myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
The death of quality daily journalism
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mogunn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Nope. That label comes from Mo Gunn and her decades of false personal attacks. I named my source for the Cronkite claim, and have cited references for it in the past.

I have never made a false personal attack on you, Mikey. I believe your post is a false personal attack on me.
Try to be nice. It would serve you well.

KGB-NP

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baja-human wrote:
I believe the shooting of a camera man and the interviewer were highly probable because of the typical right wing hate that is being condoned by denials by the right wingers... Enabling their lemmings to go murder black and other in churches, shoot gabby, blow up federal buildings, record numbers of threats to the black president even before he stepped into office. Again the right wing energize their base with this right wingers are th victim hate talk.

This right wing we are the victim of the media and in the USA.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/two-tv-journalists-fatally-shot-on-air-in-va/ar-BBm7rTD?ocid=spartanntp

Quote:
Reporter, cameraman shot to death on air in central Virginia

you see any other motive?

again you can read even here the delusional right wingers playing the so called propaganda victim card. Need any other proof for the high probability profile???

Probably nothing to do with break down of family structure, and as a result, mental health I guess?
nw30

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baja-human wrote:
I believe the shooting of a camera man and the interviewer were highly probable because of the typical right wing hate that is being condoned by denials by the right wingers... Enabling their lemmings to go murder black and other in churches, shoot gabby, blow up federal buildings, record numbers of threats to the black president even before he stepped into office. Again the right wing energize their base with this right wingers are th victim hate talk.

This right wing we are the victim of the media and in the USA.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/two-tv-journalists-fatally-shot-on-air-in-va/ar-BBm7rTD?ocid=spartanntp

Quote:
Reporter, cameraman shot to death on air in central Virginia

you see any other motive?

again you can read even here the delusional right wingers playing the so called propaganda victim card. Need any other proof for the high probability profile???

Trying to justify the shooting? Holey crap, your brains are on fire.
He was a hate filled gay black man, so it was okay? Yikes!

http://abcnews.go.com/US/shooting-alleged-gunman-details-grievances-suicide-notes/story?id=33336339
pueno

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Fick-shun wrote:
Nope. That label comes from Mo Gunn and her decades of false personal attacks. I named my source for the Cronkite claim, and have cited references for it in the past.

Mikey, you remain as funny as ever.

Too bad nobody laughs with you, big guy.

They're all laughing AT you.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
mat-ty

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's amazing that people that preach about hate are so full of hate.....
pueno

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mat-ty wrote:

Doncha just hate those haters....???

jp5

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mat-ty wrote:

Yeah, I kinda noticed that.
mac

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other reason that I started this thread was the coverage of the Cement River/Gold King Mine Spill. The initial coverage was sufficient to generate howls of hyperbole from the oil company apologists. Typical was this posting, quoted by NW:

Quote:
Gold King Mine spill exposes Obama hypocrisy, threatens EPA credibility, critics say

By Ben Wolfgang - The Washington Times - Monday, August 10, 2015

The political fallout from last week’s toxic spill at Colorado’s Gold King Mine intensified Monday, with critics saying the incident has exposed clear hypocrisy within the Obama administration while threatening the credibility of the Environmental Protection Agency at a crucial moment.

Doing the bidding of the Koch's, without bothering to get the story, the Times actually compared the spill to the BP blowout.

There is no question that EPA and/or their contractors made mistakes in both their response plan and in their communication. The latter continues. But the fundamental thrust of much of the initial coverage implied that EPA had fouled a clear mountain stream and threatened drinking water downstream. I saw nothing in the early coverage, and almost nothing until CB posted some local coverage, that provided any background for why EPA was there in the first place, and the consequences of the spill. I would consider fundamental reporting to include:

1. Something about the water quality in the stream. Cement Creek is pretty much devoid of life, particularly trout, although, after a pretty good chunk of digging, I could tell that it didn't seem to pose a threat to drinking water. The Animas River downstream is somewhat compromised, but water quality in Cement Creek, much less downstream, was not identified as posing a threat to human health. I would guess that is because there are no direct withdrawals from the Creek until downstream where the contaminants are diluted. In any event, the State of Colorado's health and water quality agencies had plenty of information about stream quality. Not reported. This allows poorly informed citizens and the right to generate hysteria against EPA. Mrgybe threw as much gasoline on the fire as he could, claiming:

Quote:
EPA waits for 24 hours to notify residents that they had just ruined the river from which they get their drinking water

The facts and physics on this is pretty simple. Discharge from Cement Creek is now highly contaminated, and water supplies are drawn downstream far enough so those contaminants are dilute. That's why EPA was continuing several decades of work in mine remediation. The discharge of 3, or 10 times the mass of contaminants, along with a plug of water, means that those contaminants will go downstream, a little faster, where they will be diluted to the same levels within days, if not within a much slower time. If the steady drip of heavy metals from the Gold King Mine has not made downstream wells contaminated, a temporary increase won't either. But lacking information stimulates the paranoia of the uninformed--and spin by EPA opponents.

2. Good quality reporting would have some context. In this case, some background on mining and the legal framework for regulating, or in some cases, not regulating it. Nothing in most of the papers. In California, landowners are responsible for contamination on their land--but may lack money to pay for clean-up. In Colorado, much of the mining was done on Federal land, under statutes that date back to the 19th century and have little provision for restoration of the land. The Clean Water Act of 1972 provides only limited tools for cleaning up mines. CERCLA provides more tools, and funding, but locals were loathe to have the site designated as a Superfund because of the potential impact on tourism. None of the national news reported the approximately 400 abandoned mines in the watershed contributing to the water quality problems, or the fact that many sites also have extensive piles of tailings and others have abandoned processing facilities. No coverage at all of USGS studies, completed in 2007, identifying the sources of contamination and the highest priority sites for clean up. No coverage on the nature of the relationship between EPA and the State on cleaning up mines, or the various efforts since the early 1990's, with different degrees of success.

It is a sad state of things when the Murdoch papers don't go beyond coverage that makes the Koch's happy, and when virtually all newspapers spend a minimal amount of time on any news that doesn't generate a click on an advertiser's web site.
nw30

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now how about some of your critical review of the media, when it comes to burying the news of the now daily releases of new disgusting videos about harvesting baby parts by Planned Parenthood.
I await your fair and balanced review.
mac

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean the scientific research that Ben Carson did?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: