myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Ideas for destinations to combine family and windsurfing?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ubaumann

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:19 pm    Post subject: Ideas for destinations to combine family and windsurfing? Reply with quote

Please offer some suggestions for locations where I could combine family and windsurfing. I am thinking of a place like Spreckelsville in Maui: there are properties to rent right on the water so that I can launch without driving. The downside of Spreckelsville is the noise from airplanes overhead.

The ideal place would meet the following requirements:
* Warm water
* House or condo for rent
* House or condo located in property where the kids can run around and/or ride their bikes.
* Launch right off the property (no driving needed to launch)
* The surrounding area should offer destinations of interest to hike, to visit, to find good food etc.

Ideas?
Any of the Hawaiian islands?
Central America? But where do they have reliable wind?
Dom Rep?
Isla Margarita - does have interesting landscapes

My wife likes comfort but can live without luxury. Things need to be clean and well maintained - like most VRBO properties are. RVs or camping will not meet her approval.

My sons are 8 and 10, but excellent swimmers, only budding sailors. I try not to put any pressure on them, so I have no expectation that they would be able to sail, too. If it happens then it happens. However, they do enjoy the beach, boogyboarding etc.

Thank you!
keycocker

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are lots of expensive places that might fit. Sprecks is a very good choice, fits your list perfect, if it is in the right price range.
The noise isn't that big a deal, when everything else is Maui.
Not at Xmas. A lot higher prices.
Easy to bike to Paia, best town in Maui.
Mana Food in Paia is my favorite store, and we live a lot farther away.
ubaumann

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your response.

I am looking for destinations other than Sprecks. We stayed there several years ago and my wife hated the airplane noise.

Thanks.
coachg

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kailua beach on Oahu. Wind is lighter but more consistent than Maui. It is quiet, well off the main highway, nice large beach park with rentals and a roped off swimming area. Plenty of other things to do. You can rent right on the beach or just across the street for less.

Coachg
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're a pretty good sailor, Kuau will fit the bill. No jet noise, walk to Paia, Mama's fish house next door, beautiful reef with swimming hole on a semi private beach. And, you can sail up to Hookipa, or downwind to Kanaha. Pick up required....
boggsman1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ubaumann wrote:

I am looking for destinations other than Sprecks. We stayed there several years ago and my wife hated the airplane noise.
Yeah.. I tried that at Sugar Cove once......no bueno.
Just bite the bullet and stay in Wailea. No wind..tons to do. Then you escape up to Sprecks when the timing is right.

Thanks.
jse

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever consider Bonaire? Stay at Sorobon, right on the beach at Lac Bay. Sailing for you and the kids, plus SUP, kayaking, swimming in the bay. Lots of great (stellar I should say) snorkeling around the island, and great restaurants. Water in Lac Bay is crystal clear and waist deep on the right side of the bay. Deep blue water on the far side of the bay. Paddle to the mangroves, stop and be silent, wait for the sea turtles to come up all around you. Two nice bars and restaurants right next door to Sorobon, and a pretty good restaurant at the facility for breakfast or lunch. Houses on the beach have kitchens too.

Steve
uchida

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to the Dominican Republic with my wife and 11 yr old daughter, neither sails. The sailing was good and the activities off the water were really fun. Did a river boat tour, a mountain bike tour, hiked all over the mountains, zip lined, ate great food and met fantastic people. The down side was the lack of AC. We did this trip several years ago and I understand that there are now many accommodations with AC. The wife and kid still talk about how much fun we had. Maui is my favorite place to go but every once and awhile you've got to mix it up and try new adventures. I definitely recommend the DR.
justingordon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:26 pm    Post subject: Airplane Noise in Sprecks is not Bad Reply with quote

ubaumann wrote:

Thanks.

How many years ago did you stay in Sprecks? I've been at my place https://www.facebook.com/sugarranch for many years. The noise was previously far worse due to older jets that "squealed".

Another factor in the noise is whether there are trade winds. If the winds go Kona, the planes are MUCH louder.

Sprecks is definitely one of the most desirable spots to be in Maui, and it certainly would not be so if the noise was that bad.

Incidentally, the moderately large waves plus lots of trade winds has been non-stop the last few months. It's interesting that you can't really forecast the wind. It's not normally windy November and December, but it has been this year.
bowen1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonaire wasn't on your list of suggestions in the original post, but I agree with Steve that Sorobon Resort at Lac Bay would meet your requirements. And there is no place like it for getting 8 and 10 year olds windsurfing.

Elsewhere in the Caribbean, Cabarette in the DR would be a good second choice. Windsurfing, kiting, beach activities, restaurants etc. are all walking distance from a good selection of accommodation. Wind was pretty light on my trip, but maybe I was just unlucky.

El Yaque on Margarita Island would be another choice, probably a close third after Cabarette (based on your requirements) . Everything you need is pretty close by. There is a decent sized shallow area at the windsurf launch for getting beginners acquainted with the sport.

Never been to Central America for windsurfing, but I hear good things about Belize from divers and kiters.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: