myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Odd at Rufus today.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhanson928

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:56 pm    Post subject: Odd at Rufus today..... Reply with quote

About 4;00 this afternoon I was looking for wind and cool water. Saw it had just "Kicked" on the Marker 41 readout of Iwindsurf, the direction SSW...so I thought...."Hey, the Wall" and headed that way...Nothing much actually going on, however...a couple of bigger sails and boards out of the RV Park by Maryhill, otherwise no one around...Turned around just before the boat ramp launch and was going to go back west...No kites out at Rufus, even. Got to the Bridge and it looked windy again, so I swung east, thinking..."ain't been to Rufus in a few years, maybe there"....Rigged my 4.2 and had a few wrestling match reaches....all the while watching what was going on around...Weird...
Almost dead north (or NNW) on the Washington wind farm machines...but when I slogged back to my van and checked the readout from Iwindsurf marker 41, it said it had been SSW and strong for the whole time I was swimming, waterstarting, going over the bars, and falling over backwards...Even the few kites who showed...they were all over the map...
Strange winds there today...not anything like what that graph was showing, but in retrospect, not that unusual for that section of the River, I guess. The water felt great.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Odd at Rufus today..... Reply with quote

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU. I had been elbowing myself in the ears for not going to Rufus yesterday once I realized that the wind forecast further east, where I live, wasn’t going to happen. The puzzling relationship between the Wall/Maryhill data vs wind on the water (WOW) has often left me cold about driving the extra distance when Roosevelt/Arlington fail to launch. Any explanations/translations for how to relate WOW to the Maryhill/Wall sensors would probably help a lot of readers. We know that NW = Ripslog = KOD (you’ll figure that out), but what about the nuances?

For example, back when there was a sensor at Roosevelt, the local kiters learned not to launch until the Rosey sensor wind strength rose to Arlington sensor wind speeds, because until then the wind hugged the water too much for good kiting. Now all we have is one sensor, and its direction data is bamfoozled (screw spellcheck) by the cliff towering above it.
ImmigrantJesus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject: Maryhill Wind Reply with quote

I have dubbed the wind at Maryhill the most consistent and best in the Gorge - purely due to the fact of how it shows on iWindsurf (what seems like every day)
I friend told me it was not necessarily what it appeared to be...
I never get out there because I can usually find wind elsewhere.
THANK YOU for shedding some light on the realities of what is going on there.
It would sure be nice if someone could clear this mystery up for all of us.
scottwerden

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Odd at Rufus today..... Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
The puzzling relationship between the Wall/Maryhill data vs wind on the water (WOW) has often left me cold about driving the extra distance when Roosevelt/Arlington fail to launch. Any explanations/translations for how to relate WOW to the Maryhill/Wall sensors would probably help a lot of readers. We know that NW = Ripslog = KOD (you’ll figure that out), but what about the nuances?

My rule of thumb is the Wall > 27 AND Maryhill > 25 in order for me to even think about driving out there (from Lyle).

I have been skunked way too many times when the Wall shows 28+ and Maryhill is ~20. The WOW at the Wall seems to be more highly correlated with the Maryhill sensor than the Wall sensor. And it reads ridiculously high - it can be reading 27-28 and I am on a 4.7, even when the wind is blowing straight down the river.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Odd at Rufus today..... Reply with quote

scottwerden wrote:
it reads ridiculously high - it can be reading 27-28 and I am on a 4.7, even when the wind is blowing straight down the river.

27-28 and 4.7 -- 5.2 if it's holey -- sounds about right for me at Arlington. Maybe the Swell City sensor is the oddball; we don't really know, do we?

It dismays me that I've gotten so pessimistic about driving more than an hour or so, but I got that way from years of skunks, so my pessimism is well earned. It has cost me some good days, but has also saved me from far more skunks. Each of us has to decide for himself which matters more ... skunks or scores ... and how a good or bad wind year affects that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: