myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Florida - Windsurfing
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Micky_Taker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Florida - Windsurfing Reply with quote

I have a few days in Florida mid-Feb. I've found Sailboards Miami, but are there any other hire centres elsewhere in the State, just in case I find myself up north on a F5 type day? Thanks in advance guys.
donwh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just in Jacksonville and would've had a 5.2 day if there was a place to rent...Maybe down the coast

http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=30872
davew70

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calema, on Merritt Island, is run by Tinho Dornellas.

http://calema.com

North Beach, on St. Pete Beach, is run by Britt Viehman.

http://www.nbwindsurfing.com
hotstone

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the Florida inquiry-North Beach Windsurfing has a mobile trailer with gear where the wind is blowing for rent and sometimes for sale. Brit , the owner, also has a shop on St. Pete beach. We just had a day of 3.7, 4.2 at Fort Desoto. The cold fronts set up the waves. The water in January was warmer than I've ever felt it. Hello Starboard jumps!
rollerrider

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow I see this same question over and over again. Seems like there is a business opportunity here. The trailer thing sounds like a good thing. Maybe they should advertise on this site.
Micky_Taker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject: Thank you. Reply with quote

To those people who've already replied a big thank you. There's naff all coming up on Google when you do a search, so maybe the sites need to get their ratings up, or change the meta data to include windsurfing. Windsurfing is one of my great passions, so wherever I am I try to get out on the water or if there's no wind spend an hour chatting to the locals (and perhaps having a beer). I had the same problem in New South Wales and S.A. in Australia, bloody big place nothing on the internet. It was only when I got there I managed (by luck) to get out. And hotstone if it's not frozen we sail, so I'm sure Florida will be fine. Maybe see you all on the water one day. Cheers. Very Happy
A8A8

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also Sandy Point Progressive Sports in Daytona, once you get north of Interstate 4 there are no shops in North Florida. Liquid in Ft Walton doesn't have gear anymore. There are a couple of guys in Pensacola that teach lessons, but not any rentals.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Thank you. Reply with quote

Micky_Taker wrote:
Windsurfing is one of my great passions, so wherever I am I try to get out on the water

Most of us here just do it when it's convenient, getting out on a few warm breezy, midsummer days each year.

BWAHAHAHAHA!

When I got hooked on WSing, I stopped flying anywhere if there was ANY chance of wind + water at my destination or anywhere on the way. I drive to all my stateside WSing destinations, simply because some of my best sessions even on destination trips have been spontaneous, watch-the-trees-and-slam-on-the-brakes opportunities.

HOWEVER, whatever a "naff" is, it hints that driving to Florida may be out of the question for you. Very Happy
UncleRandy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also there ace performer. In fort Myers
sail on Sanibel island caussway
Micky_Taker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:59 am    Post subject: Naff is...... Reply with quote

Cheers Isobars, I do realise that most of the people on this site suffer from "where/when will I get my next windsurfing fix" syndrome and "I don't care if it's blowing 60mph - hailing - and -20'c I'm going out, just get the polar bears out of the way!" single-mindedness.
We wouldn't have minded a few warm breezy midsummer days in the UK this year, there's either been no wind or it's been nuking it and pouring down. To be honest the weather here is all over the place.

My comment refers to wherever in the world I'm travelling to, I always try to find somewhere in advance that I can hire gear and conditions / time allowing get out for a blast. Two years ago I was in Livorno - Italy and found a Goya centre on the Beach - There was no where on the internet that pointed to the place and had I known I could have gone the day earlier when it was actually windy! That was naff! (= No good - crap - etc.) Very Happy So I've 4 days in Florida - touring, but initially based in Miami and if it's windy I'd love to be able to play, just need to know where to go!
For your amusement: Arrow https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFuoIoPoo2c One of my mates at our local spot. (We have the lake and the sea on the other side of the wall @ 5:20 you can see what we call "death chop" - not fun at 40+kts and don't turn right!).
What it's often like . Arrow https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugnoaV4vJtQ (Farrel O'Shea @ 2:30).
Thanks again!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: