myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Culture wars
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrgybe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How has that non intervention policy worked out? I'm guessing that the hundreds of thousands of refugees fleeing Syria, the millions killed, maimed or subjugated by ISIS and their cohorts, the Ukranian people, those in the territories adjacent to China and on and on, might relish a rather more robust approach from the country that used lead of the world. The globe is in the most chaotic state since WWII. There is a difference between keeping the peace and making war as our presence in Korea for decades has proven.
jp5

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do believe intervention is required there but I appreciate the fact that we have a president whose knee jerk reaction isn't to send in the troops. We are coming off 14 years of war at the expense of billions of dollars and thousands of lives lost or maimed for life and understandably the American public is reluctant to get into another conflict. Mrgybe I believe the world needs to intervene, not just the U.S.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since WWII the world has looked to the US for strong leadership. If we lead, many will follow as has been shown in the past. Also, those who dislike us will tread very carefully before acting against our interests. That strong leadership has evaporated during this Administration and the consequences are on the front pages every day. Of course a President should be cautious before committing the military.......but equally, I don't want a president to take actions which contradict the recommendations of his expert advisers, merely to fulfill campaign promises. As for knee jerk reactions, I assume you are referring to GW. Too many forget the overwhelming sentiment in the country, and that of Congress, which strongly supported those actions following 9/11. Most of our knees were jerking.
jp5

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JFK's expert advisers told him to invade Cuba, unbeknownst to anyone at the time the Russian troops there had battlefield nukes ready to repel the invasion. We would have responded in kind and maybe we wouldn't be here today! Prior to the Japanese attack in 1941 American sentiments were for staying out of the war. Some say Roosevelt knew about the attack ahead of time.

I get where you're coming from. I believe in a strong nation with a strong military and strong leadership. I believe that when the president draws a red line he'd better be prepared to back it up. Diplomacy yes and when that fails then hit them with everything you've got.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nail_Ponder wrote:
I think the funniest part was a civil servant claiming to have worked hard to get their job.

It can take many years, very heavy credentials, and great perseverance even just to transfer from one CS job to another; getting in the door in the first place can be even harder.
nw30

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpbassman wrote:
I believe in a strong nation with a strong military and strong leadership. I believe that when the president draws a red line he'd better be prepared to back it up. Diplomacy yes and when that fails then hit them with everything you've got.

I agree 100%, but the military has to be fully funded and manned to be able to achieve the desired effect when the need arises. But the most important thing it troop morale, and the trust and faith of the leadership, all the way to the White House. In that category, I'd have to say that we are now poorly prepared. Far too many of our troops are questioning what the hell we are currently doing, and why did so many have to die just to give it all back.
I feel sorry for them, especially today.
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Nail_Ponder wrote:
I think the funniest part was a civil servant claiming to have worked hard to get their job.

It can take many years, very heavy credentials, and great perseverance even just to transfer from one CS job to another; getting in the door in the first place can be even harder.

Really? How hard can it be when 1/4 to 1/5 of the workforce is employed by the government- here?
http://etatscanadiens-canadiangovernments.enap.ca/en/nav.aspx?sortcode=2.0.2.0

AND

http://www.bizjournals.com/bizjournals/on-numbers/scott-thomas/2012/05/governments-employ-20-percent-of.html

Last edited by KGB-NP on Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking that mrgybe has forgotten about all the dictatorial regimes that the US has fomented and supported in the time since WWII. We as a country did a lot of incredibly stupid things, and the folks that we supported weren't the best by a long shot.

Any question about that, one only needs to point out that we supported Saddam Hussein at one point in time. That was before he gassed his own countrymen, and it can probably be argued that he won't have been able to do that if we were more focused and less interested in selfish and stupid BS originating from oil interests. There's a lot more, but thoughtful folks already know that if they have a reasonable knowledge of history.
nw30

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
I'm thinking that mrgybe has forgotten about all the dictatorial regimes that the US has fomented and supported in the time since WWII. We as a country did a lot of incredibly stupid things, and the folks that we supported weren't the best by a long shot.

Any question about that, one only needs to point out that we supported Saddam Hussein at one point in time. That was before he gassed his own countrymen, and it can probably be argued that he won't have been able to do that if we were more focused and less interested in selfish and stupid BS originating from oil interests. There's a lot more, but thoughtful folks already know that if they have a reasonable knowledge of history.

More focused? On what exactly, that he had or was making WMDs?
Okay, take the selfish oil out of the equation, what are you saying?
It sounds like you were in favor of going in earlier before he gassed his own people, but I know you are anti-war.
Just trying to understand that circle that you tried to draw.
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NW30, you're totally missing it. The point I was making is that Saddam Hussein was never a guy we should have supported. Did I suggest anything in what I said that we should have targeted Hussein?

You need to think a bit deeper. All the American Exceptionalism, and forgetful remembrances of our past actions over the years, is a poor strategy for accomplishing anything today. The way that I'm seeing it, mrgybe must really respect and honor a guy like Vice President Dick Cheney for what he's done, and more importantly, what he wants done right now.

Is that the way you see it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10

Jump to: