myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Retirement
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my plan now is to have my surgery to repair a torn hip labrum in Honolulu then move to the gorge to recover so I can be near a gym. A rich developer closed down the Princeville gym 5 years ago Mad
While I'm recovering I can establish residency and work on getting an Oregon contractors license. Maybe I need one for Washington too?
Looks like HR and The Dalles are the only places with a gym? I don't think I want to live east of The Dalles, I like a greener rainier climate.
It's been so long since I've been in Oregon, I'll need to do a trip to look around.
mac

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject: h Reply with quote

Bard is a scofflaw. His brother paid a major fine for illegally filling wetlands. Bard just hates getting caught.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrong thread, unless you have anything to add about retirement or the Gorge beat it.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While visiting the Gorge during the winter months is not prime for really getting the most of the area like you would find in summer, it might be a perfect time to see if you really like the weather, the short days and the flow of daily life in the off season. As a plus though, you've got skiing or snowboarding to invest in. It might not be something you can do during your recovery from the hip procedure, but you could still drive up and take in the future possibilities.
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BB,
Sounds like a great plan, and hope it will work out for you. That is one place I would love to retire to.

Be patient with the hip recovery. I had a total hip replacement surgery as a result of skiing accident. It took two full years to get to full strength but I was sailing after seven months. I now do everything and more than I did before the accident.

I would imagine that HR would be a great place to run a business. I always love the people I meet there. Such a great vibe there.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry BB&NP, Chairman Mao doesn't know what he's talking about. No fine, no case. But he's got to be proud of the EPA huh! They should all be made to retire after their great job ruining those rivers.
real-human

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MalibuGuru wrote:
swchandler wrote:
I guess if someone specializes in creating eyesores and loves trashing the environment, one should just look the other way and not say anything about it? If you ignore it, it's really not a problem, right? The way that I see it, life's just not that easy.

You mean the EPA? There go my plans to fly fish in Colorado. Twisted Evil

From what I have now read about the issue the owner was the one who should be held accountable. That water would eventually come out, he needed to prevent it from coming in in the first place, saw the owner interviewed, he blames it on the mine on the other side of the mountain. Note I heard a number that there are about 230 such mines in that region, and some if the mines end up reaking would be a measure of 10,000 times more water. but the worst is they just continually leak at thousands of gallons a minute....

http://www.denverpost.com/environment/ci_28647978/colorado-faces-230-mines-leaking-heavy-metals-into
Quote:

After the 3 million gallon Gold King Mine blowout, Colorado officials began scrambling to create a map of a problem they've known about for years: 230 other old mines statewide leaking heavy metals-laced muck into headwaters of the nation's rivers.

These old mines have leaked so much for so long, thousands of gallons a minute, that state agencies don't track the combined toxic flow. But by the estimates at sites where the Environmental Protection Agency has stepped in, the overall discharge equals at least one Gold King disaster every two days — spreading cadmium, copper, lead, arsenic, manganese, zinc and other contaminants.

Bandera Mine wastewater flows into a creek that feeds the Animas River. State mining regulators often don’t discover old mine discharges until health
Bandera Mine wastewater flows into a creek that feeds the Animas River. State mining regulators often don't discover old mine discharges until health responders are called to test water after residents report bright colors or dead fish. (Brent Lewis, The Denver Post)

"We're not OK with any of this. We're not OK with contaminated water running into waterways," said Ginny Brannon, director of reclamation, mining and safety for the state.

"It is beyond our control. We inherited what we inherited. We took that, all those sites, and every year we steadily move forward with the goal of cleaning it up. We do as much as we can every year. We would love to do more. If we had the money."

The EPA has calculated that 40 percent of river headwaters in the West are impaired by acid mine drainage. In Colorado, state health officials Thursday determined that discharges from the 230 old mines have contaminated 1,645 miles of rivers and streams.

But there is no state or federal program for systematically inspecting those mines, tucked away in high mountains, the hangover from mining booms and busts that made Colorado a state.

Colorado mining regulators say that's because culprits at most sites have vanished.

The waterways contaminated by old mines — concentrated around historic mining hubs Silverton, Leadville, Lake City, Salida, Montezuma, Central City and Ouray — include segments of the Arkansas, Animas, Eagle, Big Thompson, Gunnison, South Platte and Uncompahgre rivers.

KGB-NP

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beaglebuddy wrote:
Wrong thread, unless you have anything to add about retirement or the Gorge beat it.

^^^What he said ^^^
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beaglebuddy wrote:
I have no issues with anything Mike posts. He's a bit long winded and prone to hyperbole, often intentional, usually entertaining. I don't always read all of it.
If you don't like don't read.

I gather someone once again whined about my tomes. Guess it didn't occur to him or her that this one was specifically for you, directly responsive to your questions, and thorough because you have so much at stake in this decision AND I've been there and thought it through.

Anyone who reads my longer posts through is either a big fan or Krazy Glued to his computer chair, as few of them are intended for casual perusal by bystanders.

Hyperbole enhances and energizes prose. I leave it to readers to decide whether statements are literally exaggerations (e.g., "outrun your shadow" when entering a jibe) or just stoke … an exciting way to describe factual events. As I’ve often said, anyone who questions the veracity of anything I’ve posted is not only welcome but encouraged to ask for support or clarification. I can back up most of what I say. Exception include the obvious:
• Demands that I take MY precious time to make and post videos. Come make ‘em yourself.
• Childish, baseless personal attacks. Stick to the topic.
• Fabrications of what I’ve posted. Adults only, please.
• Anyone whose behavior has earned them a place on my killfile is highly unlikely to reach my computer screen. If an adult wants a response to some filtered challenge, it’s welcome, but he’ll have to repeat and maybe even sanitize the question so I can even see it OR refer me to the accusation if you feel it’s valid and important. The usual “Liar, liar, pants on fire, you racist slut” does not qualify.

Tip: I can find not one even remotely hyperbolic statement of mine in this thread.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beaglebuddy wrote:
move to the gorge to recover so I can be near a gym. ... establish residency and work on getting an Oregon contractors license. Maybe I need one for Washington too? ... I don't think I want to live east of The Dalles, I like a greener rainier climate.

Good thinking. One can look at the Oregon wall of the Gorge from the river or the WA side at about Rowena and clearly observe the transition from deciduous trees (to the east) from evergreens (to the west). A resident on the WA hillside opposite Mosier says he can very often look west at a maritime climate and east at a more desert climate. Don't overlook the Stevenson/Cascade Locks region; it can rain/drizzle there every day for 6 winter months.

You will find a gym invaluable for serious rehab. Home stuff can go only so far.

Yes, you will want licenses in both states. They're separated only by their tax structures and a short bridge.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: