myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
BIC WindSUP 10'.6 vs. Exocet WindSUP 10'
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:01 pm    Post subject: BIC WindSUP 10'.6 vs. Exocet WindSUP 10' Reply with quote

I wanted to post this in case anyone is in the same quandary I was in about which board to get. I now have both boards, and honestly I probably started with the wrong board, so those reading can learn from my experience.

I initially bought the BIC because it was less money, I felt it was tougher if dropped or hit by a big wave, and I did not think I needed the foot straps. As I was not really sure if I would even like Windsurfing a WindSUP board, the BIC seemed liked the least risky choice.

Now that I have both I realize the Exocet can really move fast once you are in the foot straps, and I also realized it turns much easier than the BIC. It feels like a much smaller board the way it responds and goes, but like any big board, it is very stable, and it glides nicely.

So if you like blasting around sometimes in the foot straps, or you want to do a lot of turning on waves, I recommend the Exocet. If you are looking for a tough, durable board that is very stable and also very fun in the waves, you might think about the BIC.

One area the BIC wins is ease of carrying. The BIC has a built in perfectly balanced hand grip and is easy to carry with one arm, the Exocet you can carry it using the dagger board, but the balance is off so you need your other hand to keep it balanced. With the dagger board and foot straps and the construction of the board it feels a lot heavier than carrying the BIC.

I have a 130l Freeride board too which I used for years, and I prefer the WindSUP. In non-foot strap conditions the WindSUP has a great glide, it almost feels like planing but in slow motion. The large deck pad helps no matter where you need to put your feet. On the 130l Freeride if I am not in straps I have at least one foot off the deck pad, and I am normally slogging, not gliding. Also, these big boards catch the waves much easier, especially if you want to catch it early on when it is still a swell.

I am light at 155lbs., so depending on your weight you might consider the larger Exocet 11'8 which has a lot of great reviews on this website.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the candid thoughts.

it has baffled me why the windsurfing business has, almost to a brand, schoffed its base of planing windsurfing in favor of chasing after the surf community concerning windSUP's. by pandering to the surf community and ignoring the planing aspects of surf oriented long boards many folks have tried, failed, and lost interest in light wind wave sailing.

i have argued with folks, both consumers and brand managers for years about this unfortunate strategy. windsurfing leadership has shown a very cynical hand, chasing after surf community dollars, and losing its base even faster to nintendo, ball sports, kiting, SUP (surf), and an ever decreasing middle class budget.

if i had only one board to choose, what would be seems to rarely be addressed by the WS community. easy for me: the 11'5" carbon kona/curve. waves great, free rides good, SUP's okay. since i am a busy/lazy human, screw the paddle, i've got zillions of other things to do if the wind is below 5 mph.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
waterloo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JI, please muster as much influence as your can with Exo for an evolution of the 11'5.

Take everything that works in the 11'5 - rocker line, planing flat, rails, OFO and package in a 11'0 by 72.5 in carbon...simples Smile
wernerhickey

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:36 am    Post subject: Agree jingebritsen Reply with quote

Began in the Early 80s with the original windsurfer - I have seen countless people come and go due to this. Its not cool to sail a long board because of the culture of the sport - what a shame. Have the Exocet 11 8 love it. Every dayish head to the beach after work - I will be sailing, fast, slow, glide on some swell I don't know till I get there but I know I will be going out.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

waterloo, agreed.

that would seem simple until one looks at how dysfunctional cobra has become.

brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to update some of what I said as it no longer is accurate. My first Exocet board cracked and I received a speedy replacement and decided to upgrade to the Bamboo Wood version.

I said previously the BIC wins in ease of carrying, but on my new board I had the dagger board rubber seal sewed shut, so there is no dagger board. So now the board is easy to carry with one hand, just like the BIC. Also, perhaps because of the Bamboo, and also because it does not have a dagger board, it is now lighter than the BIC, where the previous board was heavier.

Lastly I did a lot of wave riding with the BIC while waiting for my Exocet, and I now noticed the Exocet turns way better in the waves than the BIC. The Exocet makes me look like a better surfer, as it allows me to cut back and up and down the wave, something I could not seem to do with the BIC.
Goodwind

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear that your Wood version Exocet arrived speedily and performing well thus far. How much does the board weigh without the dagger board? Can you carry from land to water a sail together with the board by holding on a foot strap? In the ideal world, Exocet would make a carbon version 10' windsup without a dagger board. Wink
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The board weighs 29.8 lbs with the fin and foot straps on it. The BIC is 33.6 lbs.

I did not weight the first Exocet, so I am not sure what it weighed, and now because it took in some water I can't get an accurate weight.

I have not tried carrying the sail and board at the same time. I tried it with the BIC and I could do it but not for long.

I agree, a carbon one with no dagger board would be ideal. I hope Exocet gets the message. They have their 10'2" in carbon without a dagger board, but it is smaller and with everyone raving about the 11'8", I thought going with the 10' would be small enough, and I was right.

I really feel the 10' at 175 liters is the ideal size for me. It performs like a small board but has the extra size to catch waves faster, plane faster, and it feels more stable to me.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10'2" has a drawn in tail with lots of rocker. it plods onto a plane compared to 10' 11'5" carbon, 11'8" or kona one.

the only time i have enjoyed the 10'2" is when the wind is side off and the surf has push.

my 11'5" carbon is to die for. some will be available by october. i have my name on at least 2....

Goodwind

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brynkaufman2 wrote:
The board weighs 29.8 lbs with the fin and foot straps on it. The BIC is 33.6 lbs.

I did not weight the first Exocet, so I am not sure what it weighed, and now because it took in some water I can't get an accurate weight.

I agree, a carbon one with no dagger board would be ideal. I hope Exocet gets the message. They have their 10'2" in carbon without a dagger board, but it is smaller and with everyone raving about the 11'8", I thought going with the 10' would be small enough, and I was right.

I really feel the 10' at 175 liters is the ideal size for me. It performs like a small board but has the extra size to catch waves faster, plane faster, and it feels more stable to me.

What do you mean by "it took in some water"? I don't expect the board to be taking in water after a few days of use. As is, the weight seems reasonable. As for the 10'2", in addition to the lower volume, I DON'T like its US fin box design. Power box is a lot more user friendly.

jingebritsen,

I am not aware that Exocet makes 11'5" windsup (according to their site). Are you talking about 11'8"? Is Exocet making a 10' carbon in the future?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: