myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windfind

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject: Images: "New" M12 for Sherman Island Reply with quote

Hi Gang,

As you recall several years ago we lost the M12 nav. aid sensor at Sherman Island when a ship knocked over the entire nav. aid. Knowing it would take the Coast Guard a long time to replace the nav. aid we put a new sensor on M10 which is west of all the launch sites.

Once the new M12 nav. aid was installed we went through the time consuming process of regaining permission for a sensor from the Federal government. Once we got that permission the sensor install was in our install queue.

Finally this week we got the perfect alignment of tide, wind, rain, boat availiblity and plane flights for the sensor install crew to do the replacement. So below you can see the "new" M12 sensor at a very high tide.

Be aware that when the overall wind is more NW to W this new M12 will read lower than the M10 sensor to the west would have read. This is due to the weaker venturi off the Montezuma hills to the north. When the wind is more WSW to SW the new M12 sensor should be very accurate for wind near the Access.

Lastly, I would love to have also kept the M10 sensor but the cost of 3 sensors for one site is simply not affordable.

Thanks for our incredible sensor crew on this tricky install.

If you want to get a feeling for what the sensor crew does around the USA check out this video:

http://windnotes.phanfare.com/4743675_5825871#imageID=144749929

Mike Godsey
iwindsurf.com/ikitesurf.com
Weatheflow.com

M12 temp.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  109.59 KB
 Viewed:  19527 Time(s)

M12 temp.jpg

Last edited by windfind on Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
poussin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great Windfind-thank you! Very Happy

Greg
rhawkins

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is great! Thanks. RCH
Arrgh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,
Great timing on your post as M12 just made it onto Classic iWindsurf. I was holding that question back, not sure what was going to happen, since the new Pt. Isabel station hasn't made it there yet. Anyway, I was happy to see the sensor back where it belongs on M12. And it looks like the server issue has been resolved, at least as far as Sherman Island is concerned. And more good news: the local telco has been doing a bit of work on the island. Hopefully, we will have reliable service this season. Now all we need is wind. Thanks.

Dennis
shahn1508

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!!!!!!
airwave

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

Thanks for the update. That's great news. The M12 marker will be helpful.
But, I wish that the M10 Sensor would be reconsidered.

Having only two sensors due to price is understandable. Your comments are that the M12 works well on a S - SW and that the M10 works well on a N - NW.

The M14 sensor serves very little purpose and it really only provides useful information on S - SW winds just like M12. On anything N - NW it is un-sailable anyway and then there is that windmill thing to debate on those wind directions.

It has been my observation that most of the folks that sail at the M14 sensor are people that camp at Sherman either at The Sign or at Rio Viento and are for the most part on site and can see what is happening. There is almost no one sailing from Powerlines these days.

The people that live in the Bay are in need good information before committing to the drive to Sherman. Most of the day sailors end up sailing either at The Sign or at the County Park. In which case the M10 and M12 sensors are both helpful and the M14 sensor does them little to no good.

I know it is somewhat counter to the traditional view of how and when to sail Sherman but things are not what they use to be.
Also the overwhelming number of kiters need information from M12 and M10. M14 does them absolutely no good.
Please consider the value of providing the best information for the most sailors.
windfind

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Airwave,

The points you made are exactly the ones we considered in making the decision to move the sensor. And I personally agree with all of your points.

The issue is that there is still a lot demand and usage by customers for M14. Part of the reason is that many people like a sensor report even when they are at a site.

In both Baja in the Gorge I see people looking at sensor numbers even when the water clearly shows 4.2 wind. The same is true for Sherman Island.

Mike Godsey
iwindsurf.com/ikitesurf.com
Weatheflow.com

Last edited by windfind on Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
bmmiller

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dennis,

The new Point Isabel sensor has made it to classic iWindsurf ... San Francisco South Bay

I'm not sure why it's on the South Bay map. I'll see if our tech staff can find the time to change that!

-Ben
Arrgh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ben. Weird stuff, Berkeley appears on the South Bay map but Pt Isabel doesn't appear on the North Bay map. I have now checked the Pt Isabel box but it doesn't appear on my home page list. I'm just happy to see that Classic iWindsurf is being kept up to date, even if there is an occasional glitch.
Arrgh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count me as a big fan of M14.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: