myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Freeride or Wide Freeride?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVAAN wrote:
I'm about 170 ish. My 115 is as big as I would ever need. I use it in lite wind 6.5 down to 5.5. It planes early, gets to wind with speed and turns great for a big board. I could go 7.5 on this board but never find the need to go that big. When it gets solid 5.5 or stronger I go to the 93 liter 3S.
Its fast enough , has great control, smooth ride and just fun to sail on. Its a nice jump for me and where I sail... My 115 is the LTD. The 3S is the CED and is very lite weight....

Thanks - that is exactly what I am going to do, except one size larger for each board.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 3s 106 gets thumbs up from the guys the use them for a lite wind board.
I'm sure you seen the types. 150lbs, young, strong and never need to rig bigger that a 5.8
dvCali

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Freeride or Wide Freeride? Reply with quote

gvogelsang wrote:
I am considering the purchase of a Tabou Rocket. But, should I consider the Rocket Wide?

More broadly, are there conditions that would favor the more traditional freeride shape, or are the newer wide freerides better in all/most conditions?

Short and Wide for me, no doubt unless you sail in displacement Shocked And the Rocket Wide is not that long or wide. They are all 240 long that is around 10 centimeters longer than slalom boards of equivalent size. Probably a very nice compromise. I would get the Rocket wide without hesitation.
coachg

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gvogelsang,

Unless your typical wind is 18+ mph averages, I'd hang on to that Firemove at your weight. In 17 & under winds you may find it rather difficult to get going with the Rocket 125 compared to your Firemove.

Coachg
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My buddy, 225lbs has the 125 Rocket. He is hard to keep up with. If you look at the numbers, the reg. Rocket 125 is pretty wide... Call Matt Pritchard at Pritchard windsurfing. He will give you the low down on wide or not....why not talk to a world champ who happens to be the distributor for Tabou in the U.S.
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVAAN wrote:
My buddy, 225lbs has the 125 Rocket. He is hard to keep up with. If you look at the numbers, the reg. Rocket 125 is pretty wide... Call Matt Pritchard at Pritchard windsurfing. He will give you the low down on wide or not....why not talk to a world champ who happens to be the distributor for Tabou in the U.S.

Yes, I see that for this year they took the 125 and 135 and made them a bit wider and thinner - moving them more toward the Rocket Wide.
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big guys, once fully planing and in the straps, are fast, plain and simple.
That's why, all the speed trials boyz are big boyz.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
Big guys, once fully planing and in the straps, are fast, plain and simple.
That's why, all the speed trials boyz are big boyz.

Karen Jaggi would take exception to that

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVAAN wrote:
If you have skills you don't need the wide. If your just getting into the straps
and learning how to plane, than the wide board is the way to go. The regular Rocket has been the bench mark for freeride boards for a long time.
My lake has more Rockets the any other board. I have the 115 LTD. Everyone is very pleased with their board choice...The stock fin sucks

While I agree that the regular Rocket has been the benchmark for years, and is still a very viable board that suits a ton of people, I don't agree with your statement that the Rocket Wide is designed more for beginner/intermediates. In fact, quite the opposite. While other short, wide offerings like the RRD FireMove are insanely smooth, controllable, and easy, the Rocket Wide has afterburners and much quicker acceleration, almost akin to a slalom board (but way easier to ride, like a freeride should be). I actually will almost always recommend the regular Rocket (instead of the Rocket Wide) to people just learning straps and planing.

Gvogelsang, if you make to Hatteras this Spring, I would suggest grabbing a few demo boards. But if you wanted a quick description of the Rocket Wide- picture your Firemove, but with a wider/more powerful/slalomy tail, quicker acceleration, 6th gear, and a nitrous booster. The Regular Rocket, on the other hand, will offer a nice controllable, easy transition from sub planing to full plane, allows you to keep cruising at whatever speed you want (3rd gear is totally fine, just sheet in a bit more if you want to drop it into 4th, etc etc), and a more traditional "get on and go" feel.

http://wind-nc.com
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Andy that the wide boards should benefit more advanced riders.

I'm not sure what size or sizes you are considering. Aside from the range of use, the different sizes will have character difference, rx a 105 will not be like a 125, only bigger.

The defining features are thin and wide

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: