myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Wind outlook bleak Cape/RI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shreddbob

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 2:58 pm    Post subject: Wind outlook bleak Cape/RI Reply with quote

So quiet on this forum. It's been 2 weeks since I've had any sailing, and not looking good any time soon. C'mon wind, this is our time, before the beaches become off limits after Memorial Day. Show us some love Rolling Eyes

Windguru.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  89.91 KB
 Viewed:  10019 Time(s)

Windguru.png

donwh

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree...Spring started out promising but reverted back to it's "new normal" pattern of variable winds, ssw, ene, etc.
Ten years ago we would get at least 4 very good days at Horseneck in May, now maybe one, if lucky...What the hell????
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How quickly things change! Should be in the low 20s at Duxbury the next three days. Very low tide will make the bay unsailable in the late afternoon, though.

Chapin forecast 050316.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  75.65 KB
 Viewed:  9848 Time(s)

Chapin forecast 050316.jpeg

AberWrach

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boardsurfr wrote:
How quickly things change! Should be in the low 20s at Duxbury the next three days. Very low tide will make the bay unsailable in the late afternoon, though.

So I went out to check out Duxbury for the first time the other day but I was very confused by the parking situation. I didn't want to get my car towed while I was on the water so I ended up going home :'(

Here are my questions (kind of all related to each other)
- Where do you launch? Where do you sail (windsurf)?
- Where do you park knowing the main parking lot is "closed" (but still accessible) before Memorial May?
- Do you need the non-resident 1 year beach sticker ($325.00)

Thanks !
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parking is always possible in the lot before the bridge. It can get crowded on sunny weekend days, but usually you can find a spot.

We sometimes park in the closed lot across the bridge in the off season. Have not had problems in recent years, but did not sail there very often. Kiters tend to use this lot more because they have much more space to launch than on the other side. Also, it makes moving to the ocean side easy.

In the off season, you can also launch from Shipyard Lane Beach in town. It's a resident lot, but that's enforced only in season. In N-NE wind, it tends to be bumpier there than close to the bridge.

Before going to Duxbury Bay, check the tide tables. Much of the bay becomes unassailable if tide levels drop below 2 ft. That includes most of the area north of the bridge. There are also some shallow spots near the far shore that you can hit when the tide level is around 2 ft. Can be downright dangerous, with a few rocks just below the surface.

We usually sail the north side of the bridge in N-NNE, and the south side in NE-E. SW can also be fun. Stay clear of the bridge, which casts a huge wind shadow.
AberWrach

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is really good information ! Thank you so much. Maybe I'll see you out there when the wind gets better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: