myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Trump
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1161, 1162, 1163 ... 1352, 1353, 1354  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boggsman1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to crash the party with a positive note. I grew up in Upstate NY, my dad worked for NY State . In the early 80's he worked for Mario Cuomo's successful run for Governor. In 1984 I watched Mario give a flawless speech in SF at the Dem Convention (didn't help Walter Mondale much), a speech still referenced in many college public speaking classes. Here we are almost 40 years later , and the country is witnessing the outstanding job Mario's son Andrew is doing guiding NY State through a worst case scenario battling the virus. Calm, organized, consistent, honest, and stark. Right guy, right time.
Also on a positive note....and old drinking buddy , currently the Gov of CA, made a bold call 15 days ago to lock down the Bay Area, and the numbers are now flattening ...
Two leaders leading .....
mac

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
coboardhead wrote:
In all honesty Mrgybe. Do you believe that Trump has handled his Presidency as a competent CEO would have? I don’t know you Mrgybe. But, from what I have read of your posts I have this feeling that stockpiles of critical medical supplies would not have been allowed to be depleted if you were running this “corporation”.

What I would have done is not germane to the conversation. Several of you here have put the blame for the shortage of protective gear squarely on President Trump. The facts do not support that. If, for example, you care to find out why N95 protective masks have been in short supply, explore the huge 2009 draw-down of the Federal stockpile, which was not replenished despite recommendations to do so. The LA Times and Bloomberg have both covered the topic........hardly Trump cheerleaders.

Is government inefficient? Absolutely.....it does not attract the brightest and the best. However, to lay all this at President Trump's feet is disingenuous.

News flash. California needs 40,000 ventilators. Trump administration sends 170–that don’t work.

It’s not all Trump’s fault—Jerry Brown cut funding for medical supplies. But he fiddled for 6 weeks, and his staff refused Congressional offers for funding. Staffing is down, and experienced staffing is way down in the health agencies.

Republican ideology says the states should take the lead in many arenas of governance. But when that means that the Federal government cannot manage the logistical challenges of allocating gthe Federal supplies among states with very different risk, it has failed.
real-human

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is all the medias fault..
mac

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:

Is government inefficient? Absolutely.....it does not attract the brightest and the best. However, to lay all this at President Trump's feet is disingenuous.

Just to show how blind and unpleasant the modern "conservative" is, mrgybe hurls an arrogant attack on those devoted to public service instead of oil marketing. This claim is utterly arrogant as well as wrong. Tell it to the sailors trapped in an aircraft carrier with a raging corona virus. Tell it to the courageous women in public health departments who started the nation's shelter in place on March 16. Tell us what Drumpf was doing at that time.

Every City manager I have dealt with has more talent--and humility--than those I have dealt with in the oil industry. The government staff who continue to collect the garbage, treat the water and wastewater, and deal with public health are talented and committed. I know the people in my city who are trying to get the homeless into safer facilities, at great risk to themselves. Each of them has more courage than the various right wing jerks who have described this virus as less dangerous than the flu, or as an outright hoax. I know the teachers and volunteers trying to develop methods to teach children remotely. All of them have more talent than mrgybe. None of them claim that they know what to do without "some bureaucrat" telling them what to do. They work cooperatively, without the ranting that we hear from Isobars about how he will leave his house whenever he wants.

As for leadership, it started in the local governments in the Bay area where the first shelter in place orders were given. They were tightened by Newsom, and swiftly followed by governors in the hardest hit states, Washington and New York. Meanwhile, we find Republican governors like Tate Reeves refuse to order shelter in place until today, putting additional citizens in his state at risk. Reeves tried to use this as an excuse to ban abortion--but I guess it doesn't matter if more adults die.

There is a lot to be done, and scientists at public facilities like UCSF are working to try to identify blood tests that show anti-bodies for the corona virus that might guide us to measures that can put more people back to work at essential industries and at developing the necessary public health measures to manage the pandemic. Government has a very important role in steering money into the academic and private sectors to develop testing and treatment methods. These sectors don't work without mutual cooperation and respect.

Of course, in order to do this, we are going to have to test--and keep track of both the death count and the infection rate--to see what is working. Someone who would describe keeping track of the death rate as "gleeful" is so blinded by his biases and hatred that he cannot see the bigger picture.

What do all of these people working to reduce the human impact and keep essential services have in common? It is not that they are Democrats, it is that they are committed to making government work. They are committed to serving the public interest, not corporate profit. They are bright and committed, and mrgybe is too blind to see that.

What has Trump done? Send broken ventilators to California.

Last edited by mac on Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
mac

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a contrast in leadership styles and abilities, check Newsom's press conference today. No narcissistic comments about what he personally has done. Listed the things that have been accomplished, and generously thanked those responsible. No complaints about the Trump administration sending only a handful of respirators, and broken to boot. Merely praise for the companies that fixed them and are making new ones.
mat-ty

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
I'm going to crash the party with a positive note. I grew up in Upstate NY, my dad worked for NY State . In the early 80's he worked for Mario Cuomo's successful run for Governor. In 1984 I watched Mario give a flawless speech in SF at the Dem Convention (didn't help Walter Mondale much), a speech still referenced in many college public speaking classes. Here we are almost 40 years later , and the country is witnessing the outstanding job Mario's son Andrew is doing guiding NY State through a worst case scenario battling the virus. Calm, organized, consistent, honest, and stark. Right guy, right time.
Also on a positive note....and old drinking buddy , currently the Gov of CA, made a bold call 15 days ago to lock down the Bay Area, and the numbers are now flattening ...

And both have praised Trump.....and both have been mature enough to not finger point and politicize. Mario knows the truth, the country was not prepared for anything of this magnitude, on his watch NY has lost 20,000 hospital beds and shut down spending for ventilators....

Hopefully we all learn from this mess ..
vientomas

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mat-ty wrote:
boggsman1 wrote:

And both have praised Trump.....and both have been mature enough to not finger point and politicize. Mario knows the truth, the country was not prepared for anything of this magnitude, on his watch NY has lost 20,000 hospital beds and shut down spending for ventilators....

Oh, you mean the "not worse than the flu" mess? What have you learned?
coboardhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the middle of a health care crisis, Trump is continuing his battle against the Affordable Care Act.

This is leadership? This is the guy you want the nation to rally behind? Really?
real-human

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mat-ty wrote:
boggsman1 wrote:

lies lies and more lies from you.... lies and liars who tell them, were you born a liar or did you learn that at home with your racism? .
mac

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had him at three.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/insight-therapy/201705/psychological-science-says-trump-is-four-year-old?fbclid=IwAR3o5C5bR3-4CedokTitbhx_XvtQDdD-C6VVucDFSamdkINugGVJhoK7nS8
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1161, 1162, 1163 ... 1352, 1353, 1354  Next
Page 1162 of 1354

Jump to: