myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where has the civility gone
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hoodvista

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, do you have such an inflated ego that you think she watched you during your entire "hour plus" session to know that you didn't try anything "remotely extreme." More likely, she assumed you actually tried to progress and attempted a few moves out of your comfort zone, in which case missing a few jibes would be completely expected no matter how advanced you are.

johnl wrote:

I went out of the cove for a lazy run. I came in after an hour plus and a woman on the beach couldn't believe my hair was still completely dry (this was a year I was protesting haircuts). I was having fun slashing and jibing on the swell and going for small jumps, nothing even remotely extreme.
johnl

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoodvista wrote:
John, do you have such an inflated ego that you think she watched you during your entire "hour plus" session to know that you didn't try anything "remotely extreme." More likely, she assumed you actually tried to progress and attempted a few moves out of your comfort zone, in which case missing a few jibes would be completely expected no matter how advanced you are.

johnl wrote:

I went out of the cove for a lazy run. I came in after an hour plus and a woman on the beach couldn't believe my hair was still completely dry (this was a year I was protesting haircuts). I was having fun slashing and jibing on the swell and going for small jumps, nothing even remotely extreme.

Wow. Were your other 9 posts of the same quality? Or do you just love insulting people that you don't even know.....

But since you still don't get it I'll spell it out more clearly. I didn't say ANYTHING about progressing or not progressing. I didn't say ANYTHING about attempting something new. And I didn't say ANYTHING about having a bad session. I DID say that you should be able to make your jibes consistently before sailing the hatch. Is that too confusing? And it has NOTHING to do with the ego I may or may not have. It has EVERYTHING to being considerate for people sailing an advance site with advanced skills as others have mentioned.
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the sites should be mark like ski hills? Nothing is worse than passing over moguls on the chairlift and watching some noobs destroying then with snowplow turns. Same goes for hacks like me killing the buzz for the truly advanced sailors on a big day. I'd rather launch at Swell and play and admire from the sidelines.

That said, I found the Event Site is the most unpredictable sailing site in the corridor.
johnl

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nail_Ponder wrote:
Maybe the sites should be mark like ski hills? Nothing is worse than passing over moguls on the chairlift and watching some noobs destroying then with snowplow turns. Same goes for hacks like me killing the buzz for the truly advanced sailors on a big day. I'd rather launch at Swell and play and admire from the sidelines.

That said, I found the Event Site is the most unpredictable sailing site in the corridor.

Funny, many years ago Event Site was the flagship of the gorge. Beautiful area, nice rigging and a variety of conditions within a short sail. But between the endless circle of beginners and the shameless hero jibes right in the launch area it was interesting.....
a-might-bit-goosty

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typical Hatch day. Meaning fantastic wind, swell, and camaraderie with friends.
But equally typically there was the irate woman angrily yelling "what are you doing?" as I sailed remotely in her comfort zone. (As an aside, this was mid-river, she was slogging, I was planning, I was downwind of her and thus not stealing her wind, nor was I causing her to pinch, I just wasn't that close - it was weird).
Let's see, I've been yelled at once or twice in 20 years of regular sailing of the Gorge, Bay, Maui, etc, and yelled at twice in the last week at the Hatch.
Is it different? Yes, it is, and that was the original poster's point.
Am I going to stop going? Hell no. Aside from a 3-second encounter, it was a fantastic day. Guess it's just the price of going to the Hatch.
surfersteve

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkirz - I think the answer was "having a blast!" Glad you got past it and had a good session. Maybe she just needed a hug?
johnl

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkirz wrote:
But equally typically there was the irate woman angrily yelling "what are you doing?" as I sailed remotely in her comfort zone. (As an aside, this was mid-river, she was slogging, I was planning, I was downwind of her and thus not stealing her wind, nor was I causing her to pinch, I just wasn't that close - it was weird).
Let's see, I've been yelled at once or twice in 20 years of regular sailing of the Gorge, Bay, Maui, etc, and yelled at twice in the last week at the Hatch.
Am I going to stop going? Hell no. Aside from a 3-second encounter, it was a fantastic day. Guess it's just the price of going to the Hatch.

And when you have less experienced sailing "above their level" you will see this. Which was my point. BUT as you mentioned at least it was just a bump in your day.

BUT the big question is... Maryhill, the Wall, Rufus, or Roosevelt on Friday 😎
Bond1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkirz wrote:

I have no idea what was going on with this woman, but in my 30+ years of sailing the Gorge I've had plenty of occasions when I'm slogging and someone planes below me right at the moment I might have a chance to catch a wave, give a pump, and plane away. I'm on the edge of changing my speed and course dramatically. I might yell "Get the F*** away from me!." I might yell this to one of my best sailing buddies or a complete stranger. What I'm saying is "Get the F*** away from me!" You can take it however you take it, but laughing at me is probably the best response. Then maybe give me a little more room to get planing next time. Unless you want me to yell at you again and give you something to laugh about. But you better not find yourself slogging any time soon. Smile
ImmigrantJesus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah - really!

C'mon JohnL - if people are not falling on their jibes, then what the hell am I supposed to use as a jibe buoy!

There are three benefits to this.
1. I have something to jibe around. Otherwise I have to look for a wave.
2. They blew their jibe and I made mine - so I feel good about myself.
3. They get to watch me jibe - so they learn proper technique!

People who think it is rude when someone jibes around them are just insecure and need to look for a different sport - like golf...

I do not jibe around French Canadians (or is it Canadiens) as they are generally rude and highly sensitive people - if I anger them - they may not share their cigarettes with me - and it is too cold in Canada for golf...
johnl

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ImmigrantJesus wrote:
Yeah - really!

C'mon JohnL - if people are not falling on their jibes, then what the hell am I supposed to use as a jibe buoy!

There are three benefits to this.
1. I have something to jibe around. Otherwise I have to look for a wave.
2. They blew their jibe and I made mine - so I feel good about myself.
3. They get to watch me jibe - so they learn proper technique!

People who think it is rude when someone jibes around them are just insecure and need to look for a different sport - like golf...

I do not jibe around French Canadians (or is it Canadiens) as they are generally rude and highly sensitive people - if I anger them - they may not share their cigarettes with me - and it is too cold in Canada for golf...

Why do people keep saying I said you can't fall?? Can't anybody read anymore? Rolling Eyes I said you SHOULD be capable of making all your jibes before most people will consider you "advanced" (sorry industry standard). Heck my lack of sailing combined with the gusty up and down conditions at Maryhill introduced me to the water more than I liked. Embarassed

But I hope you are kidding about the jibe bouys. Anybody who comes within a masts length of me at full speed intentionally while I am in the water will get a free introduction (which they will not enjoy) with me back on the beach. In fact the last guy who did it to me (a LONG time ago on the delta) had me watching for my chance to pay him back. After I "buzzed" him within a few feet at full speed he didn't see the humor in it anymore. He decided I was crazy and made sure not to come near me again. But the end result was that neither of us enjoyed the rest of the session. It just isn't worth it.... It's all fun and games till somebody gets hurt for no reason....

Oh yeah golf sucks..... Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: