myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
The Oregon Revolt explained
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saying that only one acre of land burned by an act of arson doesn't disqualify the act as arson. The same logic would then extend to an abutter lighting your garage on fire by intentionally setting a fire in his backyard. The fact that the fire only damaged your garage but spared your house is irrelevant to whether the act is categorized as arson or not. Likewise, if your neighbor put out the garage fire doesn't mean he didn't commit arson. It means only that he understood the danger and mitigated the damage he caused by his arson.
mac

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan--clearly the convictions of the ranchers, and the animosity between the BLM and the refuge managers, developed over decades. The record, for those who can be troubled with facts, includes multiple violations of the lease terms over those years. Some were proved in a court of law, others could not or were ignored. But the decision to deny the lease is compelling both in establishing the limitations on controlled fires in the lease, and the multiple violations of that term. The resulting jail terms were a result of a pattern of persistent behavior, not for the accidental burning of scrub on a single acre.

Those who see every thing through the lens of government overreach are more than capable of selecting facts to fit that bias, and ignoring all that don't fit. Examine their comments on global warming and you will find the exact same pattern. Facts be damned, I know what I feel! And you want logic?
mrgybe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wooden citation and application of the law without context serves us all poorly. If the great legal minds in Oregon and Mass. can't distinguish between a malicious or thoroughly reckless act, and the successful use of a long accepted fire remediation technique in an emergency situation.........albeit one which briefly spilled over onto a tiny sliver of the vast Federal wastelands..........then the law truly is "a ass - a idiot". By all means apply some sanction........a fine, probation perhaps. But to put a 73 year old man in jail for 5 years.......the same sentence that would be given to someone convicted of manslaughter.......appears entirely unreasonable. It is revealing to perform a little research into the US attorney who so rigorously, and unusually, pursued that sentence. "Activist" and "flake" are the words that spring to mind. Oregon residents will be relieved that she has now been booted out.

With the application of a little common sense, this sentence would not have been passed. The Federal judge at the men's original sentencing in 2012, said that such a term would be unconstitutional as cruel and unusual punishment. "It would be a sentence which would shock the conscience.". It is alarming that other members of the legal community seem so hell bent on driving this family out of business.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, it's pretty rare to see mrgybe bring out the violin and play us a tune of pity for a 73 year old man. Why don't we just look the other way, and give the poor man a break?

Yet, based on the man's past history concerning his actions and misuse of public land, I can see why the tables turned against him. Maybe the sentence is a bit stiff, but often there is a price to pay for the deliberate abuse of public land, and foolishly putting fire fighters at risk.

No doubt, getting rid of those junipers comes at a high price. If he wasn't so determined to get rid of them in such a dangerous way, he surely wouldn't be facing jail time. Also, I find it a bit specious that the Hammonds like to characterize junipers as an invasive species, and that burning them out is best for public lands. I'm willing to bet that they are a native species in the natural landscape of the area.

Given the present fate of Dwight and Steven Hammond, I guess they are dependent on whether President Obama feels pity for them, and elects to issue a pardon before he exits the presidency in January 2017. With that kind of hope, I can see why the Hammonds want nothing to do with the Bundy boys and their armed militia out commandeering federal property.
mac

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hilarious. Not only did mrgybe not read my cooment closely enough to discern that I understood that it was commenting about the Bundy's occupying the refuge, but he has completely ignored the facts. Arson occurred on Federal land that the Hammonds leased, not on their own land. It occurred repeatedly between 1999 and 2006 and put firefighters and other hunters at risk. The Hammonds interfered with the efforts of firefighters, and openly spoke of their intent to use lightning storms as an excuse to start more fires. They told BLM that BLM's efforts to perform controlled burns just weren't moving fast enough to suit them. They expressly opposed habitat management on BLM land that would benefit endangered grouse, not merely cattle. The poor ranchers are so deprived they used their own airplane to examine their crimes and figure out where to start the next fire. Poor 73-year old rancher? More like the patriarch of the crime family in this year's season of Fargo.

Mrgybe has no idea how difficult it is to secure a criminal conviction--in rural Oregon--for felony arson. But now we understand why he is so passionate about it. The arson destroyed habitat for an endangered species--something that seems to please the anti-environmentalist that gybe is.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
It is alarming that other members of the legal community seem so hell bent on driving this family out of business.

Alarming, certainly. Surprising? Not in the least. During my many decades on desert bikes, snowmobiles, 4X4s, and/or WSers all over Utah, New Mexico, and the Gorge, I worked at various times, in various venues, officially and unofficially, with and against several environmental and land user groups and state/federal agencies. I witnessed first hand MANY examples of incompetence, honest concern, power trips, incredible stupidity, justifiable frustration, dishonesty, and so much more on both sides. Over those decades, the tide has slowly, then more rapidly, turned in favor of the loons who want to control everyone else's lives, make sure everyone has equal stuff, and live by their own separate rules (I don't see the Clintons equalizing their stuff or living by the same rules we do).

Such people are very lucky I'm not running the country.
pointster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:

No doubt, getting rid of those junipers comes at a high price. If he wasn't so determined to get rid of them in such a dangerous way, he surely wouldn't be facing jail time. Also, I find it a bit specious that the Hammonds like to characterize junipers as an invasive species, and that burning them out is best for public lands. I'm willing to bet that they are a native species in the natural landscape of the area.

The trees in question are Juniperus virginiana, aka the Eastern Red Cedar, which is considered an invasive species west of the Mississippi River. They are very damaging to pastures and grasslands. Farmers and ranchers can get federal grants to pay for removal of the trees, which left unchecked can reduce habitat for native birds, such as the sage grouse, and also pose a fire hazard. Controlled burns can be effective for controlling junipers, but the emphasis should be on the controlled part.
nw30

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly, Western Red Cedar is right along side with Leafy Spurge, Morning Glory, and Canadian Thistle as being the worst of the worst for farmers and ranchers. Just about the only thing that can get rid of those are fire or goats. Herbicides can't touch that stuff, and unfortunately there aren't enough goats to go around, and goats poop out the seeds so that solution is only temporary.
pointster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
Wooden citation and application of the law without context serves us all poorly. If the great legal minds in Oregon and Mass. can't distinguish between a malicious or thoroughly reckless act, and the successful use of a long accepted fire remediation technique in an emergency situation.........albeit one which briefly spilled over onto a tiny sliver of the vast Federal wastelands..........then the law truly is "a ass - a idiot". By all means apply some sanction........a fine, probation perhaps. But to put a 73 year old man in jail for 5 years.......the same sentence that would be given to someone convicted of manslaughter.......appears entirely unreasonable. It is revealing to perform a little research into the US attorney who so rigorously, and unusually, pursued that sentence. "Activist" and "flake" are the words that spring to mind. Oregon residents will be relieved that she has now been booted out.

With the application of a little common sense, this sentence would not have been passed. The Federal judge at the men's original sentencing in 2012, said that such a term would be unconstitutional as cruel and unusual punishment. "It would be a sentence which would shock the conscience.". It is alarming that other members of the legal community seem so hell bent on driving this family out of business.

I do not agree with mandatory minimum sentences, in any case. However, the Hammonds were offered a plea deal to lesser charges, and chose to go to trial instead, knowing of the possibility of the mandatory minimums if they were to be found guilty.

When the jury in their trial found them guilty of the two charges, and were still deliberating on some other charges, they "accepted the convictions and agreed not to appeal, in exchange for the government not seeking consecutive sentences and dropping the remaining counts. The prosecutor told them they still faced five-year mandatory minimum sentences for the convictions, court transcripts show."

Also, "trial testimony showed that the back fires were actually set more than a mile from the Hammonds’ ranch, on federal land."

The above quotes are from a Jan 4, 2016 Washington post article.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/oregon-dispute-arises-from-small-fires-and-mandatory-minimum-sentencing/2016/01/04/a581c762-b323-11e5-a76a-0b5145e8679a_story.html
pointster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
Exactly, Western Red Cedar is right along side with Leafy Spurge, Morning Glory, and Canadian Thistle as being the worst of the worst for farmers and ranchers. Just about the only thing that can get rid of those are fire or goats. Herbicides can't touch that stuff, and unfortunately there aren't enough goats to go around, and goats poop out the seeds so that solution is only temporary.

Western Red Cedar is a different tree, Thuja plicata, which is found in the Pacific Northwest.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: