myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Wave sailing snap jibes vs tacking
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alap

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i do not want to steal the thread, but can I ask an advice on the slam jibe (similar to the one in the very beginning, Robby Naish).

I m a mere mortal, 61, I windsurf probably 30+ years, I do carving jibes with some success (more success with 5.0 and up, but did few dry jibes on 3.9+75 liter).
I just recently learned a pivot jibe in light air. Funny as it is I never had an opportunity... always chasing a planing conditions... thing is I broke my hand, micro surgery, three pins. Two months after surgery (3.5 weeks after pins removed) we had the vacation booked (long time ago). My wife was completely opposed to my idea of light air sailing (but she always opposes everything wndsrfing related, no big news here)... So, careful negotiation and I was allowed to take just one board and one sail.

Since I was afraid myself, I took 145 liter Ray + 6.0 Retro. Was rewarded with few days of consistent light air and completely on my own learned pivot jybe. Later found this vid (e.g. around 2:30):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsDI_M3D8H8

I think I am pretty close to what he is doing (I suspect he is more polished and his English accent is outstanding!), and its a lot of fun! Plus I am sure that my carve jibes will improve...

But back to my question. This snap jybe (or slam jybe), any advice how to approach? I understand the sequence of moves, watched few vids, but the main question is how to summon the courage?
Is there may be some progression so to learn it at a slower pace?
If so, what would be perfect setup (board, sail size? overpowered? underpowered?)
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If "courage" is the issue, rib armor, helmet, and face guard are the simplest solutions. It's only water.

One thing I like about my jibe technique is that it works at any level of speed or power, at least up to 120 liter boards and 7 meter sails (I haven't sailed anything bigger in the last 25 years, so can't comment on that.) In the slam/snap jibes of the video above, for example, I'd be flipping the sail instantaneously (Throw, Throw, Grab, and Go) at such points as 2:36, 3:40, 4:00, 4:43, 5:00, 5:17, 5:32, etc., so I can apply power and resume windsurfing much sooner. Done quickly and smoothly, it enhances, rather than impedes, the pivot in accordance with Newton's third law of motion. This eliminates several or even many time- and space-consuming seconds of slogging down and across the wind, losing even more speed, then slowly rotating the sail, then resuming speed, then sailing back up to your entry speed. It does everything the video's slam/snap jibes do, but does them virtually simultaneously rather than sequentially.

The right board, sail, and venue to practice on is whatever board, sail, and venue you happen to be sailing at the moment. i.e., do it all day every day you can. If you plan to rig and sail just to practice your slam/snap jibes regardless of everything else, I suppose a hundred liters and a 5.2 might be a really good compromise between flotation and inertia as long as it's not too windy, whether you're doing it as that video depicts or spinning the rig MUCH earlier.
konajoe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody duck tack?
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not jump jibe or willy skipper onto a wave face?
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
Why not jump jibe or willy skipper onto a wave face?

I know why *I* won't even try it: I like my ankles too much.

I once watched as a guy jogged quite rapidly past me across a field of random boulders layered 3 or 4 deep. He wasn't picking his way; he was just running slowly and letting his feet fall almost randomly. He stopped to chat, and I asked him a rhetorical question: "I'll bet you've never had a broken (or much worse, a severely sprained) ankle, have you?"

"Nope".

I knew that.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

konajoe wrote:
Does anybody duck tack?

Yes, Andy Brandt and other ABK instructors do. But a planing duck tack is about as hard as it looks easy. Might as well go into a Funnel or Switch Kono - going switch and ducking the sail is (supposedly) the hard part. I have never seen the old school duck tack (where you don't go switch first and duck after turning through the wind) done planing.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boardsurfr wrote:
I have never seen the old school duck tack (where you don't go switch first and duck after turning through the wind) done planing.

It is a thing of beauty. I don't believe I've seen one in a decade, but I saw half a dozen in the late 90's...they were what got me on the nonplaning duck tack ages ago. Now even the nonplaning one is done switchstance (thankfully). I've never hit a planing duck tack of any kind.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: