myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Looking for fellow windsurfers near New Haven, CT:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peter.grunawalt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:11 pm    Post subject: Looking for fellow windsurfers near New Haven, CT: Reply with quote

Though I'm not yet great at it, I'm hopelessly in love with Windsurfing and am looking for people to head out with. I'm told it's much safer to pair up, and also tends to be more enjoyable/productive.

If it matters, I'm a 20-something heading to DC for grad school in the fall. I just got the hang of doing water starts, can jibe (somewhat awkwardly I'll admit), but have no issues getting around. I was a sailing instructor for a few years in college, and am a certified lifeguard and wilderness first responder.

I live in Hamden, Connecticut and would commute up to 1-2hrs, unless it's a special outing on the weekend (so pretty much staying in CT). Let me now if you're interested! Email me: peter.grunawalt@gmail.com

Thanks everyone and take care,

Peter
justall

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak for the CT locations (I'm sure you'll get some responses here), but if you can, bring your equipment to DC in the Fall, too. There is a good group of folks who sail Potomac river and Chesapeake Bay sites ... with Fall being some of the best wind ... Provided you have a wetsuit. Be sure to post back when you get to DC. Now, I'll leave it back to the new england crew.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as i wrote in my e-mail, pls keep us informed here of the CT sites near you
I visit at least anually and always wonder where to go and what to bring
may be going Easter this year and that is NOT so far away !!
that way I can choose - stay with family or windsurf Very Happy
just like home ...
mit mir kannst Du auch Deutsch sprechen wenn Du kannst oder willst Smile
this does NOT mean I am a Drumpf fan
sounds too much like a Strumpf Very Happy
good luck with that my US friends ...
jpeter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This board is pretty dead amongst the CT sailors, but you might check Hammonasset beach on a windy day. I sailed there one day last fall with six other people. Seemed to be a regular place for most of them.

I know a few people who go to Barn Island in stonington, and of course theres Ninigret in CHarlston RI. Ninigret is a real good spot for intermediate/novice as much of it is shallow.

If you frequent these spots you are sure to meet people.

JP
mewindsurf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many CT sailors head down to Long Island to sail. Especially in the summer when we get the thermals at Heckscher State Park that just don't make it up to CT. There will be a bunch of guys out at Heckscher on any given windy day, even during the week and it's raining. Everyone there is really friendly and always happy to help if you need it.

It's also really easy to get to. Just take the Southern State Parkway all the way to the end. It dead ends in the park.

Here's a google map. There's even a windsurfer pulling into the parking lot on the lot on the satellite view!

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/40.7126768,-73.1698584/40.6990861,-73.1630625/@40.6990627,-73.1643294,688m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!4m1!3e0

Hope to see you at the beach!

Mike Burns
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A real good spot for honing your skills as an intermediate sailor is Harvey's Beach in Old Saybrook. There are sand flats at low tide and you can be well away from shore and still stand up. Not many windsurfers there though, mostly kiters who are a great bunch guys. Works best on SSE to NW winds with SSE-W being best. It's almost always dead here in the summer months of July and August. Open to the public after Memorial day for $10.00 they allow kiting and windsurfing. No fee after Labor Day

Hammonasset is not a user friendly area to sail in the summer months, as you must launch right next to the jetty at Meigs Point in the designated boat launch area which is narrow, and at the end of the jetty there are huge rocks and a viscous race which can be 5-6 kts. at mid tide.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: