myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
punta san carlos or other wavespots in august??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rexi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:39 pm    Post subject: punta san carlos or other wavespots in august?? Reply with quote

Hello, this is way early but i´m actually planning a few trips for next year. I have planned some nice stuff for may but also have about 2 weeks in the beginning of august that i could use for a bromance trip.

We (two windsurfers and one kiter) can get very cheap flights to the states if we book very early. So we are thinking about wave destinations, first thought was about going all the way down to punta san carlos. How is it going there on your own, how is the drive and is it ok pitch a tent there? (i´m aware of having to take everything from water to windsurf gear with you if your not with solosports)

If not Punta san carlos, what other wave destinations would you recommend that time of year?
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

August can have great S swells, but oftentimes, get's rain and no NW winds. You can always surf, ride mountain bikes, go snorkelling, learn to kitesurf. Probably one of the 5 worse months to go there, right behind Dec., Jan., Feb., and July.
Be aware, PSC is a very easy beginner wave spot, so if you or your crew are advanced wave sailors, you might be a little disappointed. The waves break very soft, and hardly ever to the bottom. It's also not friendly to kiters, because there is a mesa upwind of the surfzone, around 20' high, which can block launching winds down on the beach, the launching up in the mesa can be a trying experience in the hard packed rocky terrain. For windsurfing, you just walk 20 yards off the beach, and the wind starts to come down off the mesa, enough for a beach start and a slog out.
Since you're planning a year in advance, it's hard to tell what kind of summer weather is coming. The best is lots of NW clearing winds, especially in California, which we have had very few days of this year.
Are you sure you don't want to come to Waddell Creek area near Santa Cruz?
rexi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info!
We are not fixed on anything but i would like to try something other then our usual tenerife trip and a side to side off reef break sounds good. We are not super good wave riders but our breaks up here are usually reef breaks and we sail in waves up to logo to mast high (although i´m usually shitting my pants when it gets that big Wink )

I´ll look into Waddell, thanks for the heads up Smile
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had my best days at PSC during August. Usually the water has warmed up a bit, the waves are pumping and wind is blowing. I wouldn't recommend a tent as your primary source of shelter because it's so windy. I would rent a van (that is approved to go to Mexico), but don't tell them it will be off road.

Don't go if there is no swell. Don't go if in the middle of a big heat wave. Don't go if a hurricane is forecast to hit northern Baja. Otherwise it's amazing in August.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As said, August and July is normally months for Plan B. If you're coming from Europe to San Diego, to rent a car, there is little Plan B.
A Hurricane can rain for two days, making access impossible or very trying for a week after the rain.
Lack of NW winds can last over 2 weeks in August.
If you do make it in during August, you still have to be prepared for getting stuck there until the roads dry out, meaning very little resupply at El Rosario or Ensenada.
rexi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info! yeah, if we would be flying to san diego then i guess we won´t have much of a chance for plan b coming all the way from n europe. Perhaps i can switch trips and do my may trip in august and go to san carlos in late may. It depends on a few variables so i would have to look into that.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you are willing to drive lots, book your trip thru san francisco. that way you have the flexibility to stay there or make the huge trek to PSC if the wx guessers indicate the trip down is worthy of the risk? just a thought.

or scrp that, and book a trip to west australia?

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably better to stay as booked.
San Diego to Jalama is only 250 miles, to Waddel maybe 450.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PSC last week. I was there the week before. Most guys were on 4.0 sails. KP I believe was on a 3.7. Waves mast high in August, had fallen to head high by contest week.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=boujmaa+guilloul+Mexico&FORM=HDRSC3#view=detail&mid=8BE81DBE64B1C4D1EE338BE81DBE64B1C4D1EE33
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think Hood river. If that shuts down the coast should work. Best of both worlds..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: