myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Delta wind
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spennie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bond1: NOT my home site, over 400 miles away. I wish it were closer!

Gorge trolls: No need to get all up in my face, you like the Gorge, great! If we all liked the same thing the world would be a pretty boring place! What you should be pointing out to me is how beautiful the Gorge is, or how many different things there are to do, or as someone mentioned the never-ending ebb flow, or the giant swells, or the cute little town of Hood River. The Delta is extremely limited in all those things: I don't think anyone wants to go out for the evening in Stockton (not without their guns, anyway!). When the wind eventually backs down there's not much to recommend in the Delta. San Francisco's not far, but that novelty wears off quickly once you experience the traffic.

I loved everything about the Gorge, except the gustiness, which cannot be denied, and the driving around trying to pick the best spot that day, using questionable forecasts.

Arrgh

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spennie you shit disturber - not that there's anything wrong with that - I'm just surprised you could find 3 days in a row when M10 was working this summer. It sure does produce a smooth graph though, and I'm told the water isn't so choppy there. Too bad it's about a mile upwind from any launch.
johnl

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spennie wrote:

Gorge trolls: No need to get all up in my face, you like the Gorge, great! If we all liked the same thing the world would be a pretty boring place! What you should be pointing out to me is how beautiful the Gorge is, or how many different things there are to do, or as someone mentioned the never-ending ebb flow, or the giant swells, or the cute little town of Hood River. The Delta is extremely limited in all those things: I don't think anyone wants to go out for the evening in Stockton (not without their guns, anyway!). When the wind eventually backs down there's not much to recommend in the Delta. San Francisco's not far, but that novelty wears off quickly once you experience the traffic.

I loved everything about the Gorge, except the gustiness, which cannot be denied, and the driving around trying to pick the best spot that day, using questionable forecasts.

Gorge trolls?? You posted it in the Northwest section (i.e. Gorge) NOT the southwest section (i.e. Delta). So do you need geography lessons or are YOU the troll?
Bond1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spennie wrote:

You come to the "Northwest USA & Canada" forum, post this stuff and refer to us as trolls?

You're the one trolling, Dick.
starfish

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:39 am    Post subject: No love lost Reply with quote

You might love the gorge but it does not love you. Stay home
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wind, schmind! It's about the swell.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spennie wrote:
I loved everything about the Gorge, except the ... driving around trying to pick the best spot that day, using questionable forecasts.

"The best spot THAT day?" Many serious sailor sail 2 or even 3 sites per day, following the wandering best AM/midday/PM wind.

Heck, I've seen not just questionable forecasts but flat-out WRONG evening post-casts. i.e., "Well, folks, we had another great windy day in Hood River." (From a shop which emailed forecasts to subscribers, at 6 PM on a windless day. I quit their service that day.)

Then there was the time Bart told us on the radio near 7 AM to go golfing, cause there won't be any wind today (I had already had over two hours on a 3.x sail at the Hatchery). His midday update said the same ... no wind, play golf (we were still on 3.7 sails ... and stayed on them 'til after suppertime.)

I think he phoned that one in from some other time zone.

Now I study half a dozen forecasts, throw a dart (because no source is consistently superior), start my engine when the wind hits 20 AND several other criteria are met, and still get surprised often for better or worse. I have one advantage: essentially zero traffic, so it's a pleasant cruise. And those fabled giant swell are just rare icing on the cake; my swell comment referred simply to that fact that for many of us, the wind speed is irrelevant, that it's the terrain that makes WSing worthwhile regardless of the wind.

BTW ... despite our warnings, a bud camped at one spot in the Gorge for 8 days expecting the wind to come to him. It began blowing 4.2 at his doorstep an hour after he arrived on a Saturday and didn't stop even at night until he left the next Saturday. It can happen.

OTOH, we've seen dead Julys. That, too, can happen, especially to people who don't drive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: