myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Exocet Windsup Bamboo vs. Kona Carb One
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lrrry

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:16 pm    Post subject: Exocet Windsup Bamboo vs. Kona Carb One Reply with quote

Shopping for low wind board that will plain out at low speeds (8 to 9mph) but still handle up to 15 to 18mph, and be versatile with steering to come home with little wind and be able to go upwind easily.

Just a good fun board, planning jibing, tacking etc.

Looking at these two long boards for the upwind ability, but not ruling out a short board if it works well.

Can anyone compare these two boards? And how well to their "cheaper" brothers work.. the non bamboo or the non carbon?

I'm 195, strong intermediate sailor.
UncleRandy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I'm 195lb also. I have the bamboo 11'8" windsup it's the most
Used board i have. Have sail the 10'5" carbon only a few run's. The
Carbon felt very lite and fast to plane. But did feel the board was not
As stable at 65 wide verses 78 wide bamboo! I would think if u want a
Long board that ride more like a short board go with the carbon! But i
Real like my 11'8" the it is quit a bit heavier but still plane really fast,
At 78 wide. Is very user friendly. I fell i have learned a lot of lite wind
Freestyle moves on the board i would have never learn on a short board!
I am often the only one on the water, freestyle in lite wind, and planing
When it gust!
LUCARO

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the carbone was close to 11 and 1/2 feet long

http://www.konaone.com/the-boards/kona-windsurfing-board-range/
lrrry

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LUCARO wrote:
I thought the carbone was close to 11 and 1/2 feet long

http://www.konaone.com/the-boards/kona-windsurfing-board-range/

Yes it is.
the specs:
Exocet Bamboo 360cm 79cm 220L 31.46#
Kona Carbon 350cm 70cm 220L 27.55#

So basically the same length, Kona narrower and lighter and more expensive.

Would consider a slightly smaller board (the above companies make them) if it plains at low speeds
UncleRandy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mistake i sailed the X- Longboard they come in 2 sizes 10"5"
65 wide and 11'-5 70w both in carbon.
konajoe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kona should win for jibing and especially upwind.

Planing jibes on long boards is difficult. But narrower is easier.

The big plus for Kona would be the retractable centerboard as opposed to a removable center fin. The bigger centerboard gets you miles upwind without thinking about it. Then, when you get to the wind, retract it for planing.

I'd guess that the Kona is also just as stable as a wider board when the centerboard is down.

Take it to Kona Worlds in the Florida Keys in October. Over 100 Konas.
outhaul

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own the 11'8 bamboo for several seasons now and have also briefly tried a regular Kona One.
My opinion, it's not even close, the 11'8 is hands down a better all around board, unless of course you plan on racing in the Kona series.
From what the OP stated the 11'8 would be the better choice. It also SUPs pretty well too.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

outhaul wrote:
I own the 11'8 bamboo for several seasons now and have also briefly tried a regular Kona One.
My opinion, it's not even close, the 11'8 is hands down a better all around board, unless of course you plan on racing in the Kona series.
From what the OP stated the 11'8 would be the better choice. It also SUPs pretty well too.

The Kona One is the One Design Class board as you note. The CarbOne is a very different construction. Essentially a carbon sandwich that is a lot stiffer and much lighter. The CarbOne will plane up in 8-9 with the right sail and active pumping, just like a FW board. Unlike the FW board, the CarbOne will not plane upwind at a proper angle in those light conditions, but it will plane.

Other differences between the Kona One and the CarbOne:
-Kona One has a full EVA deck. CarbOne does not.
Kona One has fixed mast track. CarbOne includes a pedal operated track.
Kona One's centerboard is one-design of medium power. CarbOne offers two centerboards, a carbon version of the Kona Class board, and a carbon blade of much larger size for greatly improved performance in light air.

brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Exocet WindSUP 10 and love it in all wind speeds. It is the only board I use now.

In light wind it planes up for me with just a little bit of wind with an Ezzy Zephyr sail. It also speeds up with a little swell or light gust which is fun.

In high winds I use a small sail and I find the stability and the way it cuts thru the choppy waters makes it a lot of fun in high winds. I can go faster because the board stays in control and is stable. With my previous smaller board I felt like I was getting bounced around too much, so I had to back off the power to stay in control. I look at it like a Cigarette 50' racing boat vs. a 19' smaller boat. The 50' has a lot more control when the going gets rough, and that is the feeling I get from this board.

Regarding your question of Bamboo vs. AST, I started with the AST and it cracked. I believe this is a very rare occurrence, and Exocet did replace it for me. On the replacement I upgraded to the Bamboo and it has been working great, so I would recommend the Bamboo.

Also put good foot straps on it because you will go fast. I upgraded to a 50 cm racing fin because I use it now just for windsurfing. I find the fin improved my early planing ability and my top speed. I also had the dagger board removed and the rubber sewn shut so water does not come through. I did not find the need for a dagger board so it was just getting in my way. My upwind is a little less, but that is OK as the 50 cm fin still takes me upwind nicely.
LUCARO

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had the cash for a carbone new. I would probably go for either of the windsups 11'8" or 10', and save the extra cash for a different board. If you can find anything (Kona one, carbone, windsup, kona 11.5) then I would go for that first.

Prior to seeing the 10' in action I would have said 11'8" but the 10' looks pretty good on the water (I have sailed neither).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: