myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Beginner Sail Size?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kalaniwavo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Beginner Sail Size? Reply with quote

Just wanted to get some opinions on sail size for my first sail. I took a lesson a couple months ago and have been out 8 or 10 times with winds typically around 12-17kts. I feel comfortable in the harness riding a Zenith 7.4 on a Kona One although I'm not planning yet. For my size (200 lbs) would I be selling myself short buying a Kona One design 8.2M sail? Or, should I really be looking at the bigger 9.0M?

A local shop has lightly used sails in both sizes right now. I'm located in Tampa Bay and I'm guessing most of my sailing days would fall in the 10-20kt range. Thoughts? Also, what wind speed would I eventually need to plane with the 8.2?

Thanks!!
coachg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi kalaniwavo,

Welcome to windsurfing. In the long run at your size & location, especially if you want to compete at any Kona races, you will need the 9.0 It appears you have access to a 7.4 so I would steer you towards the 9.0 sail. You can use the 7.4 to perfect your sail handling & transitions while using the 9.0 to generate power to practice planing. The problem with the 8.2 at your weight is you will need much more wind to get planing than you normally get. If you didn't have access to the 7.4 then you would probably need to go with the 8.2 as the 9.0 will be hard to learn sail handling & transitions on.

Coachg
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a diametrically opposed suggestion: start with a sail that's easy to handle, uphaul, clear, waterstart, jibe, etc., then buy one o' them movie screens after learning to windsurf. I can't IMAGINE learning How To Windsurf on something THAT much work.

Here's an even better idea, IMO; buy two sails. One, whatever it takes to race them things if that's important to you OR if that's what keeps you interested. Two, something much more manageable like a 6.0-6.5 to go out and enjoy.

BTW, I've sailed at Tampa once, at Fred Howard Park. At 190# and accustomed to high winds, my 3.7 was way too big. I can say with confidence that you'll get plenty of days on that 6.X sail once you buy a good wetsuit and double your season.

Mike \m/
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At some point, going to a bigger sail is not worth the money or the effort.
Even at 200 lbs. a 9.0 is a lot to handle. I know you want to plane. To feel the rush of a high speed run. At your skill level, 8/10 time out, You are not ready for the demands of using a sail that large. I agree with getting a 6.0 or a 6.5 sail and spend some time working on your basic sail and board skills. These skills will enhance your windsurfing for years to come. Its not just about the size of your sail. There many skills that can get you going with smaller sails and boards. I have friends your size or bigger. In 15 to 20mph winds the rig a nice 7.0 freeride sail on a 135 liter board and they rip. If your set on the big gear than go 9.0.... 7.4 to 8.2 is not much of a jump. Camber sails are difficult to use for a newbie...
gregnw44

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with the Zenith 7.4 - is it a cambered sail?
I'm guessing it's not... since you're a novice, and you're in your first season windsurfing. And you said you've been having fun using it. You didn't complain about it being too big (or powerful or complicated cams)... and you're 200 lbs... and sailing in FL.
So if it's not a cambered sail, then it's probably a full battened RAF sail.

Anyway, although I agree that at your size and sailing and learning in the wind's you mentioned... you "could be" on something smaller, like a 6 - 6.5M size. But geez, you already have the 7.4 and seem comfy with it. So, it sounds great to me... just stick with that.

Next, you're asking about Kona One sails - the 8.2 and 9.0M size.
First off - all Kona One sails are NOT cambered, they are RAF type sails.
And since you already have a 7.4 that you like... but you're asking about going faster in light wind... then yes, get the 9.0M sail.
At this stage, you should probably just keep practicing with the 7.4 cause you have a lot to learn about sail and board handling... and all the different ways to tack and jibe your Kona One board.
However, if there's a day when you just want to go faster in a straight line in wind from 2-10 knots, then use the 9M sail. And at your current skill level, if it's 10-20 knot wind conditions, then stay with the 7.4M sail.

Some day, when you have a lot more experience, the 9M Kona sail will be great fun for you in 20 knot wind. I'm also 200 lbs (but have windsurfed a LONG time) and I sailed the Kona One last summer with the 9M sail in solid 18-24 knot wind... and had an awesome day!!
In those higher wind periods, yes, I would've been a bit happier on the 8.2 however the 9M worked fine. But most of the time it was right around 20 and the 9M was totally user friendly in that wind.

But again, I've worked at this a long time. You're just starting out, so stick with 2-10 knots wind for the 9M and use the 7.4 in your 10-20 wind.
I see no reason for the 8.2 size. The spacing between 7.4 and 9.0 is just fine. And also, if you ever want to do one of those REALLY fun Kona One races (which do happen in FL) you'll want the 9M cause that's what matches your weight for their racing classes.

Hope this helps. Greg Smile
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calema Sports seems to be about two(2) hours away from Tampa Bay.
Tinho Dornellas is fully "KONA'd" and was recently involved in the HULA design ...
perhaps you can ask on calema.com or get in contact with Tinho and ask about trying/renting sails ...

you have been out 8-10 times and are already in the harness = CONGRATS
agree with staying on the 7.4 until REALLY comfortable
going to a 9-oh will involve mast and probably boom = $$$
but IS a better quiver balance than the 8.2

BIG sails are often used in lighter winds (less than 20 - actually less than planing) and may require uphauling
NOT an easy task - better be ready - i prefer to NOT drop

just keep on going ...TOW ... and welcome to the "FUNNEST SPORT"

addendum - just looked up North Beach Windsurfing - about 20 minutes away from Tampa Bay
go and chat with Britt Viehman - TALL heavyweight with lots of training experience
kalaniwavo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the responses! It has really cleared up quite a bit. I actually have access to a quiver of sails at the Clearwater Sailing Center, but am itching to get my own gear so I can ride closer to my house and outside of their normal working hours. I've been hitting up all the local guys too and getting their take on gear. Seems like there are so many factors at play, that everyone has been able to make a pretty good case about why a 6.5 would be better than a 9.0 or visa-versa.

I guess ultimately it just comes down to riding something. I still crash and uphaul enough that I am thoroughly worn out after a session, so the 9.0 would probably be a bit much. I guess for now something in the 7-8M range would be good, and then start saving for another sail(s) down the road.

Thanks!!
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalaniwavo wrote:
I guess for now something in the 7-8M range would be good, and then start saving for another sail(s) down the road.

That depends on your objectives. If max planing time is #1 (and #2 and #3), go with the 7.5. If fun and skill progression are #1, go smaller.

Do you not have swap meets near Tampa? If so, sails can be pretty cheap. What does Windance in Hood River charge for shipping sails?

Re "I still crash and uphaul enough that I am thoroughly worn out after a session" ... as you get in better WSing shape, darkness or a major wind speed change, not fatigue, will be what determines the end of a session. Get there and enjoy that while you can, because fatigue will become a factor again in your 70s.
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, don't buy a 8.2. It is the wrong Kona size for you, I assume you would need a 9.0 if you ever want to use it in a race.

I own a Kona 9.0, and I'm 220 now but normally closer to 200. I like it a lot as a light wind sail. It's not cambered, but it's similar since it has a deep pocket. The sail itself is light and tunable.

I bought a 7.5 as a first sail knowing that I would eventually buy a 9.0 or 9.5. The size was nice for me at the beginning. Once you get the thrill of planing, you'll want to use a large sail when required to plane!!

Nowadays, the 7.5 is my low medium wind sail. I use it when I know I'll be planing with it, otherwise it's the 9.0. It's a an Ezzy Freeride sail. I guess a Zephyr might be good too. I wouldn't want a Kona 7.4 to replace it because it is not as stable nor as rugged. I learned to waterstart with the 7.5 since I don't often have nice wind for my 6.0 or smaller sails.

Once you figure out how to position yourself and waterstart with little effort on your 7.5, the Kona 9.0 will not be too hard either. I prefer to waterstart it than uphaul it if wind allows.
kalaniwavo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailboarder wrote:
First, don't buy a 8.2. It is the wrong Kona size for you, I assume you would need a 9.0 if you ever want to use it in a race.

I own a Kona 9.0, and I'm 220 now but normally closer to 200. I like it a lot as a light wind sail. It's not cambered, but it's similar since it has a deep pocket. The sail itself is light and tunable.

I bought a 7.5 as a first sail knowing that I would eventually buy a 9.0 or 9.5. The size was nice for me at the beginning. Once you get the thrill of planing, you'll want to use a large sail when required to plane!!

Nowadays, the 7.5 is my low medium wind sail. I use it when I know I'll be planing with it, otherwise it's the 9.0. It's a an Ezzy Freeride sail. I guess a Zephyr might be good too. I wouldn't want a Kona 7.4 to replace it because it is not as stable nor as rugged. I learned to waterstart with the 7.5 since I don't often have nice wind for my 6.0 or smaller sails.

Once you figure out how to position yourself and waterstart with little effort on your 7.5, the Kona 9.0 will not be too hard either. I prefer to waterstart it than uphaul it if wind allows.

The primary reason I was considering a Kona sail is a relatively close shop has a full range of barely used Kona sails at good prices. One of the local guys here also said Ezzy's are much more durable which is definitely a big consideration though. What do you mean as far as stability? The ability to dump wind or depower? handle gusts?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: