myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Question about Severne Reflex sails

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oz_kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:29 am    Post subject: Question about Severne Reflex sails Reply with quote

Anybody has experience with Severne Reflex sails?
I found a new 2013 model (Reflex 3) 8.6 or 2015 Reflex 6, 9.0 (barely used)
I can't decide which one would be better for me. Price is about the same.
I am used to sailing with older 8.6 north rtype (2 cam) but its about to retire.
I was told that there won't be much difference between my 8.6 and Severne 9.0
I am looking for opinions.

I don't like huge cam pockets because of the water weight issue, but I don't know which of these sails would have smaller pockets.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance!
mewindsurf

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Oz Kid,

The Severne Reflex and North R-type are 2 very different sails. The R-type is a recreational free-ride sail where the Reflex is the full on PWA slalom sail just like the Northsails Warp. If it's top speed you're looking for, there's no replacement for a PWA level slalom sail like the Reflex, however, they will all have that big luff sleeve that you're not looking for.

In general, the 2 cam sails are focussed more towards ease of use and low end power compared to the full on slalom sails like the Reflex and Warp. BUT, if all other things are equal, the real deal slalom sails will leave everything else in their wake with ease....

I had a 2015 Severne Overdrive last year. It's the Severne 3 cam slalom sail and very similar to the reflex. I LOVED that sail. The Severne sails are MUCH lighter than the Norths. I went from a 7.3 North x-type (no-cam) to the 7.8 Overdrive (3 cam) and the overdrive, even with the cams was noticeably lighter in weight on the beach and in my hands and had a MUCH wider wind range. I can't wait to get my 2016 Reflex on the water!

Severne also makes a sail called the Turbo that is a twin cam and would be similar to the R-type which might be worth looking into.

If you have any other questions about anything Severne, just let me know.

Mike Burns
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: