myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Difficulty going downwind
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kalaniwavo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:16 am    Post subject: Difficulty going downwind Reply with quote

This may be an unusual question. I've searched online and am really having trouble finding an answer and it may not be entirely possible for someone to answer on here without actually seeing my technique, so that's the disclaimer

I am having a VERY hard time going downwind on a broad reach. I'm new to sport and riding a Kona One with Ezzy Zephyr 7.4 I'm getting comfortable in the harness and starting to plane on reaches and have no problem heading upwind with the centerboard up. At the end of the day though when it's time to head back downwind I am getting worked! Basically, I turn downwind on a broad reach and let the sail out some.. I'm cruising along in the harness but in this position I don't feel like I have the ability to depower the sail so inevitably a gust will come along and send me catapulting. What am I missing? Harness line position? Foot position?

When I trim the sail on a reach I have feel like I have a good feel for the power with the harness line centered so it just takes a little "opening or closing of the door" to adjust but on a broad reach the door is wide open and I can't open it anymore. Ideas thoughts suggestions? Or if anyone could recommend some good books or dvds? Otherwise I'm stoked on windsurfing!! Thanks!

Nick
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Difficulty going downwind Reply with quote

kalaniwavo wrote:
I'm getting comfortable in the harness and starting to plane on reaches ... when it's time to head back downwind I am getting worked! Basically, I turn downwind on a broad reach and let the sail out some.. I'm cruising along in the harness but in this position I don't feel like I have the ability to depower the sail so inevitably a gust will come along and send me catapulting. What am I missing? Harness line position? Foot position?

When I trim the sail on a reach I have feel like I have a good feel for the power with the harness line centered so it just takes a little "opening or closing of the door" to adjust but on a broad reach the door is wide open and I can't open it anymore.

You are ahead of most novices in that you can't go downwind; most can't go upwind. Lick your problem and you'll leap ahead. Here's what I see as your solution:
1. Get in the straps, especially the back one (your anti-catapult anchor).
2. Sheet IN rather then OUT when getting overpowered, whether you're in a beam reach or a broad reach.

Problem solved.

Sailing in a broad reach, especially a VERY broad reach, with good or especially excess power is a technique even many long-time, otherwise very advanced, sailors have not yet learned. It's a tightrope between opening the sail for more power vs sheeting in to decrease power for each angle of reach. Getting OP'ed? Reduce power by bearing a bit further off by sheeting IN a bit. Oops ... now you're UP'ed? Regain that lost power by sheeting OUT a bit and bringing your nose further windward a bit. You will quickly learn to feel those "bits and sheets" and with practice will master the process, which leads to a whole new regime of sailing off the wind massively powered on boards of any size. It's fun all by itself, it's extremely useful, it lets us do downwinders and upwinders in the same session ... heck, the same REACH ... and it gets us back home if we've been pointing high to survive being way overpowered. Get good enough at it and you'll be running virtually dead downwind on a fast plane, harnessed in, just for the sheer helluvit.

Mike \m/
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOOOO Look at your sail and board position relative to the wind.
As you head down wind and sheet the sail out, you are presenting more sail to the wind. This means you are adding more power to the sail. Try sheeting in the sail more as you head the board down wind. By keeping the sail in, you present less sail to the wind and that will decrease the power. There is a point that you can head right down wind, or very close to down wind, with the clue end of your sail pointing almost directly into the wind, that will almost completely depower the sail. Try this when your nice and powered up but not out of control just to get a feel for what this is all about. Proper sail down haul and out haul also play a part as well line placement...
Your sail has a center of effort and the board has a center of resistance. All of this along with harness line placement should be balanced when your in the straps, and have the sail sheet in, and raked back over the fin. When you sheet out, that balance point is forward and out side of your stance on the board. This will cause you to stand up causing you to get wacked into the water or sail. Most guys here will have more or different info. Without seeing what is that's going wrong it would be hard to be exact. I would highly suggest a trip to a flat water higher wind location like World Winds at bird island for a week of lessons....Go in April Or early May for the best chance of wind...
techno900

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a big difference between planing deep downwind and slogging (not planning) deep downwind. Techniques are very different. The comments so far pretty much address planing, so if you are looking for help with slogging downwind, speak up.

However, techniques (planing and non planing) for a broad reach don't vary that much, basically foot placement differences, plus what the guys said above. The exception being opening the sail to the wind more in light winds.

Dagger board use off the wind is another issue. Best not to use it, but if not planing, it can stabilize the board, but it will also cause the board to head up if your balance isn't perfect. Running dead downwind in light winds, it can be usefull.

Also, keep an eye on the wind and if you see a gust, sheet in, or head up to a beam reach until the next lull. Practice changing directions when evenly powered between a beam reach (90 degrees off the wind) and a broad reach (110-120 degrees off the wind). Being able to stear/change directions quickly is a valuable skill.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick, are you using an adjustable outhaul and adjustable harness lines?

Both will really help you go downwind without getting launched.

Outhaul: Dumping outhaul going downwind in gusty and/or planing conditions will open the leech and allow the top of he sail to unload when a gust hits. If the leech is tight, the upper sail loads heavily and levers the mast against you, pulling you forward.

Harness lines: Longer harness lines will allow your body position to change relative to the sail without changing the sail's trim too much. Having reduced "connection" to the sail's sheeting angle will reduce he rig's tendency to rip you off your feet when it loads up in a gust or when the board slows suddenly on the back of chop.

Finally, a true board reach is only about 10 degrees above a dead run. That's a pretty difficult angle to sail for anyone who isn't really powered up and planing.

jingebritsen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

planing or not, here are some basics:

mast foot pressure drive the board off the wind.

dagger board up while planing. dagger down if slogging.

foot pressure with kona one and older, flatter rocker long boards. planing, like a bicycle, lean to where you want to go. not planing, it becomes opposite. to truly get a feel for this, go out on a light wind day and practice pivot jibes. outside rail pressure with your feet.

this is especially crucial when jibing. if you jibe lit, execute perfectly, and don't lose speed, you will be able to turn like a bicycle. if you start your jibe with too little power to plane thru the jibe, or execute in such a way to kill your speed, then one has to shift from inside the turn rail pressure to outside. if one is unaware of this, one gets bucked.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/

Last edited by jingebritsen on Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:01 am; edited 1 time in total
kalaniwavo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheet IN. I will def try that the next time! All this time I have been trying to sheet out to depower heading downwind. Can't wait to give it a shot next session. Last session I was trying to get back downwind with a little current in the opposite direction. My arms were noodles when I finally got back from all the uphauling and manhandling the sail.

I've left the harness lines extended to the max so far and the sail has the adjustable outhaul setup but haven't messed with it yet. I would have never guessed 10 degrees off dead downwind either. Learned a lot today. All great info! Thanks!!!
konajoe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Difficulty going downwind Reply with quote

kalaniwavo wrote:
I'm new to sport and riding a Kona One with Ezzy Zephyr 7.4 I'm getting comfortable in the harness and starting to plane on reaches and have no problem heading upwind with the centerboard up.
Nick

Hi Nick! Not having trouble getting upwind with the the centerboard up is a little suspicious for someone new to the sport. While standing on the Kona looking at the knob, it isn't obvious which way is up (retracted) and which way is down. Double check that first, maybe. Broad reaching on a Kona with the centerboard down can be difficult.
techno900

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalan,

Are you planing or slogging while heading off the wind?

Where is your dagger board in each case?

With your adjustable outhaul, bagging the sail when heading off the wind STABALIZES the sail, but you have to be running at least 120+ degrees off the wind. If you are just below a beam reach, you will get too much power.

Formula racers have both AO and adjustable harness lines. The lines are short for upwind and long for down wind. However, the harness lines need to be long because the sailors are in the straps and with the sail sheeted out, the boom is a long way from the harness. Formula racers carry GIANT sails so that they can be powered while running deep downwind. Way too much sail for beam reaching.

If a sailor is nicely powered on a beam reach PLANING, he will gain speed by bearing off 5-20 degrees. If he keeps heading deeper downwind, he will begin to loose speed and will need to sheet out for more power to keep planning.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalaniwavo wrote:
I've left the harness lines extended to the max

Harness line length is a very personal choice. Even world class experts range from >30" to upper teens. Experiment, or just try moderate lengths for now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: