myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services
 
Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Trump
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 920, 921, 922 ... 1107, 1108, 1109  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
boggsman1



Joined: 24 Jun 2002
Posts: 7649
Location: at a computer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Techno...here's a tidbit I just read...:
1709 ET - Nucor announces a $40-a-ton increase in the price of its flat-rolled steel after a $40 increase last month appeared to be modestly successful at sticking, Jefferies says. Expect other mills to follow suit. US steel producers are desperate to put the brakes on the plunging steel market, which washed away other short-lived price increases earlier this year. The benchmark price of hot-rolled coiled steel in the US is down more than 40% in the past year to $538 a ton, according to Platts, amid weakening demand for steel by manufacturers. US steel mills shipped 8.1 million tons of steel in May, down nearly 1% from April, says the American Iron and Steel Institute. (robert.tita@wsj.com; @bob_tita)


Ronald Reagan Quote: “If you want more of something, subsidize it; if you want less of something, tax it.”
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MalibuGuru



Joined: 11 Nov 1993
Posts: 8650

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
Techno...here's a tidbit I just read...:
1709 ET - Nucor announces a $40-a-ton increase in the price of its flat-rolled steel after a $40 increase last month appeared to be modestly successful at sticking, Jefferies says. Expect other mills to follow suit. US steel producers are desperate to put the brakes on the plunging steel market, which washed away other short-lived price increases earlier this year. The benchmark price of hot-rolled coiled steel in the US is down more than 40% in the past year to $538 a ton, according to Platts, amid weakening demand for steel by manufacturers. US steel mills shipped 8.1 million tons of steel in May, down nearly 1% from April, says the American Iron and Steel Institute. (robert.tita@wsj.com; @bob_tita)


Ronald Reagan Quote: “If you want more of something, subsidize it; if you want less of something, tax it.”


So, tariffs are bringing prices down?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
boggsman1



Joined: 24 Jun 2002
Posts: 7649
Location: at a computer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MalibuGuru wrote:
boggsman1 wrote:
Techno...here's a tidbit I just read...:
1709 ET - Nucor announces a $40-a-ton increase in the price of its flat-rolled steel after a $40 increase last month appeared to be modestly successful at sticking, Jefferies says. Expect other mills to follow suit. US steel producers are desperate to put the brakes on the plunging steel market, which washed away other short-lived price increases earlier this year. The benchmark price of hot-rolled coiled steel in the US is down more than 40% in the past year to $538 a ton, according to Platts, amid weakening demand for steel by manufacturers. US steel mills shipped 8.1 million tons of steel in May, down nearly 1% from April, says the American Iron and Steel Institute. (robert.tita@wsj.com; @bob_tita)


Ronald Reagan Quote: “If you want more of something, subsidize it; if you want less of something, tax it.”


So, tariffs are bringing prices down?


In this case yes, global growth is slowing quite dramatically, and trade policy is part of that...so commodity prices , like steel are cratering. That's why the EU, and Jerome Powell are panicking.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
techno900



Joined: 28 Mar 2001
Posts: 3517

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggs, this whole thing started by you saying:
Quote:
Techno...the entire Steel industry , which stood on the podium with Trump last January and lauded the steel tariffs, is now on the verge of bankruptcy.

Now it seems that we have finally gotten to the "whole story" - The issue with steel has little to do with the tariffs which was my point in the beginning.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
boggsman1



Joined: 24 Jun 2002
Posts: 7649
Location: at a computer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
boggs, this whole thing started by you saying:
Quote:
Techno...the entire Steel industry , which stood on the podium with Trump last January and lauded the steel tariffs, is now on the verge of bankruptcy.

Now it seems that we have finally gotten to the "whole story" - The issue with steel has little to do with the tariffs which was my point in the beginning.


Not true at all. Tariffs are like putting sugar in your gas tank. If you track the steel industry's performance, and the pricing since the tariffs took effect, its uncanny. In fact, almost as soon as the new plants were fired up as part of the photo-op, the industry started its demise. Protecting a profitless industry almost never works....

You have to let the free markets work, tariffs are terrible policy with a 0% track record. Suppliers and end users loaded up in early 2018 pre-tariffs, then oversupply crushed prices and now all these companies are hanging by a thread...stay tuned for the next phot-op, probably next spring during the primaries...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mat-ty



Joined: 07 Jul 2007
Posts: 6889

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
techno900 wrote:
boggs, this whole thing started by you saying:
Quote:
Techno...the entire Steel industry , which stood on the podium with Trump last January and lauded the steel tariffs, is now on the verge of bankruptcy.

Now it seems that we have finally gotten to the "whole story" - The issue with steel has little to do with the tariffs which was my point in the beginning.


Not true at all. Tariffs are like putting sugar in your gas tank. If you track the steel industry's performance, and the pricing since the tariffs took effect, its uncanny. In fact, almost as soon as the new plants were fired up as part of the photo-op, the industry started its demise. Protecting a profitless industry almost never works....

You have to let the free markets work, tariffs are terrible policy with a 0% track record. Suppliers and end users loaded up in early 2018 pre-tariffs, then oversupply crushed prices and now all these companies are hanging by a thread...stay tuned for the next phot-op, probably next spring during the primaries...



0% track record???????

https://www.forbes.com/sites/briandomitrovic/2018/03/09/when-tariffs-worked/#7b19e79f70f9
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
boggsman1



Joined: 24 Jun 2002
Posts: 7649
Location: at a computer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha .... I guess when comparing the US economy in 1787, to 2019, you make a strong point, Maybe Trump is attempting to take us back. Keep burnishing your love for taxes, next you'll tell me you love the fact that we're spending more on interest on the debt than defense....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
real-human



Joined: 02 Jul 2011
Posts: 11226
Location: on earth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speaking of the 1700s...



,

_________________
when good people stay silent the right wing are the only ones heard.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mac



Joined: 07 Mar 1999
Posts: 13334
Location: Berkeley, California

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any doubt about which party is all in on sexually abusing women?

https://gritpost.com/trump-campaign-chair-trafficking/?fbclid=IwAR12ZV0rWQEF9OhVt7kPa9DQLmcvAJvgjHfELgZGdTkOgYkmaWa9-Me0VKw
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mat-ty



Joined: 07 Jul 2007
Posts: 6889

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
Is there any doubt about which party is all in on sexually abusing women?

https://gritpost.com/trump-campaign-chair-trafficking/?fbclid=IwAR12ZV0rWQEF9OhVt7kPa9DQLmcvAJvgjHfELgZGdTkOgYkmaWa9-Me0VKw



Possible your dumbest post....where would I even begin?????
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 920, 921, 922 ... 1107, 1108, 1109  Next
Page 921 of 1109

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

myiW | Weather | Community | Membership | Support | Log in
like us on facebook
© Copyright 1999-2007 WeatherFlow, Inc Contact Us Ad Marketplace

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group