myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
30% off on Northwave custom sails

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tferrick

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:49 am    Post subject: 30% off on Northwave custom sails Reply with quote

Has anyone seen the facebook page for Northwave custom sails??? I sailed a ZX9 last summer and loved it. i'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a custom quiver. The sails are built in the Gorge and I'm told you can pick your own colors and sail material. THOUGHTS anyone????
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: 30% off on Northwave custom sails Reply with quote

Sure Mr. Ferrick, I have thoughts ;*)

I am a long time Northwave rider, and yes you can pick your own colors
(from a small palette), and yes they are built right in the Hood River loft.
You can pick your own materials also, but more exotic materials will
equate to a more expensive sail (still at 30% off though).

I have become addicted to them, and it's a rare Northwave rider that
switches to something else. I have experience with the ZX9, the Featherlite, and the Surflite.

The ZX9 has a more locked in feel than the other 2, which is great (for
me) in larger sizes (5.2-6.2 are larger sizes to me). At 180 lbs I currently
ride my 5.7 ZX in winds averaging as low as 18 MPH. My 5.2 Feather Lite
was an experiment (and a very inexpensive one). I'm riding that sail
more often into the 4.7 range, and it does feel very light.

My favorites though are the Surflites from 4.7 down to 3.2. These sails
are very gust tolerant, and they just seem to be more comfortable
in strong winds than any other sail I've used (actually Sailworks sails
are very comfortable also).

Anyway, I don't think you could go wrong with any of those models,
it just depends on what you like more. ZXs are more oriented to a slash and bash mentality and they are rangey, but Surflites are more
oriented towards a soul surfy feel. Featherlites are great if you like to
ride a little larger sail than others your size.

The only downside to Northwave sails, is that they last for freak'n decades,
so if you like getting new sails, you end up trading in pretty much perfectly
good sails to do it.

Call Chris and tell him what your style is and he'll hook you up with the right stuff.

-Craig

tferrick wrote:
Has anyone seen the facebook page for Northwave custom sails??? I sailed a ZX9 last summer and loved it. i'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a custom quiver. The sails are built in the Gorge and I'm told you can pick your own colors and sail material. THOUGHTS anyone????
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: 30% off on Northwave custom sails Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
Featherlites are great if you like to
ride a little larger sail than others your size

The only downside to Northwave sails, is that they last for freak'n decades, so if you like getting new sails, you end up trading in pretty much perfectly good sails to do it.

That's a GOOD thing. When NW offered the public an annual quiver upgrade for a fixed annual fee per sail (plus turning in my year-old quiver) a decade ago, I did the math and jumped on that deal. Compared to running them into the ground, selling them yourself, and buying new ones, this plan breaks even cost-wise. Advantages include new, crisp, TRANSPARENT, updated sails every year, tweaked to suit the customer's evolving preferences, and no need to market your used sails. Some of my trade-ins look new*, but since the annual fee is fixed, in they go. Such a deal for the next guy!

* Some ARE unused. I almost never need a 3.2, and until I realized how much swell action is possible on a good 6.2 day, those seldom got used either. What's a good Featherlite 6.2 day? Those few dozen days each season when the masses are trying to milk the gusts on their 4.7s and 5.2s, then finally either giving up or rigging their 5.7s to decrease --- NOT stop -- their slogging. On those days the FL 6.2 comes alive and leaves a confident rider asking , "WHAT lulls?", as he sails his biggest sail in the same aggressive, dynamic manner as he does his 3.2 ... if he ever does. Only when those masses are constantly powered up and often a bit overpowered on their 4.7s does the 6.2 FL feel overpowered in those same gusts, and that's only in the jibes. Then we have a choice, influenced by whether we expect the wind and daylight to keep going: rig down to our 5.2 or 4.7, or stay on the 6.2 and rip dead downwind, hooked in and relaxing, simply because it's tons 'o fun. Luff the sail, my ass! Smile

Can ya tell I LIKE my Featherlites?
tferrick

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:02 am    Post subject: Thats awesome news Reply with quote

Thanks for all the great insight. Sounds like the wife needs to say Merry Christmas to Meeee. Smile These sound like the perfect option. Have a great holiday
tferrick

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:32 pm    Post subject: Black Friday Reply with quote

Looking forward to tomorrow. 30% off my new sails from Northwave. I've decided on the ZX9. Can't wait until tomorrow. Anyone else going to take advantage of this? I would love to hear what other people are buying
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Dacron leech panels such as your ZX9s will have, and use them in my Featherlites. I've owned the non-stretch Aramid panels, but prefer the softer feel of Dacron when getting hit by big, square-wave gusts. It's strictly a preference thing, except that the Dacron is also lighter ... and much brighter.

(Tried to post a photo, but gave up.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: