myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
WindSUP - light wind wavesailing along the Santa Cruz coast
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fxop

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would I have to do to add windsup capability to my 10'8" Jimmy Lewis Hanalei? This board has a lot of glide and is great on small waves. It is under-used right now, hoping windsup might get me out on the water more often.

fxop
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add 2 parallel US finboxes on rhe bottom for foil and add one US finbox on the deck for the sail.
fxop

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you decide where to put the "mast track" on the deck?
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long track has 9" of adjustment. Placement is personal and dependant on board length, shape, your weight and preferences, % of planing vs displacement, how it tacks and rides waves, and balance of the board and thickness distribution.
You will find, in 7 different board companies, 7 different track placements in the same length boards usually within 12" of each other.
That said, a good enough starting point would be around 60" from tail for boards 10' and shorter, and another 3 or so inches farther forwards for longer boards.
Thats why you pay the bg bucks for a board.
underwood

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Starboard Whopper 10’ last year and absolutely love it. Not real fast on flat water but it will take off on the smallest little ankle biters and will surf waves up to head high very easily. Turns well and is pleasurable to paddle. It comes with a center fin but I’ve found it is not necessary as it goes upwind just fine. A great all round light wind multi purpose board. I got the star-lite construction so it is very light for its size. And my dog loves it as well, sailing or paddling!
d0uglass

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fxop wrote:
How do you decide where to put the "mast track" on the deck?

The mast should attach about where your big toes are when you paddle the board in flat water. If you center the mast track there you should have some range of adjustment further forward and back as needed.

If the carry handle is in the way of the sweet spot, just put the track as close in front of the carry handle as possible.

Don't skimp on the fill and reinforcement around the mast track when you glass it in.

jam-1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windsup can be fun...I carry the Simmer inflatable SUP with mast attachment (for OP's wife), feel free to contact me. I've currently got a few in stock right now.
I also carry the Quatro SUP line, which has a mast attachment as well...could be an interesting option. Very capable as wind and normal SUP.

James

http://www.facebook.com/vansurfsports
tcevans

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ctuna & eghoffman,

I sent you each a PM w/ some follow up questions on the Hammer.

Thanks!
eghoffman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tcevans - I just saw your PM and messaged you back.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

loopless wrote:
if you really want something you can paddle as well as sail in light wind, then obviously a WindSup is the only option.
But if you only want to sail you should at least consider a large wave board like the Goya 120L Quad with , say, an Ezzy 6.9 - the trick is picking a volume that floats you. I say this as one who comes from the light-wind capital of the west coast, no-wind-Diego. It definitely requires more sailing skill to bob around on a corky wave board than a wider, more stable wind-sup but if you have those skills the trade-off is worth it.

I have a goya 116 quad. Great in light wind. I imagine that the 120 would be even better! However I think they only have a production 118 quad for 2018
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: