myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
San Diego - Tourmaline wind minimums for wind-sup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rhorton1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:59 am    Post subject: San Diego - Tourmaline wind minimums for wind-sup Reply with quote

Looking to get my first ever session wind-supping in the waves. What are the minimums needed to get out? I have an 11'6" sup and up to a 6.5 sail. Summer waves are relatively flat here (good for a beginner!)... but the wind only hits 10-12 mph.

Are there any other beginner friendly wave-sailing-supping spots in San Diego? Tourmaline seems to be the only one where the wind isn't directly onshore. Thanks for your input.
jlederer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a smaller wave sail (5.5)and a smaller sup board (9'8 and under)as you are relying on the wave to plane,not the sail. This should be good in 10-12 and you will love the smaller gear.
loopless

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other guy uses a SUP/Sail at Tourmo. He uses a 5.5 I think and a pretty big SUP.

The 4-5 other regulars all use 100-120L freestyle wave or free ride boards with 6.3 to 6.9 sails, but then we don't go out in 10-12 mph, minimum is 12-15 mph.

Tourmo is a reliable spot as the direction is more side, and Mt Soledad compresses the wind so it's generally more windy in the typical WNW. But it's a fall/winter/spring sailing spot. Summer is pretty awful with crowds, small surf and light wind.

Another place to consider is Cardiff Reef( when's its small and blown-out). Wind direction is more onshore , but you get a good channel to slog out through. Another possibility is Corranado beach ( dog beach) up near the North Island NAS. Wind is side-shore in W/NW, but surf is usually just a small shore-dump.

One thing to be careful of is surfer conflict. There have been rumblings of banning kites after a woman swimmer got taken out last year (broken jaw) and windsurfing would probably get dragged into it, so try and avoid running any surfers over. You won't get much brotherly love from the 'locals' there, though most of the vibe is directed against kiters now.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, smaller sail and smaller board, unless waves are knee high
rhorton1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I'm 200 lb and will probably stick to my giant boat of a SUP until I get the hang of things.

I completely understand the issues with crowds. I'll have to pick a weekday to give this a try.

I have a 5.8 wave sail that I'll use if the 6.5 is too big.

Also thanks Loopless for the tips. I've never been to Cardiff, but Coronado would be a good spot wind-wise. Tiny waves might be just the ticket for a first timer. Just need to figure out how to carry my rig and strapless sup together down the beach...
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS. The biggest reason in my opinion for a small sail is that it is easier to uphall.
hilton08

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SUP sailing is great any time there is too much wind for regular SUP and not enough wind to plane on your regular short boards.

Stick to the 5.8 sail or smaller. You aren't relying on the power of the sail to get you planing, the waves will do that. You just need enough speed to get out and catch the wave with a few pumps coming in. The smaller sail will be easier to handle (hold up) while you are surfing.

The longer board should be fine (better) as long as the waves are small - more glide on the way out. Good idea to start in tiny surf and work your way up. Side shore wind is much better.

Plan on two trips to the water. You can set the board down on the beach near the waters edge, then bring down the sail, connect it, and slide the nose into the water grabbing the board around the tail or by the fin. If you have dual leash plugs, you can use them to attach a convenient handle to the tail.
loopless

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The good thing about Coronado (dog beach launch) is that there will be absolutely no-one else in the water beside you and a few labradors... the bad thing is that it's a hell of carry for a SUP/sail! We used to wave-sail that place in really strong W clearing winds as it is perfectly side-shore, but better wave gear has made those conditions tolerable at Tourmaline.
eghoffman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've sailed Tourmaline down to about 6 mph on a 8'10" SUP and a 5.8 SuperFreak, but that was a kinda sketchy day - it would probably be fine on a relatively flat day, but this particular day was about 5 feet. I'm only about 160, though. Below that wind range, it's hard to get enough momentum to actually pull into a wave. On a small day, it's pretty benign / safe, though, even without enough wind. You may not move, but you probably won't break anything. BTW, RDM, for sure. I can make it out on W or NW wind, but SW ruins the shape.

Cardiff rarely gets enough wind to bother anytime other than spring and, yes, more onshore, although it stays relatively clean when it's westerly. SW mucks it up, too.

Coronado just seems to close out. Might be fun to sail outside, but I wouldn't expect to ride many waves.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: