myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am 6'3" and 180 lbs, so pretty close, but I'm not a slalom sailor.

-Craig

zirtaeb wrote:
Typical PWA slalom sailor is 6'2" tall and 190 lbs.
Are you that size?
pmlct

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My .02 I switched to longer lines and got used to them pretty quickly. For light wind 30" and higher wind 28". The longer lines are easy to unhook when slogging without throwing my balance off. I used to run short lines and really hike the sail back and over me which is not efficient and with the more upright stance on my newer boards the sail is more upright and I am standing more over the board. I am 5'8", seat harness, boom shoulder height, usually fully powered for the conditions by preference. I would not go back to shorter lines.
outcast

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those guys are apes

Ever seen Finian, Josh, Micah or Albeau?

Simian.

bred2shred

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still don't understand why people choose to use fixed lines and then debate about whether they should go 2" longer or shorter....

Just use adjustable lines!

The pro's likely have one boom for each sail, are sailing in consistent conditions, spend a lot of time out of the hook (if they're wave sailing). Adjustable lines make much more sense for the average Joe trying to get the most out of his gear.

sm
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate adjustable lines.
I"d rather have adjustable outhaul, which I also don't use.
Adj Lines, always get stuck if you don't use them every day, webbing get's kinked, buckles freeze, lines flop. KISS.
VinceSF

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 32.85 Reply with quote

frederick23 wrote:
Average harness line length of PWA pro.

I'm 5'5. I just switched to 26 for lighter wind. so far so good.
24 otherwise.
I use to have 16's!
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have had poor success with adjustable lines, for me, they won't hold length in extreme conditions.

-Craig

bred2shred wrote:
I still don't understand why people choose to use fixed lines and then debate about whether they should go 2" longer or shorter....

Just use adjustable lines!

The pro's likely have one boom for each sail, are sailing in consistent conditions, spend a lot of time out of the hook (if they're wave sailing). Adjustable lines make much more sense for the average Joe trying to get the most out of his gear.

sm
windydoug

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ezzy's fixed length lines are on sale for $15 a pair.

I might get a pair. They are the variety covered in clear PVC tubing which Dakine used to have. The rope looks to be diferent. I have experienced a few sets of the clear ones "rot" out where my hook sits from what I figure is water and sunlight damage coupled to harness load. That's pretty cheap for a set of lines though.
bred2shred

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are good adjustable lines and bad adjustable lines. The ones with a "ladder lock" buckle work best IMO. I've never had issues with them slipping and they are only tough to adjust when they are dry. Adjust them on the fly - gust comes, snug them up...lull hits, slack them off. The metal "cam lock" buckles I found to be very bad. The webbing would slip and/or the metal would corrode causing them to freeze up.

I have a set of fixed lines on my small boom which I sailed today and was wishing I could have shortened them up several times. Will probably switch them over to adjustables.

sm
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After 20 years of trying to improve the adjustable harness lines, and having used nearly every design ever offered, my thoughts:

What appears to be the easiest AOH line buckle is one first made by DaKine and copied by others. Known as the cam-lock, it allows thumb-touch release and auto-lock without much fuss. When it works. When it's clean and when it's new. Age and use round off the gripping nubs under the cam and soften the webbing -all of which create some slip and more friction. The worst of both worlds.

The ladder-lock adjusters are more durable but often don't run smoothly until the webbing softens. Like the cam-lock system, the thick webbing tends to stiffen unless rinsed of all salt.

Jam cleat system. These are the systems like the Sailworks and Chinook using metal jam cleats and a pulley. Upside: always smooth and easily adjusted. My favorite. Downside, sort of bulky and seen as overkill for non-racers. Can release completely unless line is jammed into cleat securely, but usually not a problem.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: