myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Oceanside Rescue
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
knifeonwater

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:55 am    Post subject: Oceanside Rescue Reply with quote

Does anybody have any info on the windsurfer that was rescued by the Coast Guard at Oceanside on Sunday? His name is Neil and I think he lives in Portland. The paramedics on site said he was "unresponsive" when pulled from the water, but the Tillamook paper called it a rescue. Great news, but they had no other info; what happened, condition, etc... Hoping he is all
right.
ramps

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neal Lamanna. It happened Sunday 06/07/15. Neal's wife noticed that he was sailing way out and then could no longer see him, so she called 911. The Coast Guard said that he was conscious and clinging to his board when they rescued him but once in the chopper became unresponsive. they worked him over pretty good doing CPR. He was Life Flighted to Tillamook General where they got him breathing somewhat on his own and then transferred him to Emmanuel Hospital. There was a lot of sea water in his lungs so he has some bleeding in them, but now he is outpacing the ventilator and his organs are getting stronger. He is heavily sedated and having seizures, which the neurologist says indicates some "irritation" of the brain tissues, but they have found a medication that controls them. they have been keeping his body temperature low to help with the brain healing, and last night (Monday) they were going to start gradually raising his body temperature.
His best friends have been with him and we all along and are hoping and praying for a full recovery. Please join us with your prayers or your positive energy transmission of choice to help him pull through.
merriam2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramps wrote:
There was a lot of sea water in his lungs so he has some bleeding in them, .

Or maybe it was this: http://www.outsideonline.com/fitness/triathlons/The-Fatal-Risk-in-Triathlons.html?utm_source=dispatch&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=11042014

My wife had an episode in the Gorge a few years ago, it was a mystery to the doctors what had happened since she is very fit and she clearly hadn't inhaled water. She was in the hospital a few days until we came up with a reference to the SIPE condition.

Tom
knifeonwater

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ramps, thanks for the update. It sounds like he is improving. My prayers are with Neal and his family for a full recovery. Please keep me posted. My name is Steve and I have sailed Oceanside with Neal several times over the years.
ramps

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You bet. Dunno about the SIPE possibility, but they did have to go into the lungs and remove a bunch of fluid and other crud. He still has tubes draining his lungs and the fluid still has blood in it, which I think is a result of the intense CPR that was administered. We really won't know anything about his brain until they start taking him off the sedatives. If anyone can come back from this, Neal can. My name is Rich, BTW.
markl759

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ramps, thanks for posting. My name is Mark, I sail at oceanside a lot. My prayers are with Neil and his family as well.
AfterDarkMark

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:32 pm    Post subject: Oceanside Rescue Reply with quote

It sure is distressing when a fellow windsurfer encounters overwhelming difficulties - my best wishes and my prayers go out to Neal for healing and a full recovery! I was also windsurfing at Oceanside when Neal went missing and witnessed the response on the bluff from Netarts Fire & Rescue. Thankyou folks! It is sad to be there and be part of the scene, knowing a member of your tribe is down, but hopefully not out. It could easily be any one of us. I've been there - breakdown at sea, had the helicopter looking for me, etc. After I learned of the situation on Sunday, I was keeping an extra sharp lookout when I went back out, but figured anyone in trouble would be long south by Netarts Bay by that time. Then I noticed the Coast Guard helicopter searching the area - that was a relief! After seeing them sweeping the main sailing area a bit, the C.G. worked their way south where I understand they eventually found Neal near the bay entrance. Thank goodness they got to him in time and he was still alive (barely)! All of us coastal sailors know how damn cold and rough that water is, and how quickly things can get dangerous. (see the wave smacking me in photo below). So a big shout out to the Coast Guard - THANKYOU for what you do, and Neal, you get better soon man! Hope you're back out with us in the waves this summer. Included below are two photos my girlfriend Callie took last Sunday that happened to catch the helicopter doing its search pattern. Y'all take care out there.

CG Helo over Oceanside.jpg
 Description:
Almost through the impact zone, C.G. in distance looking for Neal.
 Filesize:  199.04 KB
 Viewed:  28238 Time(s)

CG Helo over Oceanside.jpg

KME Munched Oceanside.jpg
 Description:
I just knew I would make it over -NOT! Denied, this time...
 Filesize:  300.58 KB
 Viewed:  28238 Time(s)

KME Munched Oceanside.jpg

isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CG's quick response is highly impressive, given the barrage of calls they get from tourists demanding an immediate rescue whenever they see a WSer fall into the water. "No, you don't understand, Officer. He fell OFF HIS SAILBOARD INTO THE OCEAN. He'll drown in minutes if you don't save him immediately."

Sheesh. Those guys earn their pay and my respect more every day.
ramps

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: Neal is about the same, they are trying to deal with the seizures he has been having. We are still hopeful for a recovery, and if anyone can come back from this he can. The Coast Guard has been calling his wife asking about him, even their big chief phoned her. Those are some caring people out there, extremely refreshing - gives one some hope for humanity after all.
knifeonwater

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on Neal!!! We have a place in Netarts, the locals are great so I was not surprised by the way they handled things. They all take the ocean and it's dangers VERY seriously. Very cool of the Coast Guard to reach out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: