myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Doug Haut boards
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
poussin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:48 am    Post subject: Doug Haut boards Reply with quote

Hi All,

I,ve been wondering about Doug Haut boards.
I know there is at least one of you out there who uses and covets these boards.

I'm very curious about them. Maybe 10-15 years ago, someone had a Haut board in there attic and offered it to me for free. I turned it down since it was so old school.......
Now I'm kicking myself over it! It was a mix of lime green fading into a darker
green (beautiful to the eye) and in perfect shape.
Doug Haut is a local shaper in Santa Cruz and as far as I know, is still shaping,
but primarily surf boards.
I thought it could be really cool to have him shape me a board but am not sure if his shapes would still be good in todays world of boards.
I think there is one of you out there who sails his boards and loves them.
Please chime in here and let me know your thoughts.

Look forward to hearing from you or anyone else with info on these boards and Doug Haut.

Thanks!

Greg
kevinkan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah you definitely should've taken that Haut! I've never sailed one of his boards, but I've surfed some of his shapes and really like them. I believe his son, Matt, was also a windsurfer and shaped boards as well.

There's a guy up here who surfs OB and Crissy who has a newer custom Haut sailboard... looks to be in the 5 year old range IIRC.

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
ERROR!!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:43 pm    Post subject: Thanks to Doug Haut Reply with quote

My first two boards were manufactured Windsurfers which were twelve feet long. In the very, very early 1980's, Kevin Mitchell and I each got a twelve foot styrofoam surfboard blank and custom shaped it ourselves in Berkeley. We could make the boards shorter but we couldn't put much nose rocker into them because the blanks were so flat. We drove them to Haut Surfboards in Santa Cruz and Doug fiberglassed them and put fin boxes into them. We added mast step and foot strap inserts. I believe we were Doug's first windsurfer customers. Thank you, Doug, for your contribution to windsurfing. I learned to fiberglass boards for myself, experimenting with concave bottoms and tri-fins, plus experimenting with seat harnesses, mast extensions and seven meter sails (see image). Eventually, I decided to stop working with hazardous chemicals. By the way, Kevin Mitchel was the first person to windsurf at Half Moon Bay and we were among the very first to windsurf at Wadell.

Seven meter sail at Berkeley.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  474.44 KB
 Viewed:  19717 Time(s)

Seven meter sail at Berkeley.jpg

isobars

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Doug Haut boards Reply with quote

poussin wrote:
I turned it down since it was so old school.......
Now I'm kicking myself over it! ...
I thought it could be really cool to have him shape me a board but am not sure if his shapes would still be good in todays world of boards.

You must not read many of my posts, or those of others' who FAR prefer the boards of 10 years ago over today's potato chips. If they were all priced identically, I would -- and I do, with almost no exceptions* -- take the longer, narrower, narrower-tailed boards from roughly 1995 through about 2006-8 in a heartbeat, for one simple reason: they are designed to excel at exactly what I most like doing on the water in the conditions (the Gorge) most readily available to me. As best as I can tell from first-hand testing, asking others, extensive magazine testing and analysis, and better sailors than I in this forum, very few of today's boards are designed with my personal preferences in mind.

* That single exception is billed as a retro design (no wonder I liked it so much), taking advantage of the best of both worlds. I don't know about that, but it sure excels at what I prefer. It was the first board I've felt was worth my retail money since the last century.

To illustrate my preference for older boards, I'd post a picture of most of them spread across my lawn if I could figure out how to post photos. They're all wave boards carefully selected, vetted by my own testing, and all 30 ridden this year. That's how much I like them. Price ... schmice; they're THAT good, many of them at ANY price.

Yes, you shouldda ...
2bluehawaiins

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:09 pm    Post subject: Haut sailboards Reply with quote

I have a collection of about 8 sailboards all range from 1992 to 98.

I have a few favorite ones that I still sail all the time when it's really windy.
8'2" chop hopper and an 8'0 when it's super windy. They are both around 68 lt, I'm not sure as they were both custom glass boards.

They handle super windy conditions and chop great.

When conditions get crazy I always pull out a Haut board and feel super confident that it can handle anything.

end of jump.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  177.54 KB
 Viewed:  19680 Time(s)

end of jump.jpg

2bluehawaiins

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:21 pm    Post subject: Haut Boards Reply with quote

The sail above is a 3.6 and that is my 8.0 Haut.

Doug has shaped surfboards for decades and I have never found a sailboard that carves a jibe like his boards and the boards are scary fast.
I have two haut surfboards also both 7'4" hybrid boards.
Here are just a few sailboards I still have today.

The green one, second to the right is a magic board for sure!

Super light 17 lb

Got it for $100 and have sailed it for years, my favorite at Tomales when its about 25 mph average.
Notice all my boards have the mast track back not old school from the 80's.

Haut 8 2 Thanks Paul.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  273.27 KB
 Viewed:  19676 Time(s)

Haut 8 2 Thanks Paul.jpg

top haut boards.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  783.32 KB
 Viewed:  19676 Time(s)

top haut boards.JPG

2bluehawaiins

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:31 pm    Post subject: Haut Reply with quote

I couldn't help I had to post one more. Ok two more.

tomales may 23 010.JPG
 Description:
This one is an 8'4" and a little on the heavy side with a little more volume, but is spotless, not even a ding.
 Filesize:  826.16 KB
 Viewed:  19672 Time(s)

tomales may 23 010.JPG

end of jibe.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  191.78 KB

end of jibe.jpg

top of jump sherman.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  175.64 KB

top of jump sherman.jpg

ShreddinEd

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool collection 2Blue. Love the graphics, wish they'd come back.

ERROR! what year is that picture at Berkeley from? It's in that period with harnesses but not RAF sails, that's so cool old school! Did you sail Waddell with those things?
ERROR!!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:26 pm    Post subject: to edscott Reply with quote

edscott, the picture is from a drag race in the very early 80's at Berkeley. I bought some Pacific Surf Sails from Barbara Ochel, who sold me my first Windsurfer in the late 70's (serial #94451). Here's a picture from the early 80's at Wadell.

Wadell in the 80's scaled and cropped.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  283.01 KB
 Viewed:  18769 Time(s)

Wadell in the 80's scaled and cropped.jpg

Last edited by ERROR!!! on Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:42 am; edited 2 times in total
Ronald.C

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello, totally unscripted here.

The timing could not have been better.

My Haut (it's my wife's really) is 2 days shy of 24 years old. We lived up the street from Doug's shop on Swift Street, 353J Western Drive. Funny how things stick in your memory. Picked it up on the way home from work on Christmas eve.

That board is the root of all my windsurfing evil. I know it's hindered my progress, but when it's on, the ride is still magic. It's been a few weeks, but it sits ready to go. Without a doubt, the longest and most faithful tool in my box.

The King's below has opened the door in some new and fantastic ways. Just last Saturday was the latest. The Saturday after Thanksgiving, shared with a couple of known windsurfers here, was truly my best for the year.

The Lopez above has only been ridden once in 2 years since getting the King's, but its too good to ever get rid of.

Merry Christmas and thanks for sharing the Doug Haut stories

IMG_0190.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1010.04 KB
 Viewed:  19586 Time(s)

IMG_0190.JPG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: