myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Culture wars
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nw30

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swc~
I guess my question had nothing to do with the way you awkwardly worded it, give me a break.

And,

Yes, but you shouldn't be surprised, as I am not with you being an anti-war for almost all reasons guy.
I want to read his new book "Exceptional".

Now I'll ask you one question, did you agree with Charles Lindberg before we entered WWII?
coboardhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The world is the most chaotic sine WWII?

the world is safer:

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/foreigners/2014/12/the_world_is_not_falling_apart_the_trend_lines_reveal_an_increasingly_peaceful.html

Oops...sorry to interject some actual data here...carry on.
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charles Lindbergh's opinions, and what they might mean today? Maybe you can enlighten me. It must have been something that you read somewhere.

Frankly, I'm more about today. The right might be reaching to find some credibility in their positions, but so far, they have offered nothing that I'm impressed with. But again, maybe a guy like Cheney appeals to you, and maybe a few other right wing military aggros on your side of fence.

While Cheney isn't running, who's the star in this area at the moment? Maybe it's a hawk like Senator Graham, and his avid supporter in concept, Senator McCain. But then again, maybe Sarah Palin or Michelle Bachmann is more to your liking. Not like Cheney, but rabid and stupid enough to offer some rather bizarre ideas and interpretations about desired US policy today.
nw30

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so much for the attempt at a mature conversation, and the question that goes to the heart of the culture of what war is and isn't.
Never mind.
Didn't mean to get you all uppity. Geeesh, the left today, so sensitive.
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on, you can't give up so easily. But then again, maybe there isn't that much under your tent.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead wrote:
The world is the most chaotic sine WWII? the world is safer:

Why is it that you lefties feel the need to parrot each other with "carry on". Is that from your cheerleading days, or to indicate that the inanity is now concluded? The Chairman of the Joint Chiefs, the head of the NSA, the Secretary of Defense, the head of the CIA all tell us that the world is a more dangerous place than it has been for decades........and you dismiss their opinions by trotting out a far left magazine that tells us murder rates are down in the UK so the world is safer! The current refugee crisis is the largest since WWII. The Middle East is in complete chaos, more so than we know, since it seems the Administration has fudged the data. Large parts of Africa are in chaos. Russia is flexing it's muscles and daring us to do something about it. China is sending vessels into US waters and parading it's massive arsenal to warn us off. Iran is about to get hundreds of millions of dollars to sponsor even more terrorism and fulfill the promise of the Ayatollah just yesterday that Israel will not exist in 25 years, But in the minds of liberals, everything is just rosy..........safer than ever. La La land.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, so maybe it's time to kick some ass, right? What do you suggest, and who's your most capable leader in setting things right? Cheney's not running, so who's leading the pack? Lots of important questions, so what's the call for 2016?
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In support of Mr Gybes response.

That article makes an assumption. i.e. it is a numbers game, and since the claimed death rate is declining, we are safer.

In a world of nuclear proliferation it would require a single instance of some state sponsored terrorist group to detonate a nuclear device in a major western city, to prove the opposite.

Does any thinking person really imagine that the world is now safer, and that such a thing is never likely to occur? Or what such an act would almost inevitably lead to in response?

And no S.W., I don't have an answer, but neither, as far as I can see, does anybody else!
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's advocating having the hair trigger ready to make America greater? Isn't that what Trump is speaking about?

Of course, making it all happen is a lot more sophisticated and complex than the simplified hype often promoted. How can we strut our stuff and get what we want around the world without any real grief? The right makes it sound so easy, but as we all know, it isn't that simple. After the Korean War, have we as the greatest nation on earth made the North Koreans go away after almost 60 years? Yet, listening to American Exceptionalists, ultimate and lasting glory is at our fingertips.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
In a world of nuclear proliferation it would require a single instance of some state sponsored terrorist group to detonate a nuclear device in a major western city, to prove the opposite.

Precisely.......as would a series of non nuclear detonations in shopping malls or sports stadiums. Comparing the ebb and flow of domestic violence with the rapidly increasing threat from fanatical hordes of people who want to destroy us and our way of life, or with countries who don't share our delicate sensibilities when grabbing territories, has as much validity as the suggestion that our objective in leaving a residual force in Korea was to "make North Korea go away".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: