myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
No more nose jobs!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scargo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like what the boardlady says -- that you have to make sure that the material isn't so stiff that it will transmit the force through to the board.

Thinking outside the box, I wonder if a piece of 2" closed-cell insulation would work, the idea being that it would mostly collapse to disperse the impact, the way a bike helmet does. Then after a catapult or two, you'd simply replace the damaged piece. Maybe get some pieces of hook & loop, and glue one section to your board, and then strips to your pieces of foam, for quick on-site swaps. Admittedly, it would look like h, but it wouldn't cost much, and the velcro would give you the option of not attaching the pads if the conditions didn't dictate.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew about gym mats , the weight may not be so critical on a larger board, YMMV.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is , eventually in your windsurfing progression, you quit smashing
the nose, so the question is do you really want to go to this much trouble
for something that, through technique, will eventually stop happening.

I guess that depends on you pocket book, your abilities, and how often
you get to sail.

-Craig

scargo wrote:
I like what the boardlady says -- that you have to make sure that the material isn't so stiff that it will transmit the force through to the board.

Thinking outside the box, I wonder if a piece of 2" closed-cell insulation would work, the idea being that it would mostly collapse to disperse the impact, the way a bike helmet does. Then after a catapult or two, you'd simply replace the damaged piece. Maybe get some pieces of hook & loop, and glue one section to your board, and then strips to your pieces of foam, for quick on-site swaps. Admittedly, it would look like h, but it wouldn't cost much, and the velcro would give you the option of not attaching the pads if the conditions didn't dictate.
scargo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't smashed a nose in years, and agree that it's something people grow out of. Which is why I suggested an idea--as merely food for thought--that would be extremely cheap, extremely easy, and also non-permanent.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You grow out of it if you stop learning new things. It you keep pushing the limits, you'll keep smashing noses. Learning new freestyle moves is one way - many PWA pros have smashed noses that way.
westender

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya well some people out grow their life jackets and helmets too. Some places a helmet is a good idea. Getting to close to someone taking their nose off and your head at the same time.
coachg

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boardsurfr wrote:
You grow out of it if you stop learning new things.

I'm sorry, but that statement makes absolutely no sense to me. If I'm smashing the nose of my board then I'm doing something wrong or trying something way out of my league, but it has nothing to do with learning new things or pushing my limits. If I practice and learn the proper sail handling skills then there should be no catastrophic nose impacts on any new freestyle moves. However, if I fail to work on the proper sail handling skills before attempting a new freestyle move, then your statement makes sense.

And maybe the pros do smash their boards trying new aerial moves, but we aren't the pros.

Coachg
fathomfathom

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asymmetrical roll bar paddings work extremely well
Fits perfect at the diameter of an RDM
Stays on in the wave (mild/moderate Ontario wave washing), tested up to 45 knots and 10-15 feet waves.

Boom protectors are useless because the boom height are longer than most modern boards.

Mast protectors are too short for the most board noses, or if you protect the nose they are too high up for the rail.

Tried the NP version but it kept falling off.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153195359886485&set=t.523821484&type=3&theater

No nose breaking
Can be color coordinated to your sail unlike the picture above before I got a hold of a black one.

Something like this:
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=2390

Last edited by fathomfathom on Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
J64TWB

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have the occasional catapult in overpowered conditions, however my mast seems to not hit the board anymore? It misses downwind by a little. Everything happens so instantly so if I am doing anything different its not because I am trying. Is this because I am lucky or a better sailor? I should add this is just when free riding.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I've posted at least 10 times ... Padding my board's nose and forward rails, mounting my mast base pad up against the boom rather than at the bottom of the mast, improving my skills, and keeping my damned back foot where the hell it belongs have cut my nose damage 100%, from 2 or 3 repairs per season on tough, heavy, polyester, Clark FoamŪ boards to no damage in 20 years even on fragile 13-pound wave boards. I still crash a lot -- including many nose and rail whacks -- for many reasons, but I no longer care. My nose/rail pads take all of 15 minutes to fabricate, install, and seal from the elements, with no fumes or mess. They do not conceal damage, and people comment on how great my unobtrusive, color-keyed, low-profile nose/rail pads look. I've had no complaints from buyers on the dozens of padded boards I've sold.

As for cutting off noses, I thank my shapers for their foresight every time I dive straight down a steep face at full power into the trough and up the back of the next wave/swell in onshore conditions or just slam into a chunk of disorganized chest-high chop at speed. Besides, sailing to stay dry bores me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: