myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Learn to surf swell in the Gorge.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
merriam

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might have a small chance with the gray hair & no hair extra points but if Jim Oats is there there's no chance for any of us.
westender

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Points deducted for full time sailors.
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottwerden wrote:

I can help with the math. First of all, I would give extra points for any artificial body parts that the rider has. So for instance, if you land a back loop and you have a pace maker, you get 10% more points. If you land the loop and you have an artificial knee, maybe another 20% boost.

I like the "cyborg" factored in, and I think it's worth considering.

Loops of most sort will NOT gain points unless they result in continuation of the swell ride. Which almost never happens. In fact, I am considering negative points for air, because it goes against the point of the contest. The point is to extend the ride, not to end it.
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

merriam wrote:
I might have a small chance with the gray hair & no hair extra points but if Jim Oats is there there's no chance for any of us.

I think Jim Oak would not intimidate in such a contest. All due respect to Jim, there are many windsurfers I see who routinely have extended swell rides between Swell City and the Hatchery, which is a very great distance to ride swell nonstop. I often see Jim get good but relatively short rides in his favorite zone at the Hatch; perhaps this is due to his prudence because the Hatchery is a VERY hazardous zone in which to ride swell. Or maybe he just has other interests. I WOULD like to see Jim go for it and see how long he can extend his rides in a bonafide contest. Because I think he could compete, if he wanted to. He would certainly be welcome to represent from the Hatchery.

Every competitor will have to beat upwind like crazy for several tacks from Cheap Beach to get into position (selecting the biggest swell) for a very long ride.

I think a minumum of 20mph wind would be a good standard for the contest. At 20 and 5.2m, there are ridable swells. But I would prefer more wind to make it more accessible for bigger twinkle-toed windsurfers AND to demonstrate how long the rides can go.
scottwerden

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The key is not just wind speed it is wind direction, wind consistency, and length of fetch. It can be a 4.2 day (for us fat bastards) and the swell can be disorganized slop or it can be big, long, fatties marching down the river. The wind sensor really doesn't tell you how good it is on the water. We all know when a good marine push is setting up for the next day, just schedule it around one of those. They are usually pretty good.
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, the decision to hold the competition would be made by the judges primarily via eyeballs rather than copious amounts of data (although a forecast is handy). Rest assured, it will not be a 5 hour wait/fret on the beach like it often is at the Blowout/Downwinder.
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:51 am    Post subject: Today will be an excellent day for riding swell. Reply with quote

Today will be an excellent day for riding swell.
Send me a private message (pm) if you want to learn a bit in person, because I will be at Cheap Beach today. I can beach at Swell or Hatchery too.
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teachable conditions right now between Swell and Hatchery, fyi. Send a private message with phone # if you want some, and I can meet you somewhere between the two sites on land (Swell, Cheap, or Hatch).
Twisted Evil
brettn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biff-
Sorry we haven't connected!
Andy Brandt saw her jibing and reaching back and forth as I was doing the freestyle clinic, and added her to the list of people he was yelling instructions at. We ended up signing her up for the remainder of the clinic, in the middle skill level group.
Thanks! I do still want to get her some TOW with you. Maybe both of us. I can sort of sail overpowered Gorge swell but it isn't effortless and pretty like when others do it. So I will keep your number and coordinate in the future.

Thanks again!
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where I was, it was a good day to learn skills on the water today. Steady 20, big board, small swells, sparsely populated out there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: