.
scargo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hole positions on my 95l rocket allow me to run twin back straps, but placed very close together, so it's the functional equivalent of one really wide strap. This has been the best compromise I've found. I use them very loose, so that the foot can go through both straps at the same time. For freeride blasting, I can place my foot on the rail, so that the footstrap is only there for an emergency. In harsh chop or to jump, I slide the foot in further.

Don't know if your board will allow you to do that. But if not, you might consider getting a single wide strap for the back.

Relatedly, more than one professional windsurfer has told me that the back foot can be out of the strap most of the time, especially when you're not fully wound. I've been trying that, and I've found that it makes me more sensitive to the board's trim, not as inclined to muscle the fin--and faster.

Anyway, under that paradigm, you could go with a single rear strap on the theory that for larger sails, underpowered conditions, and flatwater, you'll have your back foot out anyway. Then when you're powered up, hammering through chop, or jumping, the center rear strap will be there where you need it.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta wonder if moving straps around actually helps, or hinders, extremes in wind range.
Say your board. Put the straps all the way inboard in forwards. You're maximizing the most wetted surface, so on paper would appear good for light winds. But, because you're inboard and forwards, you need a smaller fin, and you can't hold as big a sail, with straps forwards and inboard. For high winds, that is using the most wetted surface, not necessarily a good thing either, riding a "bigger" board in higher winds.
Conversely, moving the straps back and out reduces the wetted surface, requires a bigger bladier fin, now two OPPOSING setups, but in light winds can carry a very big sail and fin, mast track well forwards, for freeride and slalom sailing, yet in high winds, reduced wetted surface "should" be good, but outboard rear set straps require board speed to keep the board moving straight and even. Can you add board speed for higher winds?
kmf

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that all sure clarifies things?!?!?!?

KMF
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

next question about fins equally complicated.

same fin model but down 2cm? no, try 4 instead. this one worx for me from 7.5 to 4.7 on most 100ish liter freerides. http://www.progressivesports.com/I-335221-Hydrotech-Freeride-Powerbox-32cm.php

fin with more chord or rake? not so simple. also consider a stiffer lay up with a smaller fin. helps the board be less unwieldy in rougher conditions. tons of performance complications in the fin world.

on race boards, 3-4 cm gaps are about right. on free ride stuff? 4 or more may be applicable.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: