myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Rig recommendations
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakeSurf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject: Rig recommendations Reply with quote

I'm going to check out some used gear tomorrow at a windsurfing shop. Im a beginner and sail about once a month in 8-10 mph winds with stronger gusts. I've been learning on a borrowed Motion HiFLy, 5.5 cambered sail and other old gear. I have a Malibu Mistral 24" wide board, which is a lot less stable but I think I'll get the hang of it with some practice and I may prefer it in the light winds.

What would you recommend for rig options? Ideally I'd like two non cambered sails, carbon 2 piece mast, boom and mast extension. Not sure what size sails, what should I look for and what should I spend the most on?
techno900

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much do you weigh? It's a factor on board and sail selection. As I recall, there were a couple of different Malibu's. The earlier one (late 80's) was about 175 liters and narrow by today's standards. Pretty tippy for a beginner, but doable, as long as you don't mind climbing on and uphauling pretty often.

Sail wise, something around 6.0 or 6.5 m is good, WITHOUT cambers, and as a beginner sail, something used and less than 10 years old should be fine. A lot depends on your finances. A new sail is also fine since you could get years of use if you have the money. A carbon mast is good (doesn't need to be 100%), but a carbon boom may be overkill (cost wise) at your level.

If you are 180+ lbs, the Malibu may be a challenge, so the board may be the biggest issue that you may face. If it's the later Malibu, I/you may need to do some research to check the volume. If you are less than 180 lbs, 175 liters of volume is fine, but its the width that is the big negative factor.

Good luck.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Malibu is optimized for planing, not subplaning (aka slogging). You'd be MUCH better off on a less-specialized longboard from that same era (dirt cheap, and a much better SUP) or a more recent (spendier) super-wide beginner board (lousy SUP).

DON'T FORGET LESSONS. They are the best investment you will ever make on this sport.

Mike \m/
coachg

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 1984 Malibu and I think it was only 160 liters. There was a later-light blue Verizon-that was a rental at the first school I taught at that was much smaller-120 liters? As stated above, neither board would be good for beginner or super light winds.

Sail will be based on your weight size & desires. Get used for sure

Coachg
LakeSurf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I weigh 183lbs.
I'm not sure about the volume of the board, but I SUP on it. It's easy to SUP on if the lake is flat, takes good concentration if there are some waves, and really tough if there's a lot of waves and chop from boaters. But for a typical day with warm water, I enjoy the challenge of SUPPing on it, and prefer it more so than my regular 31" wide SUP.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to ask, have you attempted to sail the Malibu? While I've never used an SUP, most paddlers seem to do it standing perpendicular to the centerline of the board. In windsurfing it's more about balancing against the sail, and the stance is much different on the board. In beginning, it's important get sail handling down. If you already know how to do that, and can move about freely, you're definitely ready to use and abuse the Malibu. Mistrals of that time can take the beating, and still come out strong.
LakeSurf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
I have to ask, have you attempted to sail the Malibu?

I did once, on the 4th of July (lots of boaters and waves), with no dagger board and on my second time out. I couldn't uphaul -- or at least I'd get close and then get hit by a wave. An experience windsurfer also had trouble uphaulling with it.

I do like a challenge and am persistent, but I also want to make progress. I'll probably pick up a more appropriate beginner board and then over time if I enjoy the Malibu more, sell the beginner board.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LakeSurf wrote:
I do like a challenge and am persistent, but I also want to make progress.

Then you've picked a good sport. It's by far the most challenging of the many I've tried, you won't run out of new things to learn about it in one lifetime (unless you're Ken Winner, who told me he had mastered it all and it was time to move on), and persistence is key ... along with lessons.

One caveat: unless you sail aggressively for scores of days every year in planing conditions and take specific lessons, it will be decades before you're consistently planing through jibes.

Hint, hint.
coachg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LakeSurf wrote:
I did once, on the 4th of July (lots of boaters and waves), with no dagger board and on my second time out.

This is a bad setup, even with a modern wide board. In the setup you describe I would have to physically stabilize the board until they were underway.

Your first times sailing on the Malibu should be in flatter water. Smaller, narrow boards are like bikes, much more stable when you are moving.

Coachg
bred2shred

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you goals for windsurfing? Light wind sub-planing sailing? High performance sailing (planing in the footstraps, waterstarting, planing jibes, etc.)?

I'm not specifically familiar with the Maibu, but from what I see in pics and what others have described, it looks like it is what was known as a "transition" board. Basically a small longboard that you could kick up the centerboard on and sort of plane in the foot straps. These were popular in the 80's and early '90s but went away because they really aren't very good at planing or non-planing sailing (too small to be a good long board, too long and heavy to be a good short board).

You really need to try to get an idea of where you want to go with windsurfing and then design your kit around that.

Most people are interested in planing and getting in the footstraps, harness, jibing, etc. These goals are certainly achievable, but will be a lot easier if you're on the right gear for your size and location. That would likely mean ditching the Maibu (sorry) and getting a more modern wide style board and one or two appropriately sized sails to get you up and planing in light to moderate lake conditions. If you're just interested in light wind cruising (displacement mode), then probably a wind-SUP with dagger board or a traditional long board would be your best bet with a mid-sized no-cam sail. Again, it really depends on what your goals are, but I think regardless, the Malibu is going to limit your growth. A lot of people get frustrated and/or make poor decisions by trying to piece together old gear. Spend a little more money making smart purchases on gear that is designed to work together and suits your needs and you will be a lot happier and more successful in the long run.

sm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: