myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Learn to surf swell in the Gorge.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:11 pm    Post subject: Learn to surf swell in the Gorge. Reply with quote

I started this topic anew after my initial post got buried in digressions of various sorts, some of them very helpful, some of them real (snarky) buzzkills. Let's keep it positive here, and get more stoked!

I don't know if anybody is teaching anything like this in the Gorge. So it has occurred to me to see if anybody wants to learn some extra relatively low-impact windsurfing skills in order to increase enjoyment of the sport. Specifically, going at 90 degree angles to most windsurfers' ("lawn-mowing") pathways.

Topics I will cover:
Safety considerations and recommendations.
Weather considerations and location of ridable swell.
Rigging for riding swell.
Techniques for surfing swell (includes harness lines, feet position, footstrap usage, walking the board, sweet spot location, etc.).
Stuff I can't think of right now.

This would be for intermediate to advanced windsurfers.
Send me a private message if you are interested, and we can connect at one of the following launches: Rowena/East Mayer, Rufus, Luhr Jensen, Cheap Beach, Doug's Beach, Swell City, Hatchery, Viento.

Thanks.
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:15 pm    Post subject: 1st person point of view Reply with quote

This is a good video of what it looks like when you're surfing on the swell. It should get you stoked to try or learn. It's not that tough, but there are numerous points to learn in order to succeed. I can teach it.

(Note: it's NOT me and it's NOT the Gorge...although it could be both.) Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJUUf3weVi4

Last edited by biffmalibu on Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a video (videos) showing what it looks like from 2nd person point of view. It shows good feet position, sail handling, and sweet spot positioning.

But there are NUMEROUS tricks of the trade that I can teach in order to increase chances of success and safety. I'm not going to get into time-consuming debates on a bulletin board; I don't live online. And I think it's best to do "tell and show" on the beach anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2suCwZCuaY&list=PLLxidOAtQltsG9VI2vnTMzE7wRN3VvdU_&index=2

Last edited by biffmalibu on Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

willysurf

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:37 pm    Post subject: video? Reply with quote

Biff,

Perhaps you could post a link to a video illustrating the swell riding technique you are offering to teach? That should get the discussion going...

-WS
philodog

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this an offer of free lessons or paid lessons?
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philodog wrote:
Is this an offer of free lessons or paid lessons?

I will teach on land and water for 30-60 minutes. If the learner thinks my teaching is worth our time, I will accept donations of various sort including (but not exclusively) food and drink and $, but this is not necessary. I value my professional time at $30/hour, because that is my pay grade in the "real world".

I won't be spending too much time here in the forum because I do not live online. And I think it's best to just DO it anyway.

Feel free to send me a private message with any interest or complaints.
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: video? Reply with quote

willysurf wrote:
Biff,

Perhaps you could post a link to a video illustrating the swell riding technique you are offering to teach? That should get the discussion going...

-WS

If somebody want's to loan me TWO very expensive video cameras (GoPro, for example), I will make video. One camera for me, one camera for a very competent chaser who is capable of following me closely.

I don't want a discussion (it typically ends up being "wanking" here in the forum); I want to teach who wants to learn. I can surf swell, and I can teach it too.

Additionally, I have been playing around with an idea of a surf style contest in the Gorge (primarily for geezers, I guess). It would be between Swell City and The Hatchery, of course. The 3 judges would be seated at Cheap Beach (an excellent vantage point). Swell surfers get NO points for aerials unless they end up in a surf style landing, such as a backside hop onto swell, surfing. Points go for 1) duration of ride, 2) various freestyle maneuvers that do NOT end the ride with a schlogg or wipeout, 3) type of board (polyester gets points over big fat composite, shorter gets more points, etc.), and 4) age of rider (older gets more points).

Maybe there is a mathematician out there who can assist with the scoring algorithm.

Sponsors would be great. Especially beer, burgers/veggie dogs, and a grand prize. Creating something is fun and rewarding.

Please, try to keep the discussion positive. Tearing something down is too easy and very weak. Not something to be proud of.

*If you want to get negative or personal, nut-up and send me a private message; we can make an appointment to meet in person for discussion.
scottwerden

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that is a great idea. I have also thought a pure swell riding contest would be pretty cool. Especially if it is tilted a bit towards the more mature riders out there. Old farts in other words. And what better place then Swell City which is well represented by the older contingent?

I can help with the math. First of all, I would give extra points for any artificial body parts that the rider has. So for instance, if you land a back loop and you have a pace maker, you get 10% more points. If you land the loop and you have an artificial knee, maybe another 20% boost.

Just do it before 2pm because that is when I take my nap. Smile

Seriously, I like it and am willing to help out.
westender

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would be the wind minimum?? Twisted Evil

Points for gray hair, extra for no hair.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: