myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Oil on river?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ciobst

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience with Burlington Northern and claims is that they pay them no questions asked. Show any financial support for the dollar of the claim, and they pay it immediately. CGWA should go big on the claim, especially due to the environmental impact of the creek bed. Several hundred thousand dollars to BN is a small price to pay, especially since risk and claims is factored into their freight rates.
CGW2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject: The CGWA responds to the oil train derailment Reply with quote

The CGWA is greatly disappointed and saddened by the oil train derailment that occurred last week. We are actively monitoring all updates and developments that relate to water quality in the Columbia and access to Mosier's Rock Creek launch site. We hope to open up and maintain a line of communication with the City of Mosier and Union Pacific regarding the incident and next steps that will be taken.

Please find our most recent newsletter on this issue here: http://hosted.verticalresponse.com/334267/4bbfe8918f/1427001437/6b44378b7b/

ImmigrantJesus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people are wondering why UNP, BNSF, etc. get a free ride - I am not 100% sure about how it works, but many rail lines fall under Federal jurisdiction (same as navigable water ways) so the states, counties and municipalities often tend to be powerless.
drblanke

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think native fishing rights would have the best luck against the railroads, since a major oil spill would kill off a lot of the salmon. The Yakima Nation has more sway over the feds than OR or WA.

ImmigrantJesus wrote:
Some people are wondering why UNP, BNSF, etc. get a free ride - I am not 100% sure about how it works, but many rail lines fall under Federal jurisdiction (same as navigable water ways) so the states, counties and municipalities often tend to be powerless.
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to the special Mosier council meeting last night.
I was wrong about my prediction of the re-opening of Rock Creek Park; it won't be a couple of weeks. It will be at least a month and perhaps all summer that the park will be closed. It's not because of the oil spill (which is NOT major) into the creek and river. It's because of the necessary reconstruction activity for the sewer (which runs through Rock Creek parking area) and water treatment plant nearby. There will be heavy equipment there doing the job. Access is therefore restricted.

Given the amount of oil (again, not a major amount) that reached the creek and the river, I would say the beach itself and the creek will be relatively clean in a short time. Maybe Rock Creek will revert back to the "old school" rough access of parking a couple of cars near the west side of the creek and then hiking to the beach with gear. I will ask about this.

I respect all the native peoples of the Gorge, and I hope they will wield as much power as they can in order to make things right and prevent further oil transport here. Because, with the ongoing beetle/fungus kill of the Gorge conifers, we don't need to add MORE fuel to the growing Gorge fire hazard. We are lucky there was a light spill. The fish do not live in or spawn in the lower part of Rock Creek (which has the oil); they simply swim up over and then die/drift back down this same area. I don't believe the fish will be adversely affected as a consequence. They simply don't spend much time in this short affected area.

Let's not get into hyperbole about Rock Creek oil contamination. Mosier will still get theirs from Union Pacific, don't you worry. If you REALLY want to get upset about river contamination, try Hanford instead.
kmf

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So exactly what does "Not a major oil spill" mean? We know that the UP reported that they had recovered 10,000 gallons of oil from the septic plant tanks. Surely not all the oil conveniently landed in the septic tanks. UP's definition of a minor spill and my definition of a minor spill might differ a bit.

Just because the city of Mosier get's lots of dough for their troubles doesn't mean that the rest of us can just hang up our concerns and go on our merry way.

KMF
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading comprehension along with suspension of emotions will help avoid future embarrassments. From my first two paragraphs...

"It's not because of the oil spill (which is NOT major) into the creek and river. "

"Given the amount of oil (again, not a major amount) that reached the creek and the river..."

Although this was a large spill on land, very little of the oil reached Rock Creek and the Columbia River. Over 90% of the total oil spilled has burned or already been removed by excavation.
kmf

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And so how much is UP giving you biff....so you won't be emotional.....

KMF
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmf, I will allow you to apologize directly to me for accusing me of taking bribes from UP and for lying. You may contact me directly via private message, and I will make the time for a meeting in-person for this occasion.

In the meantime, I will expect you to refrain from any further libel.
WMP

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drblanke wrote:
I think native fishing rights would have the best luck against the railroads, since a major oil spill would kill off a lot of the salmon. The Yakima Nation has more sway over the feds than OR or WA.

ImmigrantJesus wrote:

It's clear that this could have been much, much worse. Give credit to your favorite deity and/or guardian angel or lucky stars (although these are really far out there).

A blast from the past..... it's our only hope. Indeed, Native Tribes could be the answer to this oil train dilemma in the Gorge.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: