myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
X-LONGBOARD Exocet - anythoughts or close encounters?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wernerhickey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject: X-LONGBOARD Exocet - anythoughts or close encounters? Reply with quote

http://www.exocet-original.com/xlongboard.php

Interested in any review of this board. I have the 11 8 Windsup, which I love - thought this could be another option.
bmoore98

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was very pleased to see Exocet bring these boards back. They were last offered in 2013 as the Curve 10'5" and 11'5". I bought the last 10'5" the distributor had last April. Six months later I bought their last 9'5". The 10'5" will make a nice companion for your 11'8". It's a seven hour drive to the coast for me so most of my sailing is in lakes. I haven't yet had the Curve out in the surf. I use it when I can be powered up on a 6.5 or 7.5 hopefully with nice rolling swells on the lake. For me the stock fin is no good. I use a True Ames Surfgrass 26cm.
LUCARO

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has

"E.U.R: Exocet Unique Ride"

So it must rip Wink

Isnt it just a renaming of their old longboard line (called curve and before that kona)

Check there 2012 brochure here

http://www.exocet-original.com/archive.php
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kona brand was sold to another party: joachim larrson.

kona one was all he bought. he has since produced a large line on his own.

kona 11'5" and others were retained by exocet. the name was changed to curve. there has been another name change.

the designs remained idle for a few years. those that have loved theirs to death want another. some those that have heard about them or tried them have expressed desires to purchase one or more.

i have the "new" 11'5" approval board. it is still the best board for east coast florida wave sailing conditions for lots of folks that do not have oceans of time to wait for perfect short boarding conditions.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
waterloo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was keen for an upgrade when I saw it on their website but $$$. Out of interest, what is the price on these in the US? The price in Oz seems to have increased significantly (especially considering no R&D etc - it's a 2007 shape!).

John, other than graphics, is it exactly the same as the previous carbon version?
whitevan01

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all board prices seemed to have jumped quite a bit this year. The starboard phantom 377 is over 4 grand now!!
wernerhickey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the thoughts so far. I plan to sail this in pretty flat water with onshore winds mostly. The water is pretty shallow coming in towards shore - shallow fins a plus.

I love the Exo Windsup and use this in Singapore - virtually no lugging so weight no issue - back home Aus, where I am planning to send the 11 5, though I have a 30 foot bank to negotiate, so thinking 11 5.....but....will it be fun to use in the flat is my dilemma? It looks great in the waves.

I have been sailing since the early 80s and been though pretty well all the trends - am a confirmed longboard convert now, could be something to do with old age Smile
bmoore98

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will love it in flat water. The bottom shape of the 11'5" is the same as the Kona One. The 11'5" is a thinner board, hence less volume.
waterloo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wernerhickey wrote:
Thanks for the thoughts so far. I plan to sail this in pretty flat water with onshore winds mostly. The water is pretty shallow coming in towards shore - shallow fins a plus.

I love the Exo Windsup and use this in Singapore - virtually no lugging so weight no issue - back home Aus, where I am planning to send the 11 5, though I have a 30 foot bank to negotiate, so thinking 11 5.....but....will it be fun to use in the flat is my dilemma? It looks great in the waves.

I have been sailing since the early 80s and been though pretty well all the trends - am a confirmed longboard convert now, could be something to do with old age Smile

I also sail mine in shallow water with a 28cm Lessacher carbon weed fin, very good combination. I have had an 11'5 since 2008 and love it, doesn't have the acceleration of freerace/slalom but it can be wound up to a pretty decent speed in choppy conditions and is easy to gybe, easy to sail. I also have the 11'8, it's a fun alrounder but the 11'5 is faster and more manoeuvrable.

Where abouts in Aus do you sail?
outhaul

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wernerhickey wrote:
I have a 30 foot bank to negotiate, so thinking 11 5.....but....will it be fun to use in the flat is my dilemma? It looks great in the waves.

I feel your pain, I have several flights of treelined stairs with two 90 degree turns. I struggled until I started to carry my 11'8 on top of my head, hands gripping the rails on either side. For me, much easier and no dings on the board going around those difficult to maneuver turns. Try placing the board just above your forehead rather on the very top of your head.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: