myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Spin-out
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rangerider

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:19 am    Post subject: Spin-out Reply with quote

Had a fun day at the local lake yesterday with winds in the 10-20 knot range, crazy gusty but still a great time with probably 20 sailors present. I was using my gecko 120 and an Ezzy lion 7.5 rigged to the medium wind setting. Mast base just forward of the mid-point of the track and footsteps in the outboard position. My fin was a 43cm true Ames blade weed 2 that I have had for years and works well without spinning out with my 145L xcite ride. I was spinning out constantly yesterday regardless of wind strength, point of sail, water state etc although it was obviously worse upwind and more powered up. The front of the fin projects forward from the base and there is a gap between the fin and the bottom of the board (maybe I can take a pic later). I think it may be cavitating and precipitating spin-out. The spin-out was controllable but so frequent that it was really annoying - worse than I've had with any other board/fin combo. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if you could suggest a weed fin that works and seems to be less prone to spin out. Thanks
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was on about the same equipment Sunday - Firemove 122 and Ezzy Zephyr 7.5 with a MFC 42 fin. I spun out a couple of times. I little more downhaul and outhaul seemed to help. But I digress.

In a few weeks I will have to resort to my True Ames weed fins. Last year I had a big gap, as you described, between the lead edge of the fin and the bottom of the board. I solved that by filing a good portion of the front edge of the insert portion of the fin - actually both the front edge and the sides of the insert. The fin now fits quite well, without the gap. It actually took quite a lot of filing, but I think that it was worth the effort.

I have heard that the Makani weed fins work quite well. I have a couple of Black Project weed fins on order; they do not project from the front. I will have a report on them later in the summer.
rangerider

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should probably do the work to affix some foam to fill the gap - that may be all I need rather than a new fin. I have a smaller (I think it is a 38cm makani hahalua V2 as well which was better but still a problem for me last time I used it - I realize that I am the common denominator). The Maui Ultra Fins weed fin does not project so I was thinking of ordering one but maybe the problem is the gap and maybe it is me. I had plenty of outhaul as the wind picked up.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rising your boom a bit will help. That said, I hate weed fins. By design they are prone to spinout and do not point to windward very good. Weed fins require a much large fin per sail size compared to a standard fin. For you kit, your seems a bit on the small side. I have had pretty good luck with MFC weed fins....
whitevan01

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really need to fill in that gap. Weed fins usually come with a little strip of foam with adhesive on one side for that purpose. If not, a small piece of material cut from the fin cover and glued to the fin with contact cement works well in my experience.
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whitevan01 is right. True Ames fins should come with a foam strip that you shape to the leading edge that extends forward of the finbox. I'd contact True Ames, and I'm sure they can set you right up.

Regarding your spinout problem, NOVAAN is right about weed fins in general. I use weedfins myself at some locations, and I've found that True Ames's SB Blade Weed fins need to be larger than the norm to get good windward performance.

However, if the 46cm works well on a larger board, it could be that your problem is the mast track location in combination with your stance and too much pressure on your rear strap. I'd try moving the mast track back in increments to help identify the optimum location. Also, rather than rear foot pressure on the windward rail, try lifting the windward rail with your front foot and supporting it by pressing down towards leeward rail with the ball of your rear foot. It better drives upwind performance off the board's leeward rail and assists the fin in doing its job.
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use weed fins without spinning out . They are not as lively as their equivalent freeride fins, and maybe slower too, but it's the only drawback in my opinion.

I use Makanis, and I like the fact that they protrude forward since this changes less my setup. I also think the gap in you fin is the culprit. Spin out happens when you loose laminar flow on the fin. Introducing a lot of turbulence in the most forward area of the fin mus have an effect.
keycocker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catching a weed bit in the gap makes you spin. It often blows out before you go ashore.
We wax the board area under the little tip with a candle and put a little body putty or epoxy with thickener like talc or glass fibers cut from th edge of cloth in the gap ,then install the fin. After it hardens remove it and dress the repair.
Perfect fit and the fin can be changed or moved without damaging the foam filler strip.
I found those true Ames foam strips.can come unglued while sailing.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailboarder wrote:
Spin out happens when you loose laminar flow on the fin. Introducing a lot of turbulence in the most forward area of the fin must have an effect.

So, was Windsurfing Hawaii all wet when they marketed the Forefin expressly for the purpose of interrupting the flow to prevent spinout? Maybe someone wants to wade through its patent at
http://techportal.eere.energy.gov/patent.do/ID=6424 .

Better yet, try the full version at
http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=5,022,337.PN.&OS=PN/5,022,337&RS=PN .
whitevan01

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Sailboarder wrote:
Spin out happens when you loose laminar flow on the fin. Introducing a lot of turbulence in the most forward area of the fin must have an effect.

So, was Windsurfing Hawaii all wet when they marketed the Forefin expressly for the purpose of interrupting the flow to prevent spinout? Maybe someone wants to wade through its patent at
http://techportal.eere.energy.gov/patent.do/ID=6424 .

Better yet, try the full version at
http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=5,022,337.PN.&OS=PN/5,022,337&RS=PN .

the market spoke on that one
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: